Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Marina in Cork

Options
  • 04-10-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Just thought i'd get an idea what people think about the place, I know the owner pretty well and one of my mares has started working for him there recently, he's trying to set up a tournament type event with teams of 10 I think, dunno exactly how he wants to work it whether he wants to do a league type thing or knock-out thing, just want to get an idea if there would be much interest in it? I'll be down there at the game on thursday nite also if anyone is around...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Just thought i'd get an idea what people think about the place, I know the owner pretty well and one of my mares has started working for him there recently, he's trying to set up a tournament type event with teams of 10 I think, dunno exactly how he wants to work it whether he wants to do a league type thing or knock-out thing, just want to get an idea if there would be much interest in it? I'll be down there at the game on thursday nite also if anyone is around...

Please search "take aim cup" on this forum.
    Its been tried before.
    Airsoft is near impossible to run as a competitive sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

horgan_p wrote: »
    Please search "take aim cup" on this forum.
    Its been tried before.
    Airsoft is near impossible to run as a competitive sport.

Thats not exactly the response I was looking for but ok...

I was trying to be helpful, a previous poster setup a "competition" called the take aim cup. By reading previous posts you might be able to learn both from their mistakes and achievements.
    If you only want people to tell you it's a great idea then maybe you're in the wrong forum.
    What you asked for was feedback and opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I've heard some pretty...awful...stories about competition in Airsoft in Ireland. Saying people were cheating is putting it...um...lightly.

Some airsoft teams are very interested in competition, but as of yet there is no tried and tested means of keeping people both competitive and honest. Some are, no doubt. But others are not, and in a competition you need to cater toward the lowest common denominator.

If you were running the competition, what would you do?

Hey Inari ,

If your question is to me : Time Trials , Room clearance , Drills etc.
    Accuracy at range , that type of thing. A killhouse type thing would be awesome.
    Tests of skill really.
    Getting people to call "hit" when theres money / prizes at stake is a little.... um .... Challenging I believe is the nice word for it.

• Advertisement

I was trying to be helpful, a previous poster setup a "competition" called the take aim cup. By reading previous posts you might be able to learn both from their mistakes and achievements.
    If you only want people to tell you it's a great idea then maybe you're in the wrong forum.
    What you asked for was feedback and opinion.
    Inari wrote: »
    I've heard some pretty...awful...stories about competition in Airsoft in Ireland. Saying people were cheating is putting it...um...lightly.

Some airsoft teams are very interested in competition, but as of yet there is no tried and tested means of keeping people both competitive and honest. Some are, no doubt. But others are not, and in a competition you need to cater toward the lowest common denominator.

If you were running the competition, what would you do?
    Hey Inari ,

If your question is to me : Time Trials , Room clearance , Drills etc.
    Accuracy at range , that type of thing. A killhouse type thing would be awesome.
    Tests of skill really.
    Getting people to call "hit" when theres money / prizes at stake is a little.... um .... Challenging I believe is the nice word for it.

This is just an idea at the moment put forward by a mate of mine to the owner of the Marina, i'm sorry if my reply to ur post came across badly horgan but I didn't know it had been done and failed so miserably.

It'd be in a indoor setting so it can be more closely monitored by marshalls and all that, the marshall there is very gud and has stopped games/shot people who havn't been calling their hits/adhering to the rules.

Not a killinghouse enviornment but there in an office section that would be like that alrite... I for one think its a great idea, we are only thinking small scale at the moment but if theres interest we could start a larger inter-county type thing?

This. Most important thing for anyone considering a competition.
    horgan_p wrote:
    Time Trials , Room clearance , Drills etc.
    Tests of skill really
    You be thinking very similar to myself. If I were running a competition, what I would do is run a series of tactical scenarios against a Marshall team. Marshall team is not involved in the competition, and has nothing to gain or lose. They would be blind-tested i.e. would not be aware of who is going to try and overcome them.

The scenario would be marked on a number of fields to try and keep people from adapting to the competition itself.

That way it stays more related to Airsoft, rather than paintball/speedball deathmatch style competitions

Ah in fairness , I wouldnt say it failed miserably , lessons were learned I grant you. But those lessons would never had been learned had someone not having the balls to organise and run a comp to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

There have been successful airsoft competitions both in the UK and the US although I would need to go searching for details as it's been a while. Both comptetitions were, to the best of my knowledge, challenge competitions with each team faced with the same scenario against an opfor and being graded on speed, stealth, aggression, skill, etc.

Pitting team against team in a game that at its core depends on honour & integrity in order to determine a successful "hit" is foolish in competition by its very nature.

I recall Paul at HRTA showing me a fantastic set of rules & scenarios based on the above about three years ago and to this day I think it's a shame that nobody has attempted to run such a competition given how competitive Irish airsoft apparently is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

I have been to the marina there are two seperate "courses" One is the office block which I have no knowlege of as its never in use when I go for a game the second is an open paintball arena with just a bunch of cars and waste high walls also the floor is smooth cncrete and plastered in saw dust so whatch your footing god only knows how many times i almost broke my neck :pac: Also the air is quite thick in the paintball course so bring 2 ltr of water at least or like me you will have to leave before you throw up all over the place :P:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

We , SEAC , ran "The South East Cup" for 4 person teams with a range of tasks from team on team , to timed assaults , to speed targets. We had several tasks running at any one time but each task was no more than 4 on 4 with 3-4 marshalls. We had a very clean comp and everyone enjoyed it. While it was a comp , the emphasis was on fun. We made it VERY clear before the start that it was fun based and the event ran very well. We had teams from Wicklow down to Cork and all of the SE.

Haven't taken a look at the thread surrounding the competition ye are on about yet but hopefully we can learn from it in the setting up of this tournament if indeed it does happen, what I really want to know is whether people/teams would be interested in this at all if it did go ahead. Please bear in mind that this is in its infancy and is just an idea at the moment, no planning has been done as of yet so any input positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

would you consider doing a five man team gig myself and a few mates have started a new team and we have the combined experience of a 2 years (mostly myself :D) and would love for an event like this to happen on our doorstep! :D

If your looking for scenario ideas why not have a timed hostage rescue in the offices and a breach and clear afair in the paintball area?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Lemming wrote: »

I recall Paul at HRTA showing me a fantastic set of rules & scenarios based on the above about three years ago and to this day I think it's a shame that nobody has attempted to run such a competition given how competitive Irish airsoft apparently is.
    it was ran, feck all turned up. its a good system, no "live" enemy, so no cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I think scenarios against non-human targets are the only way you'll get an objective measure of skill. Electronic targets or the like.

Otherwise people can complain about whether marshals were learning from their mistakes, refining strategies etc.

Test speed and completeness in room clearance drills, then do something like the golf thing that Red Barn does. That kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

I remember seeing a preview video before of a competition that was run in america where people would be in teams of 2-4.
    It showed two people from the event organisers running the course they had set up.
    They would have to hit man-sized targets that were setup along a course and they couldn't progress to the next section of the course without hitting certain targets first.
    The targets had specific points on them and a light would activate to indicate that they had been hit.
    The winners were determined on things such as speed,accuracy,etc.
    The course dealt with things like targeting enemys in more open areas and enemies near cover. It also had room clearing and at certain stages there was a head size target that one of the players would have to hit from range to progress in the course.
    It was a very interesting idea as it promoted working as a team and using skill to complete the course quickly and properly.

I'm not sure if some of the other posters hear have mentioned the same format, but this is something that I saw which really interested me at the time.
    Here's the video I'm talking about:

In case the vid doesn't work the link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg9qMuu-YGw

Well from my previous experiences there the marshalls do a very good job, it being an enclosed space its easier to monitor and the majority of people there do play honestly... At the moment the focus is on organising a team vs team based tournament not an individual style challenge like shooting a target or something like that, however if we do get good feedback from such events and there is enough interest I can see it being taken into consideration...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Well from my previous experiences there the marshalls do a very good job, it being an enclosed space its easier to monitor and the majority of people there do play honestly... At the moment the focus is on organising a team vs team based tournament not an individual style challenge like shooting a target or something like that, however if we do get good feedback from such events and there is enough interest I can see it being taken into consideration...

Are you still gathering potential ideas for this project? Because you look like you've moved on to promoting it.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Are you still gathering potential ideas for this project? Because you look like you've moved on to promoting it.

Well what this thread was mainly about was to promote interest and see if starting a tournament would be viable, if there would be enough potential interest to go ahead that start one, I don't work directly for the guy who owns the marina my friend does, but he isn't on boards so I opput up this thread to try and gauge what level of interest there would be in having such an event and also hear any ideas people may have from their own experiences, so yes in a way I am promoting it, but any ideas or suggests as to how it could be run are always welcome.

What I don't like about the target system is that unless you're crafty and resourceful (read; Damo's brain child - ask him for details), you are competing in a system that rewards bad tactics. In my opinion there needs to be risk of being under fire in a competition such as CpcRc mentioned.

I still think that tactical scenario play against a marshal OpFor is optimal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 manifesto

as a frequent player in the marina don't waste your time. don't get me wrong would love to see it happen but the "main team"(not looking at anyone in particular "oda 353") down there are cheaters. other than that you have a loy of kids there who do get frustrated and give out. have seen one lad bring his dad in there over disputes ha.

Advertisement