Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Metal Bands

Options
  • 04-10-2011 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Can I ask a question does anyone here hate new metal bands e.g. Unearth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Yes, I hate all metal bands formed since 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unearth

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I like some, and dislike others. Actually, how new is 'new' in this discussion?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a bloated market at the moment in my opinion,too many metal bands,alot of them sounding the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 No 1 Metal Fan

Hi im newbie on this site I started this thread just an hour ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's called getting old. You're used to all the old amazing tunes you like and now the kids are listening to the kind of emocore, screamo sh!t that's out nowadays.

There are plenty of amazing smaller bands spouting up. Just check out Metal Archives and the likes of facebook. Don't bother with mtv or any rock channel\magazine.......except maybe for Zero Tolerance. That's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I don't think its called you're getting old, I think most music nowadays is mostly sh1t and the fact that you have to go scouring for obscure bands is a sad reflection on an industry which favours conformity and marketability over originality, and that thing, called...oh wait, thats it, musicianship!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Welcome to Boards.ie Davebiggrin.gif. I hate pretty much all new metal bands especially Mastodon, Five Finger Death Punch, Trivium and hundreds of others as well. The problem with these new metal bands is that they lack great ideas, their guitar riffs/guitar sound are terrible and are uninspired. Also the rest of the music just doesn't really click with me either. The guitar work and arrangements comes first in any metal band for me, and the vocals are the second most important thing. I can't listen to any metal band if I don't like the guitar sound and the riffs no matter how great the vocals are. I also think that these new bands are just not electrifying enough for me in terms of the guitars anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Welcome to Boards.ie Davebiggrin.gif. I hate pretty much all new metal bands especially Mastodon, Five Finger Death Punch, Trivium and hundreds of others as well. The problem with these new metal bands is that they lack great ideas, their guitar riffs/guitar sound are terrible and are uninspired. Also the rest of the music just doesn't really click with me either. The guitar work and arrangements comes first in any metal band for me, and the vocals are the second most important thing. I can't listen to any metal band if I don't like the guitar sound and the riffs no matter how great the vocals are. I also think that these new bands are just not electrifying enough for me in terms of the guitars anyway.

Thank you for this post. I thought I was the only one who thought Mastodon were incredibly boring and derivative, especially with the riffs and the pretentious but not in a good way themes/concepts. Five Finger Death Punch are utter sh1t, Trivium were ok for some songs but again completely derivative, the screamo vocals were sh1t, screamo doesn't sound good anyway, and then they became a Metallica tribute band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Thank you for this post. I thought I was the only one who thought Mastodon were incredibly boring and derivative, especially with the riffs and the pretentious but not in a good way themes/concepts. Five Finger Death Punch are utter sh1t, Trivium were ok for some songs but again completely derivative, the screamo vocals were sh1t, screamo doesn't sound good anyway, and then they became a Metallica tribute band.

What! Mastodon are awesome, now I'd agree with the both of you regarding the others mentioned but come on Mastodon are brilliant and have got me back into metal in the last decade as I thought most metal coming out then was tripe.

Thanks nyarlothothep. Thankfully bands like Moonspell, Amon Amarth, Omnium Gatherum, Arch Enemy, Septic Flesh, Amorphis, Primordial and Demonaz put bands like Mastodon and others that are similar to utter shame in terms of truly incredible and memorable guitar riffs, and also all those band have a really fantastic guitar sound, and are not afriad to let all hell loose and let go with really electricfying guitars. These new bands are just too green anyway, and do not want to use too much electricity.:p Seriously though you should check out the new albums by those bands I mentioned, you will be dissapointed.

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    What! Mastodon are awesome, now I'd agree with the both of you regarding the others mentioned but come on Mastodon are brilliant and have got me back into metal in the last decade as I thought most metal coming out then was tripe.

I never really liked Mastodon that much at all. I find them too boring guitar wise anyway, and the riffs are quite bland to my ears. I've never like sludge metal bands anyway mainly due to the sludgy guitar sound. In terms of metal bands I prefer a lead guitar sound with a lot of high energy and loads of intensity. But each to his/her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I never really liked Mastodon that much at all. I find them too boring guitar wise anyway, and the riffs are quite bland to my ears. I've never like sludge metal bands anyway mainly due to the sludgy guitar sound. In terms of metal bands I prefer a lead guitar sound with a lot of high energy and loads of intensity. But each to his/her own.

I see exactly where you're coming from, I was more into Slayer/Metallica trash metal for years and had no interest in sludge metal at all until I heard Mastodon and boom I was hooked, really loved how the songs unfolded over the 10 minutes that they usually were.
    Infact the only bands I have got into since the late 90's were Mastodon and SOAD so maybe I'm just getting old.

pdbhp wrote: »
    I see exactly where you're coming from, I was more into Slayer/Metallica trash metal for years and had no interest in sludge metal at all until I heard Mastodon and boom I was hooked, really loved how the songs unfolded over the 10 minutes that they usually were.
    Infact the only bands I have got into since the late 90's were Mastodon and SOAD so maybe I'm just getting old.

I like the old Metallica and some Slayer quite a lot especially albums like 'Ride The Lightning' and 'Show No Mercy'. But what I was really talking about was bands like Amon Amarth, Moonspell, Immortal, Omnium Gatherum, Emperor, Mael Mórdha, Primordial, Darkthrone, Amorphis Dissection, Hypocrisy, Old Man's Child, Nokturnal Mortum and of course the old Iron Maiden albums. All those bands guitar work and intensity put new metal bands to absolute shame. I also can't stand most of the bands that Metal Hammer covers either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Unearth are awesome.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I'm not versed enough to participate in a metal of the current epoch debate, but I'll throw Onedice (not to be confused with One Dice, trust me) at ya and see if anyone digs AND they're not really new considering their 'Life' album came out about ten years ago then they split.

I think there are plenty of good "new" bands around and I don't mind having to do a bit of rummaging to find them. That's nothing new, its always been worthwhile to dig beneath the surface in metal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

You aren't alone! I have loads of friends who love Mastodon and think they can't go wrong, but I find them so bloody boring to listen to. FFDP are like the poor mans Lamb of God to me, and I was never a fan of Trivium.

But anyway, it's not that all new bands suck, it's just the prime ones that are terrible get plastered everywhere by the likes of Kerrang.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This thread speaks my language. I just haven't been able to get into a Metal band that's come out in the last 10 years, same with Rock as well. I've tried listening Trivium, but funny enough most of the stuff I like are the Metallica covers that they did. Then again, with Metal and Rock you really have to explore and look for music because it's still very much an underground type of thing. Unless you become a huge selling band or release a huge hit, you don't really get much exposure from the media.

That being said, there's just something about the last decade of Metal music that's so off putting. Although maybe it's because I have high expectations for music, and am somewhat waiting for the next break out band that could be the next Black Sabbath or Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I reckon that 'metal by numbers' has always been easy to do, and as such, there has always been plenty of 2nd rate metal bands. Every so often the cream rises to the top and we get something truly memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Can anyone name any TRUELY great albums since 2000?

As in face-meltingly good.

Or will young people now and in the future still consider Master of Puppets or Reign in Blood the albums of their generation (i.e. never bettered).

I refer to these albums as a lot youngsters discover metal through them.

• Advertisement

Some newish* bands I really enjoy.

*It's possible that some of them go back further than I'm aware of.

Agrypnie
    Baroness
    Black Tusk
    Bongripper
    Callisto
    Charred Walls of the Damned
    Diablo Swing Orchestra
    Fleshgod Apocalypse
    Gallowbraid
    Ghost Brigade
    Giant Squid
    Gojira
    Gorerotted
    Gorod
    Grand Magus
    Hail Of Bullets
    High On Fire
    Krux
    KYPCK
    Leprous
    Mael Mordha
    Mastodon
    Minsk
    Nader Sadek
    OSI
    Sectu
    Sunpocrisy
    Swallow The Sun
    The CNK
    The Flight Of Sleipnir
    The Gates Of Slumber
    The Ocean
    The Sword
    The Vision Bleak
    Winterhorde
    Woods Of Ypres
    Year Of No Light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Or will young people now and in the future still consider Master of Puppets or Reign in Blood the albums of their generation (i.e. never bettered).

To name but a few

The Blackening - Machine Head
    Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation of the Black Widow
    Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
    The Haunted - One Kill Wonder
    Napalm Death - Order of the Leech
    Rammstein - Mutter
    Vital Remains - Dechristianize
    Opeth - Deliverance
    Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
    Nasum - Helvete
    Meshuggah - Obzen
    Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn

Theres 12 albums released in the last 10 years and the bands hav'nt (in my humble opinion) done better before or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

The last years in metal have been very good. Obviously if you base the "state of metal" on the higher profile bands as advertised by Kerrang or Metal Hammer, you won't get the best idea of good bands around.

First of all, Metalcore. I mean proper metalcore, that has an audible hardcore influence as opposed to stuff like Trivium or Killswitch. Converge's Jane Doe is one of my favourite albums of all time (their entire discography is superb), Between The Buried and Me are an amazing mix of metal and hardcore, and other more melodic bands like Misery Signals, Knives Exchanging Hands and the like are some of the best examples of why metalcore is a much better genre than people give it credit.

You know what I'm just gonna list some bands because I'm not bothered writing a paragraph for each subgenre of metal that's been doing well the last few years.

Amorphis
    Altar of Plagues
    Agalloch
    Alcest
    Cynic
    Ihsahn
    The Ocean
    Animals as Leaders
    Baroness
    Hacride
    Insomnium
    ISIS
    Obscura
    Persefone
    Wolves In The Throne Room

I could go on and on naming bands which have released many "truly great" albums since 2000, many of which I'd prefer to listen to over albums which are considered classic.

And I don't want to leave out one of the best things about the last decade or so: Devin freakin' Townsend. Between Strapping Young Lad, The Devin Townsend Band and the Devin Townsend Project, he's released some amazing metal in the last few years.

Ugh, I am sick of writing posts to this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't mean this to come out as a rant against you personally but honestly if someone hasn't managed to find any albums that they regard as truely great in the last eleven years they may want to find something else to do with their ears because music just might not be for them.

I'm not going to produce a long list of albums or "new" metal bands that I regard as truely great, suffice to say that I like new metal bands and albums, old metal bands and albums and even those metal bands and albums that are difficult to categorise as one or the other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

To name but a few

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked

The Haunted - One Kill Wonder
    Rammstein - Mutter
    Vital Remains - Dechristianize
    Opeth - Deliverance
    Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
    Nasum - Helvete
    Meshuggah - Obzen

Theres 12 albums released in the last 10 years and the bands hav'nt (in my humble opinion) done better before or after.
    Agree with all of these, in particular Anaal Nathrakh. And Prowler in the Yard reminds me; still waiting on the newest Pig Destroyer album :mad: Though now they have Adam Jarvis, which is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

this kinda seems like a heavy metal d!ck measuring thread now haha :D

I am actually a huge fan of Agalloch and Amorphis, but I wouldn not consider them new bands, especially not Amorphis as they have been around since around 1990. In answer to your question I think these particular albums are truly face-meltingly good.

Moonspell - Night Eternal
    Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
    Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel (One of the best black metal albums since Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse)
    Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell
    Mael Mordha - Manannan
    Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
    Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
    Dispatched - Mother War
    Amorphis - Silent Waters
    A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
    Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
    Demonaz - March Of The Norse
    Amorphis - The Begining of Times
    Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
    Rotting Christ - Genesis
    Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
    Agalloch - Marrow of The Spirit
    Daylight Dies - Lost to The Living
    Amorphis - Skyforger
    Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
    Sworn - Twilight
    Summoning - Oath Bound
    Rotting Soul - Khronos
    Wintersun - Wintersun
    Septic Flesh - The Great Mass
    Swallow The Sun - Ghosts of Loss Sun
    Darkthrone - Dark Thrones And Black Flags
    I - Between Two Worlds
    Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
    Blood Ceremony - Living With The Ancients
    Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
    Agalloch - The Mantle
    Amorphis - Silent Waters
    Thulcundra - Fallen Angels Dominion (Fantastic new band that pay a lot of homage to Dissection)
    Mactätus - Suicide
    Fields of The Nephilim - Mourning Sun

All those fantastic albums are truly amazing, and none of them have just a couple of standout songs like some new metal albums these days. I also think that what No. 1 Metal Fan meant by new bands is bands that were formed a couple of years ago, and are covered by the likes of Metal Hammer and Kerrang.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Nobody mentioning Gama Bomb yet? I know the style isn't new, but the band are relentively new, and certainly one of the most entertaining bands I've heard rising in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

When I read the original question i knew straight away this was going to be the first reply. And it is a great album!

I also would have suggested all of these. And the Time waits for No Slave by Napalm.

Also the Ihsahn albums especially After.

I'm suprised this and Axe to Fall haven't been mentioned yet;

220px-Converge-JaneDoe.jpg

Even if these albums aren't to your taste, if the only modern bands you can name are Mastodon, Trivium and Unearth (all of which I have seen on main stages at major UK festivals) your simply only scratching the surface of modern Metal music.

I'm sure there were loads of crap bands in the 80's aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Why are there so many pretentious replies to such a ridiculous question?
    Obviously people will have likes and dislikes. Listen to the stuff you like and don't listen to the stuff you don't like and don't start threads bitching about bands who aren't 'metal' enough for you! It's fucking pointless.

Advertisement