Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UKCAT - HELP

Options
  • 23-08-2011 6:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi guys I'm going to be doing the UKCAT this September/October and was hoping that you would be able to answer a few of my questions...

I'm wondering whether to take any courses at all, I've talked to my parents and they've agreed to pay the 300 quid or so if I need them but I'm just wondering has anyone ever taken the courses, if so were they helpful and where could you get any in Dublin?

Also as a matter of interest if any of you have done the Ukcat what did you get and how much did you study?

There aren't any age restrictions are there? I'm 16 at the moment but I couldn't find anything about age so I'm assuming I'm ok?

And finally do any English Medical schools offer any Rugby scholarships or Athletic Scholarships in general? If so would you guys know the application procedures?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AnnaKar

Sat the UKCAT in 2009, so hopefully my info isn't too out of date here, but suppose it can't hurt anyway! I didn't do any prep courses (mainly because I hadn't heard of any in Dublin, and didn't think it was worth flying to the UK for one), I did get a few of the prep books on amazon though, which were very helpful:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Clinical-Aptitude-University-Entrance/dp/184445178X/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1314102289&sr=8-16

http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314102607&sr=8-1

I found the former particularly helpful, lots of questions, with clear explanations of answers, so much so that I barely used the second! It's also pretty good for the BMAT (if you're considering applying to any of those colleges) and the general practice of getting used to critical reading etc. is pretty good for HPAT longer term! Hodges Figgis generally have a good supply of similar books too, if you want to go and have a root around! I'd focus on the online practice tests on the website too, they're really useful, particularly for timing (you will be SERIOUSLY pushed for time in some of the sections!) And just some sort of general mental arithmetic practice really wouldn't go amiss either!

I got 710 average, and suppose I did a reasonable amount of work, maybe a week of paying it proper attention... (not the sort of exam I'd just turn up for on the day anyway!)...at least, I got through all the practice questions in the first book, a few in the second, and did the online stuff a bit!

I'm fairly sure there aren't any age restrictions on the test itself, but I do remember reading, for a few of the Universities that I applied to, that they wouldn't accept you to study medicine unless you had turned 18 by the September you were meant to be starting, so you'd want to make sure that wasn't an issue!

No idea about the rugby/athletic scholarships to be honest :)

Hope this was in someway helpful..! Good luck anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Cheers mate, that's really helpful.

I'll get to it! =)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭doctorg

Make your self a saving and google for the second book its been floating around! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

For €29.70 you can have full access to hundreds of questions and practice in the comfort of your own home and save course fee and travel

See-
    http://www.onexamination.com/students/ukcat

Same site gives you the odds of success

Out of the 33 UK Medical Schools, 26 require the UKCAT as part of the application process. Competition for places is tough, last year out of 21,000 applicants only 9,000 were accepted into medical school,!!!!

I have saved you the trouble of knowing minimum LC grades and subjects needed for 2012

See

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365715

I would seriously ring/email admissions office in Universities you are interested in as I agree I think the admission age is 18 years unless you wanted to just try UKCAT to see how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elenimelos

I took the UKCAT a month ago and got 640. I got the 600 Question practice book and did a few of the examples there and that was it... wish I done more :( Some of my friends did the Kaplan course (which is available in Dublin if you want to find out more about it). They said that the preparation course probably boosted their score by about 100 points, so if you've got the money it's worth a shot.

Other than that, make sure you practise the questions under timed conditions - it sounds obvious but it's really important. The questions aren't actually that hard; it's getting them done in time that's difficult.

Athletics scholarships: I know someone in Bristol who got a £3500 grant, so I think it's probably similar at other universities. The amount you get/way you apply will probably depend on each uni individually though, so it's best to check each website and see what they offer.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, this is really helping me out.

@eliminelos - Isn't anything over 600 considered a good score? It says so in the 600 question book.

Also about the personal statements, do they take long to write? Are they significant? I'm thinking it'll take about a day, tops, to write?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Thanks guys, this is really helping me out.

@eliminelos - Isn't anything over 600 considered a good score? It says so in the 600 question book.

Also about the personal statements, do they take long to write? Are they significant? I'm thinking it'll take about a day, tops, to write?

I hate to tell you but personal statement is more important than UKCAT -Unless you can show evidence of health care experience you are wasting your time in UK. One day is enough to write the first draft NOT to finish it. Before you even start check age requirements or lot of work for nothing.

It's above average and I was quite happy with it... until I realised that Newcastle's cut off was higher than 640 last year. The score required nearly always goes up so I have no chance of getting in now :(

Personal statement is very important - drrkpd is right. They want to see that you're committed and that you know what you're letting yourself in for by choosing medicine as a career. Most UK applicants do some work experience in a hospital/GP's/care home, so make sure you include that if you've done it. It's taking me a lot longer than a day to write mine, but I might just be slow :p

Damn, didn't think it was that important, do you think that I could make some stuff up about having experience etc... or is that sort of thing frowned upon?

To be honest I don't have any experience at all having skipped 4th year although how are you expected to have experience working in a hospital or medical area at 18?

It is frowned upon, but a lot of people do it. It's best not to make something up completely - maybe exaggerate a little? If you've ever done any babysitting, helped kids younger than you at school, helped the elderly, even visiting the dcotors as a patient, then use that and say how what you learned from it, etc. It's not about what you've done, but how it's helped you decide you want to do medicine.

Most people in the UK just shadow a doctor or something for a week. I think it's harder applying from Ireland because the CAO and UCAS want completely different things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement