Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in the scouts

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm posting on behalf of my boyfreind here because he doesn't have the internet and I offered to do a little research for him.

Basically he's interested in a job in the scouts, at the moment how he could get qualifications to get a job in the Irish scouts. He has some first aid training, great enthusiasm and is great with children and teenagers but I'm not sure what else at the moment to qualify him for the job.

I looked up courses such as bushcraft but that looks like it's just for leisure and wouldn't give you a qualification but I know you also have to start somewhere.

He's 24.

All advice appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm posting on behalf of my boyfreind here because he doesn't have the internet and I offered to do a little research for him.

Basically he's interested in a job in the scouts, at the moment how he could get qualifications to get a job in the Irish scouts. He has some first aid training, great enthusiasm and is great with children and teenagers but I'm not sure what else at the moment to qualify him for the job.

I looked up courses such as bushcraft but that looks like it's just for leisure and wouldn't give you a qualification but I know you also have to start somewhere.

He's 24.

All advice appreciated :D

I presume he will be volunteering. Go to the nearest scout hall and sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

OK thanks, he wants a paid job in the long run but that's a good place to start, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

Leader positions are voluntary, as are the vast majority of positions in scouting. There are a small few paid positions (all in Dublin as far as I'm aware) but the ones I can think of would all require specific qualifications and experience - medical officer, child protection officer, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

conorod wrote: »
    Leader positions are voluntary, as are the vast majority of positions in scouting. There are a small few paid positions (all in Dublin as far as I'm aware) but the ones I can think of would all require specific qualifications and experience - medical officer, child protection officer, etc.

And lets face it, to get a job like that, you would need to have been involved in scouting for many years, in a variety of roles.

Advertisement