Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scouting Trousers

Options
  • 21-03-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello all,

We are in the middle of starting a new Scout group and are having a bit of a discussion about the official trousers and belt. The point being that it would save parents €40 or €50 on a uniform if they do not have to buy the trousers.

In my experience as scout I remember seeing plenty of groups without the trousers or the belt, mostly wearing dark trousers instead of the official Scouting one.

No I could be completely wrong, but I am just being curious if most groups do wear the trousers or if they are just for official things (jamborees etc.).

Hope to hear from you soon!

Edwin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

On a meeting night jeans were all we ever needed.

Camping or activities a dark pair of combats were the recommended items.

Trousers and belt as part of the uniform are only a waste of money IMO.

Shirt and Scarf are the only things we enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Same with us, we'd try get them in dark trousers (ones for school etc) but sure what can you do at the end of the day. Not everyone can afford the official trousers these days, so we'd hardly send the kid home. We have a couple of lads in Kilts too which looks sharp!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

We let our lot wear navy trousers as part of the uniform - they don't have to be the official combat/zip-offs.

That's kind of a hang-over from the old uniform (were the trousers were just navy slacks).

We do say they need the belt, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chris6

Our beavers and cubs tend not to wear the official trousers due to the fact that they grow so quickly. Scouts/ ventures/ rovers and leaders all wear the trousers and belts. We have a few explorer belts in the group, so they are always on show!

If you are a registered leader have you used the Scouting Ireland chat forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sparky20203

In our scout section, and any other scout section I know of, jeans are not acceptable. Plain navy trousers from tesco/dunnes are fine. The official trousers are not necessary, but trousers of a similar colour are.

IMO wearing jeans with the uniform would take from the uniform, and would make any troop look less professional. The belt is something which is part of the official uniform, and so neccessary... But look on the bright side, with the old uniform, there was a lot more to buy - lanyard, beret, belt, trousers, shirt, whistle...

As for outdoor activities, once the clothing they wear is suitable, it doesn't matter what colour it is, or where it was bought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Yep we're in Athy and jeans are not allowed. We have the proper scouts trousers but they fit my young man in the waist but are teriffically long for him even though they are the right size for his age iykwim. Anyway there are a type of navy canvas trouser with elasticated waist in Dunnes and we use them for ordinary nights and keep the good ones for formal type occasions. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

The necker is the only must have for us. The jumper is next but this year we will be advising parents to order from Scouting shop or any royal blue sweat top will do. We're not putting anyone to extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

We're a uniformed organisation and my ventures wear a full uniform down to black socks... They know the rules, if they have a problem with uniform they're in the wrong place... In saying that they're given until Feb to get the full uniform...

Meetings are in Full uniform, travel is in full uniform (unless it would be unreasonable to ask them to do so)

Advertisement