Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to watch the Wales game... aviva?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Bollocks to that. 5 games into the world cup and i won't have had one session for an Ireland game. Drinking is never the primary focus but it's nice to celebrate an occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

that's the problem here

Irish rugby support in Oct 2011 is 10% fan, 90% bandwagon.

I have been posting this for years and only getting abuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

*mod warning. No more crap on bandwagon jumpers*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

The Woolshed is open at 5.30am. Serving Breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

SSK wrote: »
    As far as I know, no where will be serving booze as its too early even for the early houses (who start serving at 7)

Book a cheap Ryanair flight for Saturday morning, don't board it and booze away in the airport :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Bollocks to that. 5 games into the world cup and i won't have had one session for an Ireland game. Drinking is never the primary focus but it's nice to celebrate an occasion.

Get a short kip Friday evening, go to the offy and buy:
    - a bottle of buckfast
    - a naggin of jagermeister
    - 1 can of redbull
    - a gram of speed (optional, and not from the offy)
    - some cans
    - some wine (for the ladies)

Go straight out to coppers, with a friend (a good-looking one is best). Have a feed of pints and invite some ladies back to your pre-match party (ladies will keep you feeling alive as you see out the night).

At 5am get two pint glasses and distribute, in equal measures, between them the buckfast, jagermeister, redbull and speed (optional).

Go to the woolshed in taxis with your entire party for 6am. I guarantee the cocktail described above will keep you fcuked up until full-time

After the match go directly to the early house to celebrate.

Can't have a session for the match? Me bollox. You just need to be creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

that's the problem here

Irish rugby support in Oct 2011 is 10% fan, 90% bandwagon.

This is very shortsighted & narrow minded. One of the points of a sport having a Wold Cup is to showcase its talent, with a view to bringing in new viewers & audiences. To introduce this "bandwagon" is not helpful, and misses the point completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

MrDerp wrote: »
    Get a short kip Friday evening, go to the offy and buy:
    - a bottle of buckfast
    - a naggin of jagermeister
    - 1 can of redbull
    - a gram of speed (optional, and not from the offy)
    - some cans
    - some wine (for the ladies)

Go straight out to coppers, with a friend (a good-looking one is best). Have a feed of pints and invite some ladies back to your pre-match party (ladies will keep you feeling alive as you see out the night).

At 5am get two pint glasses and distribute, in equal measures, between them the buckfast, jagermeister, redbull and speed (optional).

Go to the woolshed in taxis with your entire party for 6am. I guarantee the cocktail described above will keep you fcuked up until full-time

After the match go directly to the early house to celebrate.

Can't have a session for the match? Me bollox. You just need to be creative.

Now that's what I call dedication, I salute you sir but I hope I never meet you on a night out...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

GerM wrote: »
    Spain is a completely different culture where people generally don't go out until 11pm for their evening meal. The whole city is only starting up at that time and doesn't become quiet until about 6am. It's not comparable at all to having a game at midnight in NZ which is much more similar to ourselves.

Anyone here been to NZ? Kiwi bed time is a well known phenomenon there. Great country but they wouldn't even be like ourselves, never mind the Spanish. Small towns and even the cities are dead come 8 or 9 o'clock in the evenings.You'd never be able to have a midnight kick off time, even in Auckland or Wellington.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone here been to NZ? Kiwi bed time is a well known phenomenon there. Great country but they wouldn't even be like ourselves, never mind the Spanish. Small towns and even the cities are dead come 8 or 9 o'clock in the evenings.You'd never be able to have a midnight kick off time, even in Auckland or Wellington.

Yeah I remember being in a small town on the south Island and the local bar closing at 9.30pm!? Then being in a biggish city like Napier and it was likewise a ghost town once it got dark. Weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

leggit wrote: »
    Now that's what I call dedication, I salute you sir but I hope I never meet you on a night out...

You'd need a time-machine to catch me on a night out like that. It's been about 5 years, but I was indeed best avoided as I was well known for leading people down the rabbit hole :)

I'll be watching this match in my sitting room with a mug of coffee. I've got a box of corona in the fridge just in case I get excited though.

I'll probably spend the entire second half standing or pacing the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm out on Friday night, and have the little 'uns birthday the next morning at an activity thing with his mates, followed by lunch & drinks in our place afterwards with the relatives etc. Going to be a long weekend!! Pity the Aussie v SA game is not the later of the two on Sunday, could have had a bit of a lie in on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I would just like to point out to anyone looking to watch Irish rugby and drink at the same time that Leinster V Connacht and Munster V the Ospreys are also on on Saturday evening and both televised so this should give you ample time to watch rugby and drink at the same time on Saturday;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I found Auckland fine, to be honest. Not exactly mad but a decent enough crowd in pubs. Queenstown, obviously was busy at all hours. But go to somewhere like Invercargill which is a decent sized town/small city or similar and it's absolutely bizarre. I remember being stuck there for a few days and the last showing at the cinema was at 6pm. I'd walk down the main streets at 7pm and there wouldn't be a soul around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

I've never made a thread get this big before ;)

Advertisement