Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on doing medicine

Options
  • 24-08-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Im 18 years old turning 19 in july and have spent one year in college doing a physics and maths course, however I hate it. I rushed into college having only just turned 17 and was completely overwhelmed by the course and the whole idea of being in college so I said nothing. Now I regret this decision.

I lived with a med student for the year and he seemed to really enjoy the course and everything it entailed. Last time I did my leaving I slacked off alot, wasn't motivated untill I failed two subject in my mocks but when I put my head down and focused I ended up receiving 485, but I still wasnt happy with this as I know I can do better, but this didnt affect me at the time as I just wanted to be in college.

Now that I am going back doing the leaving I feel much more mature having gained experinece in college. I know what is needed now to be as successfull as one can be in college.

But now that I have decided to aim for medicine I can't help but ask myself "am I being realistic." Not alone do I want to help people but I also want the nobility and respect that comes with being a doctor. My grades have always been B average having only ever put in minimal effort. I did a few sample question from the H-PAT online and got them all right. But I feel that maybe am I still unaware of what would be ahead of me in doing medicine.

Another thing that has motivated me to do it is a friend of mine who always received much the same grades as me repeated 5th year and in 6th year really put his head down and is now doing medicine.

If I dont get medicine I still want to do something related to health care such as physiotherapy or radiography or even biomedical engineering. However my aim is still medicine. I feel that I am prepared to work but I want to know if I am being realistic.

I want to know if anyone has any experience like me or experience doing medicine or a medical course, if you do I'd love to know what you thought of it or how intense it was. I still havent really told my parents its medicine I really want, they just thing its something in health care.

Many Thanks to all who reply.

P.S. graduate medicine isnt as option due to finance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Just to put it out there. Eastern Europe is always an option to look at. I'm so sorry I didn't even look into this option when I finished LC in 2006. Instead I just went ahead and did radiography in ucd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MadLad1993

That would be a good option but again due to finance I cant afford that as I have younger siblings to go to college also.

Thanks for the reply anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Going on what you have said I would certainly go for it. If you are achieving B grades with minimal effort, and getting the h-pat questions correct(which is the most difficult part imo), its certainly worth attempting.

I suppose the only question you have to ask yourself is are you going to fully apply yourself? That's not for me to answer.

Its tough, I done the lc last year and thought i'd done all i could, but the hpat brought me down.

Whatever your decision is goodluck:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Give it your best shot!
    If you come up short, at least be able to say - I couldn't have worked harder!

Best of luck!
    Live your dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Go for it, I had a bad year, went back and went up 90 points. However I can tell you that there isn't all that much 'nobility and respect' going around ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

This isnt necessarily in relation to you post, but rather the title. Found this and thought it might be helpful to some of you out there..

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2011/08/20-questions-dr-kozel/

Some interesting points

Best of luck with your decision!

Advertisement