Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top three - Nordic food

• 16-09-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭

With the intention to bring some life into this Nordic forum and, of course, inspire people to cook good food and try new things, I thought it could be a good idea to start a random thread with your top three Nordic foods :)

Mine would be:

1. Kalops
    2. Kåldolmar
    3. Smörgåstårta

Somehow, though, no one in my surrounding like smörgåstårta so I rarely get it :(
    Oh well... At least I get cabbage rolls tonight :)

What food would be on your top three list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

With the intention to bring some life into this Nordic forum and, of course, inspire people to cook good food and try new things, I thought it could be a good idea to start a random thread with your top three Nordic foods :)

Mine would be:

1. Kalops
    2. Kåldolmar
    3. Smörgåstårta

Somehow, though, no one in my surrounding like smörgåstårta so I rarely get it :(
    Oh well... At least I get cabbage rolls tonight :)

What food would be on your top three list?

Hmmm will have to get one of my Swedish friends to explain no. 1 and 3 on your list there :)

My top 3 would be

1. Flæskesteg
    2. 'Stjerneskud' (smørrebrød med fisk, asparges, kaviar, rejer osv.)
    3. Min mosters brune sovs, som hun laver til julemiddagen :)

Can't wait to go home for xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Hmmm will have to get one of my Swedish friends to explain no. 1 and 3 on your list there :)

My top 3 would be

1. Flæskesteg

No. 1 is a stew and no. 3 is lika a Swedish smørrebrød in cake form :)
    Google pictures and you'll see.

Din nummer 2 låter fantastiskt god! Men så vet jag att danska smørrebrød är jättegoda... :o

*drools*

No. 1 is a stew and no. 3 is lika a Swedish smørrebrød in cake form :)
    Google pictures and you'll see.

Din nummer 2 låter fantastiskt god! Men så vet jag att danska smørrebrød är jättegoda... :o

*drools*

Aha kalops is a kind of beef stew, looks delicious! I also googled smörgåstårta and I actually tasted that once! A Swedish friend made that for her birthday.

One of my favourite smørrebrød is the one called 'Dyrlægens natmad', mums!

Great thread, makes me want to go to Ikea for some meatballs :D

Perhaps there are some items in Ikea you can use to make something Danish as well ;)
    There ought to be sill and bread and such that you can use for a smørrebrød.

Oh, and Danish remoulade sauce is wonderful! But you wouldn't be able to get that in Ikea :(

I usually bring loads of remoulade back when I've been to DK :) eating chips is just not the same without it.

Aldi's got sild and rugbrød as well even though it's not completely the same but I usually get some when I go to Ikea. And I always have to get some snørrebånd too! I think you call them Snören :)

Hope they'll get an Ikea in Galway one day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm gonna say
    1. pinnekjøtt
    2. ferske reker
    3. rømmegrøt

But I have a real soft spot for Fiskepudding that nobody else shares :(

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'm gonna say
    1. pinnekjøtt
    2. ferske reker
    3. rømmegrøt

Mmmmmm, shrimp...

I have never even heard of the other two dishes and had to google your 1 and 3 :)
    Rømmegrøt sounds very intriguing. When would one eat that? For breakfast? What does it taste like? Is it sour? :)

Oh so many questions, who knew Norwegian food would be so different :)

Never heard of 1 and 3 either but pinnekjött looks tasty! Didn't know there was such a thing as römme :)

Reminds me a bit of koldskål even though it looks a bit thicker - would you have koldskål in Sweden and Norway??

I googled fiskepudding - that actually looks really good. Kinda like lakse/fiskemouse but baked :D

I'd say Sweden has some type of fiskepudding, but I wouldn't be a big fan of it :o
    We have neither koldskål nor rømmegrøt :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mmmmmm, shrimp...

I have never even heard of the other two dishes and had to google your 1 and 3 :)
    Rømmegrøt sounds very intriguing. When would one eat that? For breakfast? What does it taste like? Is it sour? :)

Oh so many questions, who knew Norwegian food would be so different :)

No, Rømmegrøt is either eaten as a simple meal in itself or sometimes as a desert. We tended to have it after being in the mountains or out on the fjord (i.e. outdoors). It has a lovely sweet and cinnamon taste to it.

Some very local things I've a great fondness for is Hvit Dame kake (en tradisjonell marsipankake med lange tradisjoner fra Bergen),skillingsboller, skoleboller and sommerboller (god I love boller! :D) and Hansa Champagnebrus.

Actually, I'd trade it all in for a bottle of Champagnebrus...

Some very local things I've a great fondness for is Hvit Dame kake (en tradisjonell marsipankake med lange tradisjoner fra Bergen),skillingsboller, skoleboller and sommerboller (god I love boller! :D) and Hansa Champagnebrus.

Actually, I'd trade it all in for a bottle of Champagnebrus...

Mmmm marcipan... what I wouldn't give for a piece of Anton Berg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Smörgåstårta
    Pyttipanna
    Jordgubbstårta

Runner up: semla (hetvägg)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Pinnekjøtt
    Wasa crispbread with brown cheese
    Anthon Berg peppermint chocolate and snow balls

Is it possible to buy Wasa crispbread anywhere in Ireland by the way? Lidl had some tasty crispbreads earlier this year but I'm looking for a regular source.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Pinnekjøtt
    Wasa crispbread with brown cheese
    Anthon Berg peppermint chocolate and snow balls

Is it possible to buy Wasa crispbread anywhere in Ireland by the way? Lidl had some tasty crispbreads earlier this year but I'm looking for a regular source.

Love it, just love it, especially Gudbrandsdalsost G35, was practically brought up on the stuff!

As for Wasa crispbread, maybe Superquinn? Or (randomly) Amazon.co.uk
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/German-Wasa-Crispbread-Wholemeal-260/dp/B003RFZYEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1317390652&sr=1-1

Gudbrandsdalsost is the king of cheese.

I found a few varieties of Wasa in the Polish shop in Paul Street Shopping Centre, Cork, but not the one I wanted. My quest continues in my local Polish and other Eastern European shops.

I saw Gudbrandsdalsost or a similar Norwegian cheese in the English market in Cork once.

Stopped off in a random SuperValu in Dublin 24 on the way home today and noticed they had Marabou Daim on sale for €2.

Marabou_daim.jpg

Easier than having to go all the way to Ikea.

My top 3 would be

1. Flæskesteg

My aunts "flæskesteg og brun sovs" was as good as I remembered but I also want to add "snebolde" to the list. Marcipan covered in white sugar, yum yum yum, brought 3 bags home with me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Stopped off in a random SuperValu in Dublin 24 on the way home today and noticed they had Marabou Daim on sale for €2.

Marabou_daim.jpg

Easier than having to go all the way to Ikea.

I thought Ikea only has Ikea food products now, or did that not come into affect yet?

• Advertisement

My aunts "flæskesteg og brun sovs" was as good as I remembered but I also want to add "snebolde" to the list. Marcipan covered in white sugar, yum yum yum, brought 3 bags home with me :D

I love snebolde. We really need a Scandinavian shop in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Renskav med potatismos och rårörda lingon
    Janssons frestelse
    Köttbollar med potatismos och gräddsås

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rookey

I've just stumbled accross this part of boards and it's making me want to get over to Norway to see my family again....

so many good foods, I would have to have
    lapskaus
    Lørdagsgrøt
    ribberull with sennep on kneip

oh and I can'f forget my addiction to villa farris when Im over there....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Joika !

Ill have think of the nxt 2 on the list..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Sabre Man wrote: »

I love snebolde. We really need a Scandinavian shop in Ireland.

Is the Swedish Food Company in Dublin gone?

I can't live without my salty liquorice :o
    I know it isn't a food as such, but I can't be away from Scandinavia very long without it. More countries should have it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

After spending my first Christmas with the in-laws in Oslo I have to say that two of my favourite Norwegian foods are Pinnekjøtt and multekrem.

There's also plenty of stuff I couldn't stand. Brunost and pickled herring are the best examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Marabou and Plopp <3 nom nom nom.

Oh and surströmming cause I'm a hard bai.

Indeed you are if you like surströmming :)
    I've never had that, but those horror stories about the smell isn't making me brave enough to try it even :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Indeed you are if you like surströmming :)
    I've never had that, but those horror stories about the smell isn't making me brave enough to try it even :o

I've never tried it and never will, haha! I want to smell it though!

Advertisement