Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*ATTENTION CHEMISTRY STUDENTS*

Options
  • 17-10-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi :D Just as a matter of interest, I'm obviously just at the beginning of 6th year yet my new ambition - yes, new (relatively undecided still!) - is to do vet med. But for UCD I need Chemistry.
    I don't do Chemistry. :(
    At the moment at least... :(
    And so therefore I pose the question. Is it possible to gain a HC3 or higher in the coming year if I take it up, with a lot of work, or would it still be perhaps too tricky?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Its a short enough course and with a lot of effort you could do quite well within a year. But it is a lot of work and you'll have to play catch up witht the experiments. If you're aiming for high points too you'll really be pressuring yourself, but if you think you can handle it, have a word with a chemistry teacher and see what they think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

It is possible, but it will be tough. If you're serious about getting a hc3 I would really recommend you get a grinds teacher. Also are you intending to use it for points towards vetenary? It would be really, really difficult to get a b1+ between now an the end of the year.

I wouldn't call lc higher chemistry a short course, including leaving out the option. Do you do physics? It's very similar in style to the physics course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

It's a very difficult course, but if think you can deal with the workload then go for it! Be sure to know all of the experiments, organic chemistry and atomic theory INSIDE OUT! Just by knowing these 8/9 chapters and the experiments, you can get a very high grade! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

It's a very difficult course, but if think you can deal with the workload then go for it! Be sure to know all of the experiments, organic chemistry and atomic theory INSIDE OUT! Just by knowing these 8/9 chapters and the experiments, you can get a very high grade! Good luck!

yes very true!

The first 8 chapter's of the chemistry book have accounted for around 22% of the paper each year!

Know all your experiments and that's 40%

And your fuels another another 12%.

For knowing then inside out. The c3 can be well obtained. And thats cutting out alot of stuff.

You'd obviously have more time to do more.

I'd recommend it but you HAVE to know the above inside out

Goodluck!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I'm repeating this year and I've taken up chemistry. To me it seems all about understanding. I did Biology from scratch last year and it was nearly all rote learning. Once you understand the basic concepts in Chemistry things come a lot easier. Other things begin to fall into place. Everything seems connected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hogwarts

Thanks everyone. I didn't know people could be so kind :)
    At this stage I think it would be best if I just keep to my own Leaving at the moment, and then next year and study it as a single subject during a gap year. I'll need a maximum obviously so best not to sabotage that now.
    Although, I'm actually repeating too becos I'm still a young 17 :p so maybe again the gap year next year miiiiiight be a good personal decision to make.

So, because I'm inexperienced and confused :rolleyes: I take it a Chemistry result from 2013 will be added to the list of qualified LC subject results from 2012? Not necessarily for points, they need to be achieved this year but I'm pondering on whether UCD'll accept that or not? As in, they won't consider it cheating or anything :eek:. So I can re-apply then with the HC3 or higher and be qualified for entry. Ya? :D

Thanks again guys :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hogwarts

ARE TWO SCIENCE SUBJECTS REQUIRED? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Hogwarts wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I didn't know people could be so kind :)
    At this stage I think it would be best if I just keep to my own Leaving at the moment, and then next year and study it as a single subject during a gap year. I'll need a maximum obviously so best not to sabotage that now.
    Although, I'm actually repeating too becos I'm still a young 17 :p so maybe again the gap year next year miiiiiight be a good personal decision to make.

So, because I'm inexperienced and confused :rolleyes: I take it a Chemistry result from 2013 will be added to the list of qualified LC subject results from 2012? Not necessarily for points, they need to be achieved this year but I'm pondering on whether UCD'll accept that or not? As in, they won't consider it cheating or anything :eek:. So I can re-apply then with the HC3 or higher and be qualified for entry. Ya? :D

Thanks again guys :p
    Hogwarts wrote: »
    ARE TWO SCIENCE SUBJECTS REQUIRED? :rolleyes:

I'd email them and ask them to be sure. Look up the course on their website as well :)

Advertisement