Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread for Maggots!

• 10-09-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Any other Maggots here? If ya gotta ask "What's a Maggot" then you're obviously not ;)

Seen Slipknot around 12 times live now, first time back on there first UK tour at Manchester Academy, only went as was close to OMS the support band.

I've NEVER seen these guys put on a bad show, my fav band of all time is Metallica but these guys are running a very close second.

Joey, IMO is one of the best drummers in Rock/Metal out there now, they guy's a machine.

Corey just lives and breathes Metal, always on the go either wit Slipknot or SS, met him twice and he's cool as fcuk to boot.

Fav tracks are

PSYCHOSOCIAL

A live favourite, SPIT IT OUT

And my alltime Fav

I also drive like a twat when i listen to Slipknot :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

scudzilla wrote: »
    I've NEVER seen these guys put on a bad show
    I agree with that. I've seen Slipknot four times and they've always impressed me. They first came to my attention when I returned to Ireland in 2001 after a summer in San Francisco. All of a sudden there were all these kids wearing Slipknot hoodies dotted around Galway. It has always seemed strange to me that Slipknot seemed to become so popular when there were other, arguably more accessible bands that fell by the wayside. I suppose it was probably the novelty of the masks :).

Elitists probably long since dismissed them as nu-metal with all the negative connotations that brings but I've no time for elitists, a lot of time for Slipknot though ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Joey, IMO is one of the best drummers in Rock/Metal out there now, they guy's a machine.
    :

Are there many other metal drummers that need 2 percussionists to complement their sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Are there many other metal drummers that need 2 percussionists to complement their sound?
    He doesn't need them as such, more like he wanted a couple of his less talented mates to join his band ;).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Malice wrote: »
    He doesn't need them as such, more like he wanted a couple of his less talented mates to join his band ;).

And now the band feels too guilty to kick them out :pac:

I haven't listened to Slipknot in a long time, sorta fell out of listening to them when I began listening to more death and black metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Always been a big for of The Knot! I first heard them back in '99 when Wait And Bleed appeared on a Metal Hammer CD. I fell in love with them straight away. They are one of the bands that really blew open the doors to Heavy Metal and Rock music for me. Before that, I had myself tagged as a metalhead, but really I was just a Metallica fan. After hearing these guys I branched out into a ton of other bands, and I've never looked back. Seen them three times over the years (twice in Dublin, and once in Blefast) and was even lucky enough to meet Jim Root at the Blefast show. Animal of a band!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im of the opinion that Slipknot stopped mattering a long time ago.I do however throw on their debut every now and again,tis still a top album.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

In my opinion, feel free to disagree, but at the time Slipknot emerged on the pages of Kerrang heavy music was in a trough of popularity. I myself was leaning towards Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Billy Bragg and Depeche Mode, that kind of direction at the time when 'Eyeless' popped up on a Metal Hammer disc I think it was and got hooked on it, which led me back towards heavy music. Slipknot indirectly led me to Meshuggah, Dillinger, Candiria and such, and provided a good gateway band for a lot of kids my age (at the time) and I'd imagine they still do.

Hated what they did after they left Ross Robinson (NU-METAL REPRAZENT etc.) apart from the odd few catchy songs, but they are a pop band (insofar as an abbreviation for 'popular' so don't get offended) so from my point of view they have earned their place in terms of influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Seen them three times and agreed, they have never put on a bad show.
    Or to re-phrase that, Corey Taylor has never put on a bad show.

Even the Stone Sour gig was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The clown was always the mouthpiece of the band and IIRC he often made statements without the band being fully onboard.
    All that article tells me is that Crahan wants to get back to the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Like others hear I first heard them on a MetalHammer cd. Really loved the sound then and was lucky enough to see them live and meet them in 1999 at a gig just outside Boston in the US. An amazing show and they were so sound too.

Still give them an ould turn on the em pee tree playa!

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Haven't listened to them in years. I remember Vol 3 being a really solid album though. I must give it a listen again now.

I saw them once with Metallica in 2004 and they definitely knew how to get the crowd going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Haven't been bothered with them since Vol. 3 but the two times I saw them live they were excellent. The indoor gig in the RDS was great craic.

Sure they've only had one album since Vol.3

You certainly can't say they are quantity over quality

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

I'm 25 and only started listening to them since last week, f**k me they are unreal, hope they play over here again soon I'd say they are amazing live.

One of my favourite tracks from All Hope Is Gone... Shame Slipknot haven't attempted it in a live setting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Saw them headline Graspop on Saturday night - all I can say is "wow". I don't think I've ever seen a band play with as much raw energy and aggression. Plus, the sound was absolutely fantastic, probably owing to the fact that there are so many members to fill out the sonic stage. An absolute feast for the senses, and I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of tracks I actually recognised. Surfacing is an awesome closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Huge fan of this band (and Corey Taylor in general). Been dying to see them for years but have not got the chance. If the new album is really happening fingers crossed for some sort of Irish date!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sic is a great opening track.Corey is definitely one of great front men out there atm.

• Advertisement

Slipknot's Download 2009 set was awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I like Slipknot, I think they're one of those bands that you either love or yuo hate because I know there are people out there that give them slack and say things like "All they do is scream blah blah blah". But I enjoy their music nonetheless. I'm a bigger Stone Sour fans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Fan of SLIPKNOT, loved their first three albums. Never managed to get into All hope is gone.

Have seen them live 3 times but they have never impressed me. Always found their sound to be ropey and Corey isn't great live it seems he is always out of breath and trying to keep up.

Watched two songs by them on the Download festival highlights on Sky Arts and they seemed very mundane and just going through the motions. A lot of the members just wandering around with no energy or not really contributing to the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Beekay wrote: »
    Fan of SLIPKNOT, loved their first three albums. Never managed to get into All hope is gone.

Have seen them live 3 times but they have never impressed me. Always found their sound to be ropey and Corey isn't great live it seems he is always out of breath and trying to keep up.

Watched two songs by them on the Download festival highlights on Sky Arts and they seemed very mundane and just going through the motions. A lot of the members just wandering around with no energy or not really contributing to the music.

So much wrong with this post, i first seen Slipknot in the Manchester Academy back in 2000 and have seen them about 10 times since, at festivals and on there own tours, not once have they let me down.

Sound has been perfect for every show and they ALWAYS give 100%, probably the most consistently good live band i've ever seen.

As for not contributing, i take it you mean Clown and Sid, Clown just beats the fcuk out of his tins and Sid, well, when he isn't directly involved in a song he just gets up to all sorts of mad shit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So much wrong with this post, i first seen Slipknot in the Manchester Academy back in 2000 and have seen them about 10 times since, at festivals and on there own tours, not once have they let me down.

Sound has been perfect for every show and they ALWAYS give 100%, probably the most consistently good live band i've ever seen.

As for not contributing, i take it you mean Clown and Sid, Clown just beats the fcuk out of his tins and Sid, well, when he isn't directly involved in a song he just gets up to all sorts of mad ****

I actually agree with Beekay. Saw them at Soni 11, and was so bored. Said I'd give 'em a chance, but it was very anti-climactical. Its all wasted energy and aggression, and fake aggression at that. Cut the stupid gimmicks and it'd be much better. Was funny getting abused for "disrespecting Paul" by not sitting down too.

Mushy wrote: »
    I actually agree with Beekay. Saw them at Soni 11, and was so bored. Said I'd give 'em a chance, but it was very anti-climactical. Its all wasted energy and aggression, and fake aggression at that. Cut the stupid gimmicks and it'd be much better. Was funny getting abused for "disrespecting Paul" by not sitting down too.

Haha, not that Paul stuff made me cringe, IMO they're milking it a LOT more than they should be.

When he died a few days later they held a press conference, nobody has really picked up on this but i was disgusted. All 8 members of the band were there, and sat right at the end was Paul's wife. All well and good holding the conference but surely the guy's wife should have been in the centre, wit 4 bands members either side supporting her. Just my opinion, but that disgusted me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Haha, not that Paul stuff made me cringe, IMO they're milking it a LOT more than they should be.

When he died a few days later they held a press conference, nobody has really picked up on this but i was disgusted. All 8 members of the band were there, and sat right at the end was Paul's wife. All well and good holding the conference but surely the guy's wife should have been in the centre, wit 4 bands members either side supporting her. Just my opinion, but that disgusted me

I find it funny they're milking it so much given the Marxist lyrics the songs contain.

Never noticed that, maybe as it was Slipknots conference that's why they did it.

Mushy wrote: »
    I find it funny they're milking it so much given the Marxist lyrics the songs contain.

Never noticed that, maybe as it was Slipknots conference that's why they did it.

Either way they should have put her in the middle, to show support for her, maybe i'm being trivial but it showed a lot in my eyes, just like "Ah, it's only his wife, we better stick her at the end"

2014 is definitely looking like Slipknot's comeback year, according to Corey Taylor via Metal Injection

http://www.metalinjection.net/video/slipknots-corey-taylors-favorite-band-to-see-live

''We are talking about getting together next year and putting some new music together. Everybody's getting some demos together right now. I've got about four or five songs that I'm working on. Joey's got a ton of stuff. Clown's got a bunch of stuff. Jim's got some stuff, Mick…we all write so it's going to take a lot time to get the madness under control. But right now that's the plan, is to get together early next year and start throwing ideas at each other.''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

i like a fair amount of their songs but from videos i have seen corey taylor isn't that great live in my opinion, i wouldn't pay much to see them

Advertisement