Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeman Megamerge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Given that there appears to be a little element of nationalism (or anti Englishness) with some of this, isn't it amusing that the Freemen if they truly aspire to that approach do not seek to eschew the common law system imposed by the English in the 17th century and revert to Brehon law?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Marcusm wrote: »
    Given that there appears to be a little element of nationalism (or anti Englishness) with some of this, isn't it amusing that the Freemen if they truly aspire to that approach do not seek to eschew the common law system imposed by the English in the 17th century and revert to Brehon law?
    They do claim Brehon law is the law of Ireland. At least one of them on this forum did, a couple of years ago. Before he was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

jd wrote:
    I'm just going by what was reported in the newspaper
    Never a wise thing to do.

True enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The biggest problem with the Freeman stuff is that their historical view of the law is factually incorrect.

Since when has that ever stopped an internet movement?

I have a friend who believes all this nonsense. He's into the zeitgeist movies and lots of other CT stuff as well but I suppose that if you can believe one daft theory, you can believe many daft theories. No amount of reason can convince him of how wrong he is. He just repeats lines from these websites despite them being shown to be wrong.

I can't understand it, really. It's like a religious belief or something. He has made up his mind that some crusties with an aversion to paying fines know more about the legal system than the legal profession itself. I sent him the details of the Sludds and Sutton cases and his reaction was that judges don't like to be corrected. So now it's a giant conspiracy to stop fine-dodgers from exercising their rights under the "True Legal System" which only crusties seem to know about.

The mind boggles.

Off-Topic but how does one go about having a person committed to one of our lovely mental institutions?

The part of the whole thing that I find most amusing is that the Freemen assume that there is a large scale conspiracy specifically designed to take away your rights but, in order to do it, the Government and others are using a system that still technically abides by the real rules, they just trick you into accepting their own "legal fictions".

If a Government really wanted to conduct a conspiracy on this scale why would they still obey rules they are clearly trying to ignore? It's such a baffling belief system on so many levels.

@Mcmoustache: It is a religious movement. It really is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

derry wrote: »
    The time in prision is classed as the safest place for salvage (the victim is merely salvage from the high seas ) and the cell (battery cell ) extracts energy from the victim( the energy is classed as haviing value in luie of inabilty to pay the fines or replacement of damage the Judge believes has been done )

That bit is hilarious. The combined wilful ignorance of etymology and scientific history - you couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I am a shape-changing lizard and I and my reptilian brethren run this country from my chambers.

Woops sorry Alan too soon ?

My office I meant. Yeah. Just an office.

Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

I think it's mostly about delusions... The Freeman folk tend to use this stuff for fine dodging. It'd be a lot easier if they just realised they got caught and they probably should've just paid up before it went to court.... That's my 2 cents anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I think it's mostly about delusions... The Freeman folk tend to use this stuff for fine dodging. It'd be a lot easier if they just realised they got caught and they probably should've just paid up before it went to court.... That's my 2 cents anyway!

But shur when your claiming the dole from the fictional state and dont have to take a day off work why wouldnt ya go to court for the laugh!

Ya know when the state is paying you to study the law you may as well demonstrate your knowledge.

Why would you give them their own money (oh sorry its not money - its called "notes" or "fiat currency") back to pay the fine?

But wait if its only fake money, why wouldnt you just give it to them to keep them quiet and save your time? Oh because you want the "fake" money for yourself! So its fake money they give you, its fake money they have, and its real money when they use it for cigs and drink? Ahhhh ookkkk, makes perfect sense!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Freeman leaves court a free man!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/man-freed-after-judge-accepts-his-apology-2885709.html

A MAN who repeatedly challenged a judge to identify himself in court was released from custody last night after being jailed for contempt.

Aaron Milne (36) appeared at Waterford District Court yesterday charged with the possession of an offensive weapon, namely pepper spray, in the city some weeks ago.

When Mr Milne's name was called from the list yesterday morning, he stood up and told Judge David Kennedy that "I am here for that matter".

He later said to Judge Kennedy: "Are you addressing me?" prompting the judge to give him "more time".

However, when the matter was called again yesterday afternoon, Mr Milne said: "Who is addressing me? Say who you are, I don't know who you are."

Judge Kennedy asked Mr Milne if he was going to continue in such a manner.

Mr Milne then repeated the question three more times.

Judge Kennedy sentenced Mr Milne to seven days in jail for contempt of court.

However, Mr Milne was released yesterday after he returned to court to purge his contempt. He apologised to Judge Kennedy if he caused him any offence. The judge said that he did not take offence.

The matter was adjourned until November 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Freeman leaves court a free man!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/man-freed-after-judge-accepts-his-apology-2885709.html

A MAN who repeatedly challenged a judge to identify himself in court was released from custody last night after being jailed for contempt.

Aaron Milne (36) appeared at Waterford District Court yesterday charged with the possession of an offensive weapon, namely pepper spray, in the city some weeks ago.

When Mr Milne's name was called from the list yesterday morning, he stood up and told Judge David Kennedy that "I am here for that matter".

He later said to Judge Kennedy: "Are you addressing me?" prompting the judge to give him "more time".

However, when the matter was called again yesterday afternoon, Mr Milne said: "Who is addressing me? Say who you are, I don't know who you are."

Judge Kennedy asked Mr Milne if he was going to continue in such a manner.

Mr Milne then repeated the question three more times.

Judge Kennedy sentenced Mr Milne to seven days in jail for contempt of court.

However, Mr Milne was released yesterday after he returned to court to purge his contempt. He apologised to Judge Kennedy if he caused him any offence. The judge said that he did not take offence.

The matter was adjourned until November 10.

So he admitted he was wrong, apologised and was left out of jail, hardly a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm sensing a little bit of sarcasm in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

seamus wrote: »
    I'm sensing a little bit of sarcasm in the OP.

Then maybe a title of Another Freeman "Victory", would have been better suited.

Interesting to see how nonsense ideas spread through the population though, isn't it? Especially if people think there's something in it for them.

Viz. pyramid schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The part of the whole thing that I find most amusing is that the Freemen assume that there is a large scale conspiracy specifically designed to take away your rights but, in order to do it, the Government and others are using a system that still technically abides by the real rules, they just trick you into accepting their own "legal fictions".

And that the perpetrators of this vast, historic, sinister, sophisticated and complex conspiracy will be stunned, shocked and powerless over you once you point out that they aren't carrying their oath of office around in their back pocket.

Seriously, if there was such a conspiracy, would they not just kill you?:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And that the perpetrators of this vast, historic, sinister, sophisticated and complex conspiracy will be stunned, shocked and powerless over you once you point out that they aren't carrying their oath of office around in their back pocket.

Seriously, if there was such a conspiracy, would they not just kill you?:pac:
    Not having a large medallion like oath on your person at all times is like that one unguarded exhaust port in the Death Star.

Which must make Bobby Sludds the equivalent of Jek Porkins...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Ackbar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

source wrote: »
    Then maybe a title of Another Freeman "Victory", would have been better suited.
    "Another" "Freeman" "Victory" :D

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Freemans seem to spend a fair amount of time banged up in prison do they not, if you're into irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Freemans seem to spend a fair amount of time banged up in prison do they not, if you're into irony.
    If a freeman wins even the most minor point on even the most technical of grounds, it's a glorious and historic victory which once and for all conclusively proves the truth of freeman ideology.

If a freeman loses completely and winds up in jail for contempt, then well it's just more proof of how corrupt the legal system is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

If a freeman wins even the most minor point on even the most technical of grounds, it's a glorious and historic victory which once and for all conclusively proves the truth of freeman ideology.

If a freeman loses completely and winds up in jail for contempt, then well it's just more proof of how corrupt the legal system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

in dictrict court today in the south east and this shenanigans was pulled. refused to MAKE the bail application so the judge couldn't even grant him anything. Ridiculous guy poking and prodding him to say stuff, poor fella was just a patsy. if you're reading this guy who was his "buddy" (there's a term for this which i forget, a friend in court who can help you out...) well you're a bloody disgrace who knows nothing about the law or anything sane for that matter. That fella (i took a full note of the thing actually) is back on remand for a full week and you walk around free as a bird.

http://www.enniscorthyguardian.ie/news/outspoken-sludds-facing-time-in-jail-2888387.html
    Enniscourthyguardian.ie
    Outspoken Sludds facing time in jail
    A COUNTY Wexford man who failed to sign a peace bond could face seven months in jail.
    The defendant – who prefers to be known as Bobby of the family Sludds (he also dismissed 'Bobby Oliver Sludds' as a
    'fictional entity') – subsequently failed to sign the bond in the seven days he was given to make up his mind.
    It's understood he eventually turned up at Wexford District Court headquarters in Ardcavan to sign it two days after the
    deadline.
    However, he then failed to
    appear at Wexford District Court on Monday of last week, where his application was due to be heard.
    -

jd wrote: »

"comically" this actually wasn't the case i saw. god help us they're multiplying....

shaneybaby wrote: »
    "comically" this actually wasn't the case i saw. god help us they're multiplying....
    There seems to be a big enough crowd of them in Waterford and Wexford.

jd wrote: »
    There seems to be a big enough crowd of them in Waterford and Wexford.

You're a long way from a university out that way...

(there's a term for this which i forget, a friend in court who can help you out...)

McKenzie Friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

in dictrict court today in the south east and this shenanigans was pulled. refused to MAKE the bail application so the judge couldn't even grant him anything. Ridiculous guy poking and prodding him to say stuff, poor fella was just a patsy. if you're reading this guy who was his "buddy" (there's a term for this which i forget, a friend in court who can help you out...) well you're a bloody disgrace who knows nothing about the law or anything sane for that matter. That fella (i took a full note of the thing actually) is back on remand for a full week and you walk around free as a bird.

This is what I find distressing as well. When I converse with these freemen, I often point out the fact that the freeman gurus never practise what they preach nor show any evidence of their successes.

Why anyone would go down the freeman route without demanding and reviewing evidence from these gurus astounds me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Is there a link to this or is this another of Bobby of the family Sludds's shenanigans in court?

There's a friend of mine who believes this nonsense (as well as other paranoid CT stuff) and I've been sending him links to these hilarious stories. I have this possibly misguided idea that if I show him the results of people trying this nonsense in court and failing that he might finally see the light. Then again, his reasons for believing this rubbish was unlikely to be rational in the first place so I might be wasting my time.

• Advertisement

McKenzie Friend.

Yes that's it. I had hickory friend in my head for some reason and all i could keep thinking of was that basketball film with Gene Hackman
    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosiers )

anyway i digress.

I'm swamped a bit today but i'll post a full account of what happened when i get a chance, if only to show that this stuff is completely misguided. Once i heard him ask for the "trial" to be digitally recorded i just started taking notes to pass the time. Obviously i have the guys name and the DC it was on in but there was no court reporter there that day. to be fair he seemed genuine but hugely confused and definitely misguided.

Advertisement