Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riot shieds

Options
  • 04-10-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondering if any one is interested in riot shields ? i have made 2 myself and sold one and was wondering if anybody would be interested in one? i make these from a 5.5mm clear perspex sheet which is bent on the sides its 123cm tall and approx 60cm wide . i only hace pics of my first one which does unfortunatly crack when hit which was made from 4mm polycarbonate but the newer one made with 5.5mm seems to show no signs of cracking yet . didnt get the pics of the new one because the guy came and picked it up so fast i didnt have a chance to take pics. heres the one i made for myself ( this one is crap in comparison to the one i made and sold but gives a good idea on the size )

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/p18081106580001.jpg/

if you are interested in one let me know im in waterford

im planning on makeing another one soon and will post pics of that one and maybe a video of it being tested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I'd be interested to see the finished article and hearing what its like, must be handy for indoor/CQB games

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

well i play at the manor in waterford which is mostly woodland and urban kind of and its a total game changer i havent used it yet in cqb and i cant wait to use it for that . its amazing if you use it in a squad where you can give moveable cover to someone useing a SAW or a M60 . id imagine it would be very good for cqb the guy i sold it to bought it for cqb . if i get enough interest ill make another one soon and do a small review like thing on it . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

I'd Be Interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Have you employed any degradable material? In one of the many riot shield discussions, there was an excellent post suggesting that you use a solid frame, with cardboard inserts so as it can eventually be shot through, and removes the annoyance of TITANIUM MAN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Inari wrote: »
    Have you employed any degradable material? In one of the many riot shield discussions, there was an excellent post suggesting that you use a solid frame, with cardboard inserts so as it can eventually be shot through, and removes the annoyance of TITANIUM MAN!!

Any Well Run Unit Can Take Out "TITANIUM MAN!!" 4 VS 1 surround him and "tighten the noose" hell 1 person with a Thunder B Could Kill The Roman "Turtle Strategy" (In Airsoft Terms Of Course) :-)

• Advertisement

The shield is made from one solid 5.5mm piece of perspex which is then covered with news parer and the cardboard on the front wich is the covered with black duct tape . The way i play with it is that thunder b s and m203s are the only way to take out a shield from the front other than that its just shoot the person useing the shield and you will still get killed as its easy enough to get flanked

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

The shield is made from one solid 5.5mm piece of perspex which is then covered with news parer and the cardboard on the front wich is the covered with black duct tape . The way i play with it is that thunder b s and m203s are the only way to take out a shield from the front other than that its just shoot the person useing the shield and you will still get killed as its easy enough to get flanked

What's the idea if the paper and card and ductape?

Basicaly to add protection to the shield to stop the perspex being scratched and marked and helps limit the chances of a bb some how cracking the shield even doh it doesnt on test point blank on just the perspex and it just makes it look alot better i think also makes it alot quiter to be behind cos when its being shot it can be loud behind it and that can make it hard to here your team mates

Basicaly to add protection to the shield to stop the perspex being scratched and marked and helps limit the chances of a bb some how cracking the shield even doh it doesnt on test point blank on just the perspex and it just makes it look alot botter i think also makes it alot quiter to be behind cos when its being shot it can be loud behind it and that can make it hard to here your team mates
    If you're making them to sell, you should look into a differant finish. Card and newspper seems a little blue peter. consider a piece of vinyl on the shield holders side to colour it instead of duct tape, annd leave off the card. The noise isn't too bad, and adds to the intense feeling of being behind something taking fire. That's how I look at it anyway.
    Even go up in thickness of the shield if you have concerns about it cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

or use polycarbonate much much stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Any Well Run Unit Can Take Out "TITANIUM MAN!!" 4 VS 1 surround him and "tighten the noose" hell 1 person with a Thunder B Could Kill The Roman "Turtle Strategy" (In Airsoft Terms Of Course) :-)

The Testuso formation was designed to allow advancement under archer attack, not protect against grenades.

Not to get into the debate that I'm sure a few people are itching to, but the shield and "imvulnerabilty syndrome" go hand in hand. I'd agree with Inari on the frame system being the best compromise I've yet seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭THE MINDER

The 'TESTUSO FORMATION' is great if the whole team has one:D:D:D

Testudo2.jpg

Getting shot in the shin still counts as a hit lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭THE MINDER

Alan b. wrote: »
    Getting shot in the shin still counts as a hit lol

A few nades will do the trick even quicker lol!:)

To tell the truth guys when i play i usaly die more often than the ordinary guy in an average game of fall back because im always trying to push up . You can get shot in the sides or in the feet if you dont crouch low enough . Unfortunatly i cant get thicker sheets for a fair price because the thicker you go the more expensive and the heavier it will be . Thanks for the ideas guys but im still not sure about the degradeable idea but im thinking of ideas for one .ill make it any way the buyer wants if he is willing to pay and if i can get the matherials

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

What's nice about the degradable idea is that it's more realistic for use in airsoft. It also reduces the overall weight of the shield, making it less cumbersome.

As said before, I'll refrain from the debate that is sure to ensue, but I definitely think degradable is best

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Or if you made a rule when using it that you had to put it down after being shot with it a number of times... but that would be very hard to control... its hard to do to be honest, your trying to make something so that is will eventually fail, whcih isn't the way people would normally work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Actual ballistic shields capable of stopping rifle fire weigh around 13-15kg. I'd love to see an airsoft equivalent built that mimics the weight, whilst also being degradable.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Or if you made a rule when using it that you had to put it down after being shot with it a number of times... but that would be very hard to control... its hard to do to be honest, your trying to make something so that is will eventually fail, whcih isn't the way people would normally work

Good solution is attaching a small balloon to the shield. Pierced balloon = hit

right guys here a little video of the shields . i hope it shows ye a bit more of what to expect with them and also i think ill change there names to ballistics shields instead of riot shield because it just looks a lot more like a ballistics shield . let me know what ye think and all ideas welcome .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanqB0hTaFQ

• Advertisement

guys i have them for sale now here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056416524

im open to offers but please make them on the appropriate thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement