Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planet Dinosaur

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Enjoyed this week's show. Thought it was much better than the show last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I was in work and missed most of the show, but caught the last half. Very interesting stuff. Enjoyed it as usual. Next week's episode looks like it could be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It was great :) I really like the CGI. Show is up on piratebay if anyone missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bit more feedback now that I've had time to digest episode 2...
    Didn't it just fly in (no pun intended)? I mean seriously, it felt like 5 minutes. That said, it was a VERY informative episode with loads of cool factoids and a really big cast of dinos. I really enjoyed it. The gliding tree chase was a particular highlight.
    The only thing is, and this may or may not be a flaw depending on your outlook, was that there wasn't the same sense of story craft as there was in episode 1. There Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus were clearly the protagonists. There wasn't really a guy to root for in the same way in episode 2. I was starting to adore Epidexipteryx what a cute n' zany character (without resorting to Dinosaur revolution style Looney Toonsisms)! But then just as we start to get to know him, we're in a different time and place following Microraptor.
    Still, it's only a minor complaint and I'm not even sure it is that as I said earlier, the time flew in so maybe switching between different casts of characters was the right decision.
    I'm not certain which episode I prefer. Lost World had a better narrative structure, while Feathered Dragons had a larger cast with (I think) more information jammed in.
    I really can't wait to pick up the entire series on DVD ad watch it all in one day :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bit more feedback now that I've had time to digest episode 2...
    Didn't it just fly in (no pun intended)? I mean seriously, it felt like 5 minutes. That said, it was a VERY informative episode with loads of cool factoids and a really big cast of dinos. I really enjoyed it. The gliding tree chase was a particular highlight.
    The only thing is, and this may or may not be a flaw depending on your outlook, was that there wasn't the same sense of story craft as there was in episode 1. There Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus were clearly the protagonists. There wasn't really a guy to root for in the same way in episode 2. I was starting to adore Epidexipteryx what a cute n' zany character (without resorting to Dinosaur revolution style Looney Toonsisms)! But then just as we start to get to know him, we're in a different time and place following Microraptor.
    Still, it's only a minor complaint and I'm not even sure it is that as I said earlier, the time flew in so maybe switching between different casts of characters was the right decision.
    I'm not certain which episode I prefer. Lost World had a better narrative structure, while Feathered Dragons had a larger cast with (I think) more information jammed in.
    I really can't wait to pick up the entire series on DVD ad watch it all in one day :)

I have only seen the two first episodes of Dinosaur Revolution, and the first one of Planet Dinosaur BUT... and I'm sorry of saying it, despite the visuals and cool new and updated dinosaurs, I'm afraid I still think Walking with Dinosaurs beats them both.
    I dunno if it's the writing, or maybe the care that was put in the scenery, or the fact that the animals did behave a lot like real animals... I don´t know. Not saying Planet Dinosaur is bad, just commenting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Yes I tend to agree in some respects. Planet Dinosaur while being very good, also seems to have been done in a bit of a hurry in comparison to Walking with Dinosaurs.

I don't think WWD will ever be beaten in terms of dino-docu-drama. Sure the science is quite outdated at this points, but in terms of storytelling and narration (thank you Kenneth Brannagh) it really is top notch.
    I also adore When Dinosaurs Roamed (America):

Narrated by Fred Flinstone no less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have When Dinosaurs roamed America on my HD. It's really great, really long too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I don't think WWD will ever be beaten in terms of dino-docu-drama. Sure the science is quite outdated at this points, but in terms of storytelling and narration (thank you Kenneth Brannagh) it really is top notch.
    I also adore When Dinosaurs Roamed (America):

Narrated by Fred Flinstone no less!

WDRA was fun but, at parts it looked too much like a videogame XD (eg. T-Rex chasing Quetzalcoatlus. On a grassland, none less).

Also, some of the dinos acted just strangely. Why would the raptors keep feeding when the entire forest is on FIRE around them? They couldn´t be THAT hungry! :eek:

• Advertisement

Saw the Planet dinosaur book in Eason today for €20 (introductory price, it's supposed to be €26.99). I was tempted, but will probably pick it up on Amazon along with the DVD at a much better price. Looks a nice book except for teh back cover which refers to Hatzegopteryx as a giant flying dinosaur :rolleyes:
    And according to the book, it will be Mapusaurus that faces off against Argentinosaurus. As far as I'm aware this will be the first CG reconstruction of Mapusaurus.

Keep an eye out for the more kid friendly version starting September 29th:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_dinosaur#CBBC_spin-off

Saw the Planet dinosaur book in Eason today for €20 (introductory price, it's supposed to be €26.99). I was tempted, but will probably pick it up on Amazon along with the DVD at a much better price. Looks a nice book except for teh back cover which refers to Hatzegopteryx as a giant flying dinosaur :rolleyes:
    And according to the book, it will be Mapusaurus that faces off against Argentinosaurus. As far as I'm aware this will be the first CG reconstruction of Mapusaurus.

Hope they make it look good... the Giganotosaurus in WWD: Land of Giants were cool, but looked more like scaled-up allosaurids than carcharodontosaurids. And the Giga in Primeval looked like... I don´t know like what XD

Check him out with his FORWARD POINTING EYES!
    3455422090_c925f4a2e3.jpg&sa=X&ei=UTKDTsmUMoa48gPt7_kJ&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGf-V2nHfn81LBx0rMVlbsnPWwTvg

The Mapusaurus in the book looks pretty cool.

Don't forget guys, episode 3 'Last Killers' is on tonight at 8:30. Gonna curl up on the couch with a nice bottle of wine :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

How sad am I when I can tell who the technical consultants on a given paleo-doc are by what makes it into the finished product......

The second I saw more then 3 Das in the group I said "Currie" and guess who was first in the credits....

Funny that. I also remarked, "Phil Currie is gonna love this!" when it said tyrannosaurs were pack hunters.

Yep, the episode felt like Dino Gangs.

Have to say that I thought it was not a great episode. It stated an awful lot as fact that cannot be proven nor disproven yet, and I thought the graphics/cgi was very ordinary at times.

I love Tyrannosaurs me. But I was really disappointed with that last episode. At one stage the writers suggested that Gorgo, Das, Albert, and T.rex all inhabited the N. American contenent at the same time.

Now personally I believe that Currie is correct for a given value of "Correct", but the batallion of Das was a little too much.

While in the south apparently there wasn't much other than Abelisaurs in the late crecatious...

I'd have to echo the sentiment that this last episode was a step down in quality. The science just wasn't as grounded as in the other two episodes.
    Next episode is called 'Fight For Life', set in the late Jurassic and by the look of the preview pic features Allosaurus and Camptosaurus.

In other news, my wonderful girlfriend bought me the Planet Dinosaur book today. she's a legend! :D

PS: anyone else find the baby Majungasauruses incredibly cute?

I'd have to echo the sentiment that this last episode was a step down in quality. The science just wasn't as grounded as in the other two episodes.
    Next episode is called 'Fight For Life', set in the late Jurassic and by the look of the preview pic features Allosaurus and Camptosaurus.

In other news, my wonderful girlfriend bought me the Planet Dinosaur book today. she's a legend! :D

PS: anyone else find the baby Majungasauruses incredibly cute?

Yep they were very cute.:)

As soon as I saw them my mind went to Jim Lawson's Paleo:Loner series. It just seemed a rip off of that for me. In the early part of the Lawson strip, the mother T-Rex and cute younglings come across a fresh kill and there are two male Rexes there. The female fights the males and kills one of them by biting the neck and shaking. The scene with the female Majung and young was very similar.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep they were very cute.:)

As soon as I saw them my mind went to Jim Lawson's Paleo:Loner series. It just seemed a rip off of that for me. In the early part of the Lawson strip, the mother T-Rex and cute younglings come across a fresh kill and there are two male Rexes there. The female fights the males and kills one of them by biting the neck and shaking. The scene with the female Majung and young was very similar.

TBH there's really not a lot to do when ur main characters are giant theropods. :D (Although Bob Bakker did have Utahraptors playing in the snow)

Adam Khor wrote: »
    TBH there's really not a lot to do when ur main characters are giant theropods. :D (Although Bob Bakker did have Utahraptors playing in the snow)

Although making snow angels proved a little difficult.....

Adam Khor wrote: »

Well I would expect a show which made a lot of claims of how certain things were fact to do more than rip off a comic strip :)

At least in Dino Gangs Currie's view was not presented as fact and the opposing views were aired. Wednesday's Planet Dinosaur was just regurgitating what was suggested in Dino Gangs, but went a step further in stating it was fact.

Just thought that when that slapdash approach to the scientific side of things was coupled to sub standard cgi that it made for poor viewing on a number of levels.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well I would expect a show which made a lot of claims of how certain things were fact to do more than rip off a comic strip :)

At least in Dino Gangs Currie's view was not presented as fact and the opposing views were aired. Wednesday's Planet Dinosaur was just regurgitating what was suggested in Dino Gangs, but went a step further in stating it was fact.

Just thought that when that slapdash approach to the scientific side of things was coupled to sub standard cgi that it made for poor viewing on a number of levels.

At least they (the BBC) didn't concentrate on T.rex as a species. Much as I love my rexs, it gets a leeetle friggen repetitive when you'veard about the "jaws...teeth..blah...crunch..huge...biggest..blah" for the 15 millionth time. Oh, and early / mid cretatious NW America?
    That's prime Utah Raptor territory, but they didn't go there either. (thank jeebus) Because I don't think I could stand seeing bloody Dromaeosaur.

And saving grace #15 has to be John Hurt.
    Because one day I will hunt down that "Big Voice Guy" and do sometyhing unplesent, possibly involving a chicken, a length of rubber band, and a half jar of marmite.

Allosaur wrote: »
    That's prime Utah Raptor territory, but they didn't go there either. (thank jeebus) Because I don't think I could stand seeing bloody Dromaeosaur.

Since Utahraptor is getting a revamp in real life at the moment it would have been foolhardy to include it since any restoration they made would become outdated very soon.

You know who I mean by "Big voice guy" yes?

ANd whats with the raptor reboot? I hadent heard of that..

Allosaur wrote: »
    You know who I mean by "Big voice guy" yes?

I'm guessing it's that twat from Jurassic Fight Club?

[quote=Allosaur[/quote]
    ANd whats with the raptor reboot? I hadent heard of that..[/QUOTE]

Apparently a new specimen has been discovered which was much larger and more robust than previously imagined. Hasn't been published yet though.

According to Wikipedia Planet Dinosaur Episode 4 'Fight For Life' also features 'Predator X' and Kimmerosaurus.

_55181135_dinopublicityshots015.jpg&sa=X&ei=IriFTpydCoSc-wasq_kL&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNE8BHDTzbqGECIktO07G43FVXjOUQ

Not Dinosaur George. The narrator. The guy that goes "AND THIS TIE IT'S PERSONAL!!!" or somesuch.

Apparently a new specimen has been discovered which was much larger and more robust than previously imagined. Hasn't been published yet though.
    Time till it gets "Hornerized" into a juvenile Albertasaurus....?
    Anyone?

ANd whats with the raptor reboot? I hadent heard of that..

According to Wikipedia Planet Dinosaur Episode 4 'Fight For Life' also features 'Predator X' and Kimmerosaurus.

_55181135_dinopublicityshots015.jpg&sa=X&ei=IriFTpydCoSc-wasq_kL&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNE8BHDTzbqGECIktO07G43FVXjOUQ

I thought there was nothing more than a partial skull and two or three vertebrae ever found of Kimmerosaurus?

Methinks there could be another episode loaded with "facts" next Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Most of what we know of Kimmerosaurus is based on the closely related Colymbosaurus. In fact, many believe them to be one in the same.

Advertisement