Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help getting back to Snow Leopard!

Options
  • 25-09-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Im on Lion and I hate it. Problem is, I deleted my Snow Leopard time machine backups, and I updated all my apps like Aperture, Xcode, iLife suite etc. to Lion. I have the Snow Leopard disks, but what is the best way to go about doing this? It seems pretty impractical to wipe everything and download all my apps again...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You will have to wipe everything. Do a TM backup, then do a clean install of SL. You won't be able to migrate data from the TM backup, so you will have to manually copy all your user data over. Most of your apps should still work with SL. The ones that don't you will have to download and install again.

You don't really have any other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Im pretty sure if I back up in Lion and try to restore using the Lion backup in Snow Leopard, the machine goes back to Lion. Also, if I do a clean install, everything, even the apps, will be wiped, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes, a clean install will wipe everything. But you won't be restoring or migrating. The TM backup I suggested is just so you will have a backup of everything. You will have to manually copy all your user data over by dragging and dropping files from your TM drive into your clean install of SL.

I wish there was an easier solution but there isn't that I know of. You should have held on to your TM backups of SL. Are you sure they are gone? If I were you I'd just stick with Lion. Are you experiencing problems with it or do you just not like it? Most things can be changed to work like SL.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

Im on Lion and I hate it.

Anything in particular you disliked about it? I'm still on Snow Leopard, but was very vaguely considering the upgrade and its implications (more for in the future than now)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

firkin wrote: »
    Anything in particular you disliked about it?

Pros:
    - Multi-touch
    - Fullscreen (for SOME apps)
    - Mission Control

Cons:
    - For me, freezes once every 30 mins (average, can only be solved by holding on/off button)
    - Beach ball freezing quite often
    - MUCH slower at opening apps
    - Safari fullscreen is bad

• Advertisement

Lion doesn't have any major stability problems at the moment. A clean install will almost certainly fix most of those issues. You can migrate all your data over from your TM backup, so everything will be exactly as it was before. However, I would recommend doing a "real" clean install minus the migration by manually copying your user data over. You would have to do this in the case of reinstalling SL anyway. But maybe leave that as a last resort.

But before doing anything you should check your hard drive using Disk Utility and make sure it isn't failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Im pretty sure if I back up in Lion and try to restore using the Lion backup in Snow Leopard, the machine goes back to Lion. Also, if I do a clean install, everything, even the apps, will be wiped, no?

If you install SL and try to timemachine from Lion the SL will not boot after install. I've tried

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

Pros:
    - Multi-touch
    - Fullscreen (for SOME apps)
    - Mission Control

Cons:

- For me, freezes once every 30 mins (average, can only be solved by holding on/off button)
    - Beach ball freezing quite often
    - MUCH slower at opening apps
    - Safari fullscreen is bad

Sounds like a real pain. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll try hang on to Snow Leopard for as long as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I got the free Lion upgrade cause i bought my mbp after the realese. I was a bit on the fence about it, seeing as it was free, i downloaded it. (after MANY attempts)

After 3 days i reinstalled SL using my discs, all my apps still worked, apart from the ones designed for lion, but it wasnt a major loss.

Advertisement