Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can I prevent customs seizing my package?

• 10-10-2011 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Excuse the innuendo, and if I've posted in the wrong forum (really can't think of an appropriate one).

Also, this isn't drugs, a small arms consignment or anything illegal like that!

I've ordered something that is being shipped from Thailand, and today I got an email saying
    Just noticed you are in Ireland
    Right now we are faciing problems with Ireland customs. Anyway we will try to ship it for you. But if customs hold the item I’ll refund for you.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can instruct the sender to do, to stop this? My gf ordered something from America before and had to pay thirty f***ing euros to the UPS driver at the door for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

so you're looking to avoid paying duty on the imported item right?
    Pay up, it's the law I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If the item is marked as a gift it is free from customs. Few rules on what constitutes a gift.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

so you're looking to avoid paying duty on the imported item right?
    Pay up, it's the law I'm afraid.
    It's a obscene tax that seems entirely arbitrary. I have paid for the value of my items and for the service of having them posted to me. Why should I pay even more money simply to boost the coffers of this crooked government?
    If the item is marked as a gift it is free from customs. Few rules on what constitutes a gift.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html
    How do Customs determine the value of the product? I can ask that it is packaged with an invoice for <€22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭lau1247

OP, correctly declare it as a gift and stay within the guideline and it's ok.. some might get pass customs..

On a separate question I have is, does goods bought within the EU (i.e. france) and send to another person in the EU country (i.e. Ireland) incur additional VAT?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How do Customs determine the value of the product? I can ask that it is packaged with an invoice for <€22

I'm not sure. If it's clothes then it's probably easier to get away with but if it's somelike electronic that retails for a lot more then it's less likely. PErsonnally I've never been done for customs on stuff that has been invoiced for less then €100, but if they have been cracking done then just ask the guy to mark it as a gift and not to invoice you. If he invoices you then it isn't considered a gift.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Excuse the innuendo, and if I've posted in the wrong forum (really can't think of an appropriate one).
    The charter for the correct forum say shttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291790
    Threads regarding Import Duty/Tax
    Do not start any threads to discuss methods of tax evasion.
    You will be banned for a week and have your thread locked.
    Thats all.

CLOSED

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lau1247 wrote: »
    On a separate question I have is, does goods bought within the EU (i.e. france) and send to another person in the EU country (i.e. Ireland) incur additional VAT?
    I don't think so since VAT has already been paid in the EU

ask on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=583

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement