Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinosaur Revolution (TV show)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah the animation was a bit weird - The models almost seemed a bit cartoony.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

dlofnep wrote: »
    Yeah the animation was a bit weird - The models almost seemed a bit cartoony.

Agreed. The Saurosuchus chasing after the Eoraptors almost looked like a toy being manipulated by a kid, you know, like when the kid is holding a toy animal and pretending its running?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Clips ahoy!

Click into it and there's loads more on the sidebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭panthera

• Advertisement

The constant cutting and restarting for American TV style adverts is very annoying. Just when it starts to get momentum, we have a break in the action to tell us what's coming next followed by restating what we've already seen. Hopefully when it's shown on TV here they'll be more sensible. Maybe that's why it hasn't been released here yet. It could do with a re-cut to fit our advert schedule.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

The Gigantoraptor is cool but, did they HAVE to use the Temminck's Tragopan's wattle for it? It's not that I don´t like the idea of a wattle, its just the fact that it's TOO OBVIOUSLY a Temminck's Tragopan's wattle. They even showed the bird during the show!

Did they not air another episode on Sunday? I was looking but couldn't find it.

Episode 4 is up now (don't know what happened to episode 3):
    http://eztvstream.com/dinosaur-revolution/dinosaur-revolution-season-1-episode-4-end-game

I watched episode 4 'End Game' and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more than episodes 1 & 2. Maybe I'm just more used to the format at this point or maybe tyrannosaurs messing stuff up is totally my bag. The dinosaur behavior is still over the top and a bit cartoony. For example,
    when the female rex finds the spot where her chicks were killed she roars emphatically into the air much like Darth Vader's infamous "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" scene.
    Not to mention the scene where the rex chicks chase a small pachecephalosaur into a hollow log. That was pure Looney Toons.
    The episode takes a turn to the macabre once the meteor hits and the focus shifts from the tyrannosaurs to a pair of Troodon tying to eek out a living in a post apocalyptic world. The final shot of the episode is, to say the least, grim, invoking memories of the BBC series Threads.
    It's one hell of a contrast, I'll give them that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Galvasean wrote: »
    I watched episode 4 'End Game' and I must say I enjoyed it a lot more than episodes 1 & 2. Maybe I'm just more used to the format at this point or maybe tyrannosaurs messing stuff up is totally my bag. The dinosaur behavior is still over the top and a bit cartoony. .

It can't possibly be worse than the watering hole. I was half expecting the Allosaur to smack the torvosaur over the head with a frying pan, spring into the air, Meep! Meep! and have it away like a shot.

Still the animation is good, the spread of critters is too. There is some science in there somewhere I suppose.

Guess it's just aimed at a different audience.

Goldfish maybe?

I was reading that apparently it was originally pitched as a cartoon show for kids and the sciency stuff was added in later because producers wanted to exploit as many demographs as possible. Wouldn't mind seeing it trimmed down to a half hour show with the 'taking heads' and narration removed. It might be more fun that way. The science seems tacked on. On one hand you cant take it seriously since its so wacky and on the other hand it's hard to take the cartoonishness at face value when they're trying to sell it as a serious documentary. It's trying very hard to be two things and once, but is coming across as a jack of all trades, but master of none.
    I've also heard that if it's a success they plan to take all of the best bits and make a feature movie.

I suppose you have several teirs of documentary.

At the top end you have the Walking With...
    The the March of...

All the way down to JFC and Dino Revolution. Now we know that it's not an atlantic divide thing, When Dinosaurs Roamed is right up there. So why oh why waste such a large production budget on turning Allosaurus into Wile Coyote?

But that said, Those Rexs are MEAN looking

Wouldn't mind seeing it trimmed down to a half hour show with the 'taking heads' and narration removed. It might be more fun that way. The science seems tacked on. On one hand you cant take it seriously since its so wacky and on the other hand it's hard to take the cartoonishness at face value when they're trying to sell it as a serious documentary. It's trying very hard to be two things and once, but is coming across as a jack of all trades, but master of none.
    I've also heard that if it's a success they plan to take all of the best bits and make a feature movie.

This.

And I could say the same about Planet Dinosaur. Well, kinda. Although it is not "cartoony" like DR, it does try hard to be two things at once. On one hand, a serious, old-fashioned documentary like the ones we all grew up with, and at the same time a wildlife-drama-thingy like the ones WWD made popular.
    Because it's all crammed there and there's really no space for either lots of interesting facts or engaging storytelling, it feels a little bit dissapointing when you finish watching it, as if there could have been so much more.

The show's creator Pete Von Sholly has announced that a trimmed down version of the show with no narration will be released on BlurRay. It is to me more in line with what the original plan was and may even be called 'Reign of the Dinosaurs' as was originally planed.

Found episode 3 online. Just started watching. Apparently those long necked dinosaurs are called 'Ceropods'.

http://www.videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=0FJXHT88Bnbx

Episode 3 was a mixed bag. Some of it was really good, even touching (
    the Protoceratops graveyard
    for example). Other parts were just too silly for my liking, particularly the section involving Guanlong
    what the heck was that Mamenchisaurus doing there anyway?
    I really liked the Utahraptor section though. Fun without being too silly.

Yeah it was decent. I tried finding a highly quality version of it but couldn't. It's really something you have to see in high def. Utahraptor section was good. And the devil toads?

Yep, they're real. Dont think there's any evidence of the whip tongue though.

Found episode 3 online. Just started watching. Apparently those long necked dinosaurs are called 'Ceropods'.

http://www.videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=0FJXHT88Bnbx

And baby jesus cried...

• Advertisement

Other parts were just too silly for my liking, particularly the section involving Guanlong

Also, what in the hell was a Volaticotherium doing attacking a pair of Guanlong?

Looking back at how excited we were for this on page 1....

There was an ad for this on tV today. It's finally being aired this side of the Atlantic under the original title of Reign of the Dinosaurs. I'm guessing enough time has passed that they think we've all forgotten...

Advertisement