Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting out

Options
  • 21-10-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I don't know if im posting in the right sub forum here, I have a friend that wants to get into airsoft. He wants to know where to start. I would also like to find out for him if there are any beginner sets that you can buy, containing a gun and some accessories and where you can buy them. Im currently situated in NI so was wondering if there were any Airsoft shops in Belfast, is it cheaper up here or is it better to buy online. Appreciate any heads up you can give me on the matter.
    Forum mods, feel free to move to the proper sub forum if necessary!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

biomed32 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I don't know if im posting in the right sub forum here, I have a friend that wants to get into airsoft. He wants to know where to start. I would also like to find out for him if there are any beginner sets that you can buy, containing a gun and some accessories and where you can buy them. Im currently situated in NI so was wondering if there were any Airsoft shops in Belfast, is it cheaper up here or is it better to buy online. Appreciate any heads up you can give me on the matter.
    Forum mods, feel free to move to the proper sub forum if necessary!

If you are based in Belfast, you come under different laws and restrictions with regard to purchasing and owning Airsoft devices.
    http://www.airsoftireland.com/forums/
    ASI is an excellent NI based forum and probably a more accurate source of information.
    Hope this helps.

Edit- just realised your mate might be down south...
    Eitherway, believe it or not but you will probably find that prices are better down south in many cases. Many guys whinge and bitch about the prices from retailers here - not realising how good they have it.
    Some of the UK retailers have very good prices for some gear - have a look at firesupport for example.

Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

If he hasn't played yet, get him to book a rental kit at the nearest airsoft site. In general, you'll get an AEG, BBs and eye protection minimum in a rental package and playing a game with a rental package is cheaper than dropping hundreds on kit, showing up to your first game and deciding the sport isn't for you (I've seen it happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lux-et-veritas

if you are in the north, you will have to be ukara registered before you can buy a rif in a shop or online unless you are all you will be able to get is a brightly coloured one ( one that is more than 50% bright green/pink/orange etc).. however toy soldier airsoft is on sandown road i think....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

actually there are different restrictions between the north and the mainland, they both have different restrictions in terms of fps, the north is actually the same as the south for example with no allowance for the 500fps springers you get on the mainland, i believe ukara might also be slightly different

as other have said best bet is to check out the ASI forum

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

cheers guys for the information, my guy is based down in the south so going on your posts you would reccomend buying down south, he wanted me to get an idea if it was cheaper or easier for me to get the equipment up here.
    Ill get him out with a group of guys and some rental gear first, I think that might be the best bet for beginning.
    Thanks again and really appreciate the heads up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lux-et-veritas

Puding wrote: »
    actually there are different restrictions between the north and the mainland, they both have different restrictions in terms of fps, the north is actually the same as the south for example with no allowance for the 500fps springers you get on the mainland, i believe ukara might also be slightly different

as other have said best bet is to check out the ASI forum

thanks for the correction, although as far as i am aware though the regulations covering "real imitation firearms" (real steel coloured) and "imitation firearms" (51% or more brightly coloured) still applies in northern ireland as it does in mainland uk... please excuse me if im mistaken though its been a while since i was there:)

Advertisement