Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I sure will.

Ifyou got a 2/1 average for economics in first year, ie 60 or more, you will be able to switch to single honours economics. That what I'm doing, heading into second year now, and I did English and sociology with my economics for first year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

J.D.R wrote: »
    Ifyou got a 2/1 average for economics in first year, ie 60 or more, you will be able to switch to single honours economics. That what I'm doing, heading into second year now, and I did English and sociology with my economics for first year

feck I didnt,

missed out by 20 points

I am not worried about it anymore as my dad said the business stuff is as important as the rest.

I cant have them all.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

DB21 wrote: »
    Just how much more complicated it gets, how much more are you expected to remember for the exams, does it relate to first year stuff?

Well I'm not sure why you'd be remembering stuff off for exams but yes, it gets harder obviously and it follows on from what you done last year. Remember to go to the MSC if you get into difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Computer science as part of the science degree, what's it like?

Any skills needed?

How do absolute beginners find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Computer science as part of the science degree, what's it like?

Any skills needed?

How do absolute beginners find it?

Depends what you mean by absolute beginners.
    If you've never seen a computer before and your afraid of them, it isn't for you.

If your interested in computers and how they work and some of the why's then it might be for you.

First year usually is a module on Programming, a module on Computers in general and a module on Computer Science (the logical machines and models which make all this stuff work).

Turn up to lectures and pay attention, turn up to labs and get your hands on the material and take it all home and play with it on your own machine and see where your not understanding it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm taking it now and really liking it.

Anyone any experience with first yeat Maths physics or Exp. physics?

I don't know which to pick and the former seems very formula based and confusing. I've only had one lecture aswell :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Thanks, I'm taking it now and really liking it.

Anyone any experience with first yeat Maths physics or Exp. physics?

I don't know which to pick and the former seems very formula based and confusing. I've only had one lecture aswell :confused:

Exp Physics is much much easier!! Neil Trappe is brilliant and the Astronomy Stuff is just learing off..

\few of my mates failed maths physics so up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

If you can regurgitate material then both MP and EP are easy enough to pass in first year. EP have their hand forced to start form a much lower level in first year than MP, so the material is easier maths wise. They move much faster than MP, but this isn't much of a problem in first year.

In subsequent years, EP jumps massively in difficulty and keeps the pace up. I never lost much sleep over MP, but EP was quite often a different story.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that whereas in first year EP might be the easier option, that is turned on it's head once you reach second year, so unless you're planning on dropping whichever of them you choose, you should think carefully about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

In English do you need to study Shakespeare for first year?

I bought the bundle and was shocked to see there was no Shakespearean drama in it.

lemansky wrote: »
    If you can regurgitate material then both MP and EP are easy enough to pass in first year. EP have their hand forced to start form a much lower level in first year than MP, so the material is easier maths wise. They move much faster than MP, but this isn't much of a problem in first year.

In subsequent years, EP jumps massively in difficulty and keeps the pace up. I never lost much sleep over MP, but EP was quite often a different story.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that whereas in first year EP might be the easier option, that is turned on it's head once you reach second year, so unless you're planning on dropping whichever of them you choose, you should think carefully about that.

I'll definitely be dropping whichever one I pick.... so, Maths physics it is. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

karaokeman wrote: »
    In English do you need to study Shakespeare for first year?

I bought the bundle and was shocked to see there was no Shakespearean drama in it.

I studied 2 Shakespeare plays when I was in first year; I assume you will be. Maybe you're not doing any until next semester though.

I know it's a bit late for you, but I'll say this for the benefit of others. There is absolutely no need to buy that novels bundle. They can be got far cheaper if you buy them separately! Editions of novels make no difference whatsoever, the text is always the same :-)

I studied 2 Shakespeare plays when I was in first year; I assume you will be. Maybe you're not doing any until next semester though.

I know it's a bit late for you, but I'll say this for the benefit of others. There is absolutely no need to buy that novels bundle. They can be got far cheaper if you buy them separately! Editions of novels make no difference whatsoever, the text is always the same :-)

Is it the same for English through Arts students.

I know the Arts route and direct have different course structures so this may be the case.

Is it the same for English through Arts students.

I know the Arts route and direct have different course structures so this may be the case.
    I did English through arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dariusIII

anybody do greek or latin, what's it like?

I did English through arts.

Alright cool thanks, I'm perfectly ok with studying Shakespeare. It can be difficult but I understand that its necessary to become a good literary critic to have studied his work.

Another thing, is it true what my uncle told me (he's a mature in 3rd year) that in a poetry essay you only need to write about one poem in your answer but write 5-6 pages about it?

I was surprised when I heard this considering that for the LC we covered 4-5 poems in an essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

dariusIII wrote: »
    anybody do greek or latin, what's it like?
    They're language classes, you've already missed 7, next Greek one is on Thursday at 9, don't know about the Latin but I think there's 5 classes a week in that too. If the Greek is anything to go by, both languages are moving fast, but I think it's still at a stage where you could catch up if you put in a good weekend of work. Two solid days and you'd be flying. But I'm slow so it might not take anywhere near that long. We started from absolute scratch, no prior knowledge necessary, so if you have any you could just jump in and probably find them pretty easy for a while.

But they're pure language, in first year anyway. Not the same as the Greek and Roman civilization course, which is all the history and literature etc.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying the Greek so far. Something extremely satisfying in being able to translate a whole paragraph of Greek text after only a week, even if it is just Ann and Barry level stuff at this stage.

Alright cool thanks, I'm perfectly ok with studying Shakespeare. It can be difficult but I understand that its necessary to become a good literary critic to have studied his work.

Another thing, is it true what my uncle told me (he's a mature in 3rd year) that in a poetry essay you only need to write about one poem in your answer but write 5-6 pages about it?

I was surprised when I heard this considering that for the LC we covered 4-5 poems in an essay.

One thing you should get out of your head is what you did in essays for the LC, especially poetry. It's studied in a much different way at college.

What your uncle said could indeed be considered true (e.g. I've written an essay about "The Waste Land" in the past, which is just one poem, albeit a long one). However, the main thing to do is just answer the question; it will tell you how many poems you need to refer to. Don't try and stick to a certain number for every answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Hey guys,
    Just wondering can anyone give me any info about the Science Education course? :)

I'd love some info from students doing the course who know 1st hand what it's like.
    Any tips?
    What's the time table like?
    Is it really difficult?
    How many people are accepted yearly?
    I only have maths (OL) and biology and plan to major in both. Is it ok not to have chemistry/physics?

Any inof would be appreciated.
    Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Saramina

hey guys,
    I'm a first year and I'm thinking about changing one of my subjects to history, could anyone please post up the times for the history tutorials for HY111? that would be great, thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cclittlec

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has done the MA in Mediation and Conflict Resolution in NUI Maynooth and what they thought of it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am a recent law graduate and have been looking into mediation as a career. I studied it during my law degree and am seriously thinking of becoming a certified mediator. I am only 23 though and don't have much practical work experience as I only graduated recently. Is 23 too young to be thinking of this career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Well lads, thinkin of doin music technology next year and just wonderin has the course changed because all the info from students that I can find are old posts! If anyone could gimme an idea of what its like now that'd be great.. Is it still as slow moving as it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Manic2 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering can anyone give me any info about the Science Education course? :)

I'd love some info from students doing the course who know 1st hand what it's like.
    Any tips?
    What's the time table like?
    Is it really difficult?
    How many people are accepted yearly?
    I only have maths (OL) and biology and plan to major in both. Is it ok not to have chemistry/physics?

Any inof would be appreciated.
    Thanks. :)

Okay, Science Ed:

It can be tough. First year, you'll be doing Maths, Chemistry, Experimental Physics, and Biology. So pretty full timetable.

2nd year, you drop two of those, and pick up Education. The two you stick with, you get your BSc in, as well as your BA in Education.

However, I wouldn't plan on doing any post-grad stuff following on from a Science Ed degree. The reality is that due to the Education modules, some Science modules are trimmed, and others are set specifically for SciEd.

For instance, there are no research lab options in final year SciEd in Chemistry. So, you only do this course if you intend on being a teacher.

BUT you CAN drop out of SciEd into most other denominated science courses (Pharma Chem, Bio Med, etc.) at the end of first year, and into General Science at the end of Second Year.

Second Year onward, you'll be out on Teaching Practice on a weekly basis. Semester 1 of Second Year is observation. Semester 2, you teach 1st to 3rd years.

In Third Year, you take 5th and 6th years as well, for both Semster 1 and 2, you will be teaching.

In Fourth Year, you do a 2 week block of teaching practice before college resumes, and again weekly for semester 1. There is NO teaching practice in semester 2 of 4th year.

While you're teaching, you'll have to do up lesson plans, which can be time consuming.

30 students are accepted into the course each year. This is a huge benefit, because you really get to know everyone in that group. I know each and every person from my (now former) SciEd group. There's a lot of team work assignments in Education, so you learn to stick together.

As far as difficulty goes, I'm not going to lie. In the two years I did SciEd, I learned a lot about it. In particular, it takes a specific type of person to be a teacher. There are those who can juggle everything, and then there are those like me who get overwhelmed. There are others who think teaching is for them, but realise a couple of weeks into TP, it really isn't. So the only advice I have there is that you try it.

And it's perfectly okay not to have chemistry and physics. The first year courses aren't that tough.

Best of luck.

Hiya
    I'm in 2nd yr doing economics and finance.

I would like to know if anyone has done this module called game theory and strategic behaviour ec215.

The whole concept is very interesting but I'm worried about the exams.

Could anyone shed light on this module.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hiya
    I'm in 2nd yr doing economics and finance.

I would like to know if anyone has done this module called game theory and strategic behaviour ec215.

The whole concept is very interesting but I'm worried about the exams.

Could anyone shed light on this module.

Cheers

FairPlay man I'm the same course and I thought game theory was interesting but don't think I would be able to continue as it wouldnt be as much use to me as the finance options.

I'm doing FN212 Financial Modelling and EC211 Money and Banking so if anyone did either of these model I too would be interested in some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

heffo500 wrote: »
    ] EC211 Money and Banking

I done this last year and really enjoyed it. Julie Byrne is a good lecturer and they were 2 hour lectures which I felt really meant we got more stuff covered.

The content is almost an extension of Macroeconomics just and a lot of it is relevant to current economic news. Plus you get to learn how the bond and stock markets work. I'd definitely recommend you take the module.

FairPlay man I'm the same course and I thought game theory was interesting but don't think I would be able to continue as it wouldnt be as much use to me as the finance options.

I'm doing FN212 Financial Modelling and EC211 Money and Banking so if anyone did either of these model I too would be interested in some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Howdy,

I wanted to do fn212 as wekk but I might noit be able to as I do busines as my third subject.

I will be doing game theory as my extra module, not necessary but I want to as it will help me in seeking employment in my desired banch of economics/finance.

Although its hard v.hard.

I am also doing macroeconomics 2 and money and baking, great modules, Julie is one hell of a beast in teaching macroeconomics modules, so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks in advance.

Howdy,

I wanted to do fn212 as wekk but I might noit be able to as I do busines as my third subject.

I will be doing game theory as my extra module, not necessary but I want to as it will help me in seeking employment in my desired banch of economics/finance.

Although its hard v.hard.

I am also doing macroeconomics 2 and money and baking, great modules, Julie is one hell of a beast in teaching macroeconomics modules, so looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the replies.I'd say EC211 will be good. Just wondering what sort of area economics/finance are you going into?

I'd love someone to give an insight into FN212.Please.

Thanks for all the replies.I'd say EC211 will be good. Just wondering what sort of area economics/finance are you going into?

I'd love someone to give an insight into FN212.Please.

I would like to go into Investment banking or stock trading/ analysis.

Although I can take the path of becoming an accountant but I dont like accounting at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Asking on behalf of a friend here. Any history students know the craic with IRELAND,BELGIUM & EUROPE ES230 ?

Is it any good/do you have to pay for the trip to Belgium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

Hey guys! Anyone know what Anthroplogy and Greek & Roman Civilisation are like in first year arts?

Advertisement