Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to watch the Wales game... aviva?

• 02-10-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hey anyone know if the Aviva Stadium will be opened to watch the Wales match? Or where will be the best place to watch it wanna soak up the atmosphere... and some booze

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

In bed with all the lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

In bed with all the lads

Whats that supposed to mean are you calling me gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Snacker wrote: »
    Hey anyone know if the Aviva Stadium will be opened to watch the Wales match? Or where will be the best place to watch it wanna soak up the atmosphere... and some booze

would say the local residents would love that at 6am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Great start to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

O2 would be mad not to open up their arena again for it. It'd be excellent craic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

any chance the O2 will do a repeat of the Aussie game?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

O2 confirmed on twitter earlier they weren't going to show the match:

http://twitter.com/#!/O2IrlRugby/status/120472845213106176

"@O2IrlRugby O2 IRL Rugby
    Hi all. With a 6.0am kick off next Saturday, pre Luas etc we won't be showing the game at The O2. Let's get behind the lads from our couches"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

java wrote: »
    O2 confirmed on twitter earlier they weren't going to show the match:

http://twitter.com/#!/O2IrlRugby/status/120472845213106176

"@O2IrlRugby O2 IRL Rugby
    Hi all. With a 6.0am kick off next Saturday, pre Luas etc we won't be showing the game at The O2. Let's get behind the lads from our couches"

Thats very disappointing I have to say.

The country has little or nothing to get worked up or excited about at the moment, its a pity.

This excuse of no Luas ect is bull in my opinion. What did people do to get to and from the Point at all houes pre Luas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Any reason why this game is kicking off so early? Could they not have had it an hour later and 2nd quarter final an hour later too? Surely with later kickoffs in some of the pool matches e.g Ireland vs Australia was at 9.30, they would get better viewing figues for both games at later KO times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

whycliff wrote: »

The country has little or nothing to get worked up or excited about at the moment, its a pity.

This excuse of no Luas ect is bull in my opinion. What did people do to get to and from the Point at all houes pre Luas time.

I presume they drank and drove!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Its not "bull".
    The game kicks off at 6am. Public transport to the city generally doesn't even start until that time.
    Restrictions regarding residents would also affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Will any pubs be open and serving booze?

Rookster wrote: »
    I presume they drank and drove!

"I'm in no condition to drive. Wait a minute, I shouldn't listen to myself, i'm drunk".

All joking aside, something should be done for this game.

We'll have witnessed the night before a 1-0 win to Ireland in Andorra that would send you over the edge.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Its not "bull".
    The game kicks off at 6am. Public transport to the city generally doesn't even start until that time.
    Restrictions regarding residents would also affect.

The excuse they gave about the Luas is bull.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's true though.

The first Luas on a Saturday leaves at 6.30.

The first DART won't get you in til 7.

For me on a Saturday the first bus wouldn't get me into town until around 7 too.

What's the point of running an event if no one can get to it? That includes the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Any reason why this game is kicking off so early? Could they not have had it an hour later and 2nd quarter final an hour later too? Surely with later kickoffs in some of the pool matches e.g Ireland vs Australia was at 9.30, they would get better viewing figues for both games at later KO times?
    The clocks went forward by an hour in NZ last week so they're now 12 hours ahead of us. The 8.30pm kickoff, which is the latest feasible start time, is now 8.30am here (rather than 9.30am as was for the Oz game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

It actually isn't.
    The Luas doesn't start until after 6am on a Saturday (7am on a Sunday). Buses not until after 6am. DART same. Suburban rail a little later.

That is a total of zero available in public transport requirements for an event at that venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Did the OP really think they were going to open the Aviva stadium at 5:30 in the dark to play a match on the big screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

They should have turned the clocks back a few hours, then we'd be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They should of had a 2pm kick off, would much rather watch the game at 2am instead of 6am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

The O2 wouldnt be able to start serving drink at half time like they did last time, so little chance of making any money out of the event. The Luas thing just helps give them another excuse.

Lets hope we can squeak a win over Wales, as the semis are on at 9am our time, so the O2 would potentially be able to host an event for that

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Does anyone know of anywhere that is showing the game on saturday morning in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

beglee wrote: »
    The O2 wouldnt be able to start serving drink at half time like they did last time, so little chance of making any money out of the event. The Luas thing just helps give them another excuse.

Lets hope we can squeak a win over Wales, as the semis are on at 9am our time, so the O2 would potentially be able to host an event for that

What gob****es would want a drink at 6.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Rookster wrote: »
    What gob****es would want a drink at 6.30am?

Ones that are still goin' from the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

fearruanua wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anywhere that is showing the game on saturday morning in dublin?

Theres a lads sleepover party in TiltedBrains bedroom, see post #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

stinkbomb wrote: »
    The clocks went forward by an hour in NZ last week so they're now 12 hours ahead of us. The 8.30pm kickoff, which is the latest feasible start time, is now 8.30am here (rather than 9.30am as was for the Oz game)

Thanks for info. Very much appreciated. With semis at 9.00am and final as well I suppose they could have started the quarter finals 30 minutes later.

They should of had a 2pm kick off, would much rather watch the game at 2am instead of 6am!
    The start times are a joke. It serves pretty much nobody. The rugby world is centred around GMT. That's where the vast majority of the money and players are in the game. NZ games should have been played from 11am-3pm and then a late game at 9pm. So minus 12 hours for us and -11 hours for SA. The last few weekends would have been party central in this country. Nobody in aus or NZ would be that put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

The start times are a joke. It serves pretty much nobody. The rugby world is centred around GMT. That's where the vast majority of the money and players are in the game. NZ games should have been played from 11am-3pm and then a late game at 9pm. So minus 12 hours for us and -11 hours for SA. The last few weekends would have been party central in this country. Nobody in aus or NZ would be that put out.

Me hole. They'd be fuming and rightly so. Matches in the late morning and middle of the day. Locals completely missing games because they've to work. It would be ridiculous.

The rugby world is centred around the WC and the times should be set accordingly.

It would make no odds as most of the games are at the weekend. The IRB have dropped the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

It would make no odds as most of the games are at the weekend. The IRB have dropped the ball.

So it's better to have games early afternoon in NZ which would mean they're on at midnight or later here? That would ensure an even smaller audience for television here. No children would be able to watch the games or people with work the following morning that need a solid night's sleep. The IRB have done a solid job in terms of match times. They've kept as many people as possible happy aside from a very small minority in Europe who will moan about having to get up a bit earlier or not being able to drink.

Advertisement