Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Cooking Club Week 39: Caramel Squares

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

...and by the way, herself's officemates all think they're great as well.
    At this rate, I may need to make another batch this week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Definitely going to try these. Have tried caramel squares twice and the first time I think I must have done something wrong with the base because it all stayed in the tin when I tried to take them out at the very end.
    Last weekend I tried a different recipe and they were so greasy and horrible, they even had butter in the chocolate topping. Were horrible!

Need to find the 'perfect' recipe so hoping this is it :)

One thing I do think makes them look very impressive is if you drizzle a small bit of white chocolate over the top of them and then drag a fork/skewer over it to feather it in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I add halved toasted hazelnuts to the caramel, nice bit to them. If you want to be really indulgent, add some melted mars to the choccy layer.

My preferred and foolproof recipe
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/341003/Chocolate-hazelnut-caramel-bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Faith wrote: »
    :pac:those manky-looking (IMO) mass-produced ones that you see in supermarkets and the like. I want a recipe that is almost a heart attack in a square :D

You're right, the shop-bought ones promise so much but just don't deliver. Like a scone or muffin where someone has been scroungy with the butter! :)

So, I made them. And I don't have a photo!

They were absolutely fabulous!

A couple of things...

I made mine with evaporated milk, not condensed milk. i added the sugar amount that you specified and it worked out just fine. It turned out thick and deep brown. I used evaporated milk because I had two tins of it in the press that were gathering dust.

When cooking the milk and sugar, I stirred it until melted, set the heat to simmer, put the lid on the pot and simply neglected it for an hour and a half or so. Turned out just fine.

With the sugar I also used what I had: half white caster and half muscovado.

The biscuit base was great, too!

I will be making it again soon with the other tin that I still have left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

So, I made them. And I don't have a photo!

NOOO!!! I LIVE for your photos.:o They make everything look so appetising!;)

Thanks, Trí. There are some nice photos up already, though!

I'm going to make these again next week! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Thanks, Trí. There are some nice photos up already, though!

I'm going to make these again next week! :pac:

And take lots of photies, I hope.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Made these today following Faith's recipe (thanks Faith :))

Turned out really well - my only difficulty was getting the caramel from fudge to caramel without burning it. One for the repertoire.

CaramelSq.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm so glad they're working out for people!

I made them myself this evening for a bake sale I'm doing tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

Batch number 4 to be made tomorrow - herself and bump heartily approve that recipe Faith :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Have been drooling over these all week, and stumbled upon baking club just this morning..will be giving them a shot today..only downside is that the boy doesn't like them or eat any rubbish, so I'll end up eating them all, I can't bring them to work cos they need to be kosher, and my neighbours are diabetics!! mwaaah!! I am dying to make them!!

Q: Do you really need the golden syrup? I don't have any and don't want to buy a tub just for two spoonfuls..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Made em last night and used Galaxy Cookie Crumble on top just for an extra crunch! May I just say they turned out AMAZING :D Sooooooooo nommy! Housemates loved em as well! Great recipe Faith! Gonna make em again next weekend! First time making caramel as well and it turned out pretty good after I followed instructions :pac:

Q: Do you really need the golden syrup? I don't have any and don't want to buy a tub just for two spoonfuls..?

Yeah, you really do. It stops sugar crystals forming in the caramel afaik. It doesn't go off quickly though, so a tin would last for ages.

Finally got a photo or two.
    From batch #2, which used the dark brown sugar for the caramel and had one half done with milk chocolate topping (I like a lot of topping, sue me :D ) and the other with white chocolate (G&B's white chocolate):

178194.jpg

178195.jpg

Yeah, you really do. It stops sugar crystals forming in the caramel afaik. It doesn't go off quickly though, so a tin would last for ages.
    Or get a squeezy tube and there's even less mess than a tin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Squeezy tube? Excellent, thanks everyone! Will get baking :)

They look fantastic, Sparks! Did you double the caramel recipe?

They look fantastic, Sparks! Did you double the caramel recipe?
    Not for that batch, no - just used fewer tins :D
    First batch was double your recipe into two 14x24cm tins and an 18x18 tin; the batch in the photos used your recipe's amounts into one 14x24 for the milk chocolate and the 18x18 for the white chocolate.

I am wondering though - what would these be like if you used an actual caramel (ie. sugar + water taken to 350F and add dairy) recipe? Would the caramel be too tough?

...and that's batch #3 in the freezer :D
    Getting great milage out of this one Faith!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well the only way to know is to give it a go Sparks.

I haven't done much with boiling sugar since one diasterous attempt as a kid. But I have some vague idea of various stages, ball, soft, hard, crack as you go hotter. And as you for go hotter they get harder. 350F sounds very hot and its hard.

I think this needs a soft rich mix. So the OP looks pretty spot on to me. (although I can't indulge right now :))

Mellor is spot on. 350 would be the max that a sugar syrup should be taken to, and it would become solid when cooled - you would use it for something like peanut brittle at that temperature, or makes candies like Wether's Original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Stumbled across this thread while searching for the word "diabetes"...

my daughter has been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and loves caramel squares, which due to the high amounts of sugar cause a slight problem, I am trying to modify my recipe (which is more or less the same as the one mentioned here and tastes fantastic by the way) to suit someone with diabetes better by reducing the sugar. I have the sugar in the pastry sorted, I have found a decent replacement for that, but what I need to know is, does anyone have a clue if it's possible to make a sugar reduced (but still tasty) caramel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just thinking there, are these like Toffee Pops? If they are, well then I'll be making them post-haste!

Just need to get my hands on the narcotics that they put in Toffee Pops! :D

Mellor is spot on. 350 would be the max that a sugar syrup should be taken to, and it would become solid when cooled - you would use it for something like peanut brittle at that temperature, or makes candies like Wether's Original.
    Have just realised that my deep-fry thermometer is also a candy thermometer, so I'll have a go at this this weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sparks wrote: »
    Have just realised that my deep-fry thermometer is also a candy thermometer, so I'll have a go at this this weekend :)
    I'd love to do these with a stringy/chewy toffee caramel - is it just a matter of boiling the life out of the caramel?

Not exactly, you need it at a higher temperature to produce the different types of confectionary. The higher the temperature, the more the sugar dissolves and it creates a smoother, firmer texture. It's approximately 240F for fudge, 250F for caramel and 285F for toffee. You'd need a thermometer for sure.

So I made these again!

I brought them into work and they were very well received.

I'll be making them again next week and will take a photo of them then.

My tip on doing the chocolate would be...

I msyelf like "yielding" chocolate rather than hard. I find that a teaspoonful or two of cream or sour cream added to the melted chocolate - to make a kind of ganache - works great. After the slab is chilled in the fridge for a few hours it is at the right level of firmness to allow it to be cut cleanly. If you want it that way, of course. :)

After the slab is chilled in the fridge for a few hours it is at the right level of firmness to allow it to be cut cleanly. If you want it that way, of course. :)
    But if you don't cut it, you'd have to eat the entire slab in one.... go.

Sir, I like your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I had a go at this today. I only had a round tin so made use of it. The caramel didn't set as much as I would have thought but it was grand. I also used a bit more chocolate than others but instead of chucking it out I lobed more on top. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that were bloody gorgeous!

68062ab7.jpg

6ab35a60.jpg

• Advertisement

Not enough chocolate and only barely enough caramel ;):D

Mine are in the fridge now and look yum! Just wondering if people normally cut the chocolate before its fully set or is it ok to cut when it's fully set?
    Just have visions of trying to cut it and all caramel coming out the edges and none left in the middle!

Leave it in the tin when you cut it :)

Right I'm all done now, came out really well. Thanks Faith!
    One question though - do you normally store them in the fridge or not?

I've tried Caramel Squares a few times before and was always a disaster, once the base fell apart when I cut them, another time the chocolate was too oily cause the receipe had butter/oil in it, another time the caramel split so this is the first time they've worked out and tasted nice!

Here's a pic - I made them in two tins because I didn't have one that was the right size but had two that added together to the right size. One's more a loaf tin so the slices from that are more caramel rectangles than squares.

Hubbie doesn't even like caramel squares normally but he still likes them so I'd call that a success :D

Although I can't wait til my daughter is old enough that I can get her to stand at the caramel for all that time it needs stirring.

6280704397_5d7e2fb235.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Haven't been able to take part in the cooking club for ages but made these today. They're amazing! I was terrified when I was making the caramel but it turned out really really well

69d90646.jpg

Apanachi wrote: »
    Stumbled across this thread while searching for the word "diabetes"...

my daughter has been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and loves caramel squares, which due to the high amounts of sugar cause a slight problem, I am trying to modify my recipe (which is more or less the same as the one mentioned here and tastes fantastic by the way) to suit someone with diabetes better by reducing the sugar. I have the sugar in the pastry sorted, I have found a decent replacement for that, but what I need to know is, does anyone have a clue if it's possible to make a sugar reduced (but still tasty) caramel?

You could be better off just making them as normal, and giving her a smaller portion as a treat.
    I use sugar suitable for diabetics sometimes and too much of it gives you a dodgey tummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

So. Yeah.
    I love you.
    The team loves you.

396297_10151219682535604_899715603_23429834_1157062530_n.jpg

I added toasted mixed nuts, and there's white and milk chocolate on top.
    AWESOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

any tips for making the caramel set? I've tried these twice, and it just stays a bit too gooey to cut/eat! I tried leaving it on the heat for longer, and only putting a thin layer over the biscuit, but no luck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

What I did was keep low heat, stirring, for bloody ages - I think I was cooking it for about a solid half hour. And every little while, I'd plonk a bit onto a cold plate, and poke it.. then, when it held my finger print, I knew it would set.

ETA - But I know that's the advice the lovely Faith has given.. sorry I've nothing unique to add!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just had to make these so got some golden syrup posted over. They were immense! Everyone that tried them wanted more. I used Milka Alpine Milk for the top and it was well worth the extra euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

What chocolate should you use? Don't like very rich/heavy/overly chocolately things. What about wonderbar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Wonderbar isn't chocolate - it's chocolate flavoured. Get some plain tesco chocolate or something, it will be fine, but please - no Wonderbar!

Susie is right. Never use poor quality chocolate! My budget is always low, so I tend to use Tesco Finest chocolate as a compromise. I doubt you'll like these though, if you don't like rich heavy things! :)

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Wonderbar isn't chocolate - it's chocolate flavoured. Get some plain tesco chocolate or something, it will be fine, but please - no Wonderbar!
    That's what I thought but I find plain chocolate (with the % cocoa written on it) very rich - I don't really like it. I thought it would be too rich for my liking. Do you mean the 80% cocoa? I used it for biscuit cake and I found I could only take a small bit as it was just so rich.

I'd use a milk chocolate so. Chocolate can have almost any cocoa content. Milk chocolate tends to be 30 - 50% cocoa, dark chocolate is 50% or more. The higher the cocoa content, the darker, richer and more bitter the chocolate. Look for something like Tesco Finest Milk Chocolate, or Lindt 35% Milk Chocolate.

• Advertisement

I'd use a milk chocolate so. Chocolate can have almost any cocoa content. Milk chocolate tends to be 30 - 50% cocoa, dark chocolate is 50% or more. The higher the cocoa content, the darker, richer and more bitter the chocolate. Look for something like Tesco Finest Milk Chocolate, or Lindt 35% Milk Chocolate.
    I'll try that, thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

These have now been made in Moldova and Russia after some guests begged me for the recipe to take home :D

These have now been made in Moldova and Russia after some guests begged me for the recipe to take home :D

Amazing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

That's what I thought but I find plain chocolate (with the % cocoa written on it) very rich - I don't really like it. I thought it would be too rich for my liking. Do you mean the 80% cocoa? I used it for biscuit cake and I found I could only take a small bit as it was just so rich.

In fairness, if you don't like chocolate then maybe this recipe isn't for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I've never posted in this forum even though I've been using it for the past half a year!
    I'm a student who could barely butter their own toast 6 months ago; now have a few recipes under my belt and this is one of my favourites :)
    This is my second time making it, thought I might try and make it look a bit fancy by pouring some melted white chocolate over the top while the milk chocolate was still soft, and trying to decorate it a bit by ermmm....flicking? the white chocolate with a tooth-pick :cool:
    Might have gone a bit overboard with the amount used but I'm looking forward to it setting!
    If I can get a pic before myself & the rest of the family devour it I'll try and post it up, but for now:

AqtkMt_CMAAOAOJ.jpg

AqtkXUwCQAAzq71.jpg

Many thanks for the recipe! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement