Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Infrastructure & Roads Beers, 24 Sept 2011

• 21-08-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This community has expanded quite a bit since it first kicked off. Last August a small group of us met in Athlone and had an enjoyable evening of chat and conversation.

I'm thinking we should do it again. Because it's impossible to get a date that suits everyone, I've arbitrarily picked Saturday 24 September, so you all have plenty of notice :)

As for the venue, let's choose the city first. All roads lead to Dublin, and we've a lot posters there, so that is one option. I'm also going to suggest Galway, Cork, and Limerick.

After three weeks, when a majority have voted for one city, I'll try to find out about a specific pub and I'll contact Dav and see if we can get a deal somewhere.

Please have your say and state whether you're interested in attending :)

Where should the beers be held? 13 votes

Dublin
    0%
    Cork
    53%
    dubhthachL1011bealtinemarkpbspacetweekAmtmannWild Bill 7 votes
    Galway
    7%
    -Corkie- 1 vote
    Limerick
    38%
    Tech3veryangrymanantoobrienKevRStinicker 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Limerick
    I'm not overly fussed about location. Galway would be easiest for me, followed by Dublin but I can do Limerick or Cork either.

I think 24th September should be good for me. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Cork
    Love the idea! I can argue in person with other cranky folk :D

Obviously Dublin, our glorious capital, is the place to meet. Preferably just off the M50.

Say, Johnny Fox's in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencullen

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Limerick
    My personal preference is outside Dublin because I get the distinct impression a lot of people believe that the only way to serve the national interest is to pour money into Dublin (very shortsighted imo).

Cork
    antoobrien wrote: »
    My personal preference is outside Dublin because I get the distinct impression a lot of people believe that the only way to serve the national interest is to pour money into Dublin (very shortsighted imo).

Nah. We just want to stop rustic politicians pouring Dublin's money out of the city :cool:

Limerick
    Wild Bill wrote: »
    Love the idea! I can argue in person with other cranky folk :D

Obviously Dublin, our glorious capital, is the place to meet. Preferably just off the M50.

Say, Johnny Fox's in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencullen

:rolleyes:
    I'd be against said establishment on the premise that I'd have to drive out there, which kinda defeats the purpose of Beers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork
    Some people will have to drive to any location - but Johnny Foxes ensures EVERYBODY will have to drive.

Cork
    MYOB wrote: »
    Some people will have to drive to any location - but Johnny Foxes ensures EVERYBODY will have to drive.

Hey! You can get the bus there and a taxi back! :D

Cork
    Mind you, I do hear that meetings sometimes take place in pubs near Heuston Station 'cos that suits Dubs and foreigners alike.

It is a public transport hub.

Unless you are coming from Sligo or Dundalk - in which case you can sample the delights of the Luas Red Line. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Cork
    Eleven expressions of interest so far, with Dublin the preferred venue. Will you be there, MYOB?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork
    Tremelo wrote: »
    Eleven expressions of interest so far, with Dublin the preferred venue. Will you be there, MYOB?

Forgot to vote. Most likely yes, nothing planned for that date.

• Advertisement

Cork
    Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Cork
    Dublin would be preferable for me but Galway would also suit, either way I'd have a home to stumble back to.

Cork
    dubhthach wrote: »
    Dublin or Galway would suit me, either way I'd have a home to stumble back to.

I could stay in Dublin if I wanted to, but I'll probably drive back to Tipp afterwards. Tis nothing to me, nothing I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'd love to join you all and natter about roads, but this date clashes with the Beer Festival in the RDS. So I wont vote for Dublin (unless it looks like somewhere else is winning ;))

If you are looking for suggestions on where to host it in Dublin, might I suggest L. Mulligan Grocer in Stoneybatter. Nice local pub, craft beer, great food, and not too far from the Smithfield stop on the Luas Red line, so it would suit Dubliners, Heustonites and Connollwegians.

If you host it there I'd be jealous of missing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Limerick
    Wont be able to make this one folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Galway
    Am I the only Corkonian here???. I prob couldnt make it as life is a bit hectic ATM.

Cork
    OK lads.

Youse are all youngsters but I'm an old guy...so if 24th September is the date ye'd need to confirm soon.....the Zimmer can only go so fast :(

Cork
    24th is the date Bill.

Next week I'll post a new poll on the specific venue. Can people make suggestions here?

It will be Dublin, btw...

Limerick
    Tremelo wrote: »
    Can people make suggestions here?

I wouldn't mind The Long Stone, O'Neills (oppose Pearse train station) or any of the pubs in that area - nice and central (and not in Temple Bar)

Cork
    O'Neills looks kinda cute. Never been there. :cool:

• Advertisement

Cork
    O'Neill's looks good to me alright.

Unless people have objections on good grounds, how about we settle on it so?

Cork
    OK - what time? How will I know you all? Is there a secret boards signal or something? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Cork
    OK - what time? How will I know you all? Is there a secret boards signal or something? :D

Yellow Sticket with username scrawled on it? ;)

Limerick

I suppose this would be bang out of order:

Cork
    Will there be seats in that pub? City centre being busy on a Saturday night and all. Time-wise, I'd suggest 7:30ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Limerick
    Venue and time are good for me.

Cork
    I *may* have to head to Belfast on Saturday but even if I do I'd likely still make this a little bit late.

Cork
    OK - 7.30 is good. But am I the only one confirming?

What about you kids? If I slip the zimmer I'll need a hand up :(

Limerick
    OK - 7.30 is good. But am I the only one confirming?

What about you kids? If I slip the zimmer I'll need a hand up :(

Send me a picture of the zimmer so I can identify you when I come in.

Should we ring the bar to see if we can book a table or something? If needs be I'll head in early to keep one.

• Advertisement

Cork
    antoobrien wrote: »
    Should we ring the bar to see if we can book a table or something? If needs be I'll head in early to keep one.

Will get onto Dav about this (might be slim possibility of vouchers or what not). In the meantime, can someone else start a new poll thread just so we can get a headcount of confirmed attendees, bearing in mind the date, time, and venue. I'll sticky it then. I am insanely busy at present so can only manage this quick post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement