Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAD Plans of Dublin Architecture

• 16-08-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I need to acquire Cad plans of any building in Dublin for a college project, as long as its over 3 stories high and over 1,000 square meters.
    I've emailed a number of architects asking did they have anything they
    could let me have in DWG format for my college project,
    and only one person got back to me saying maybe?

Does anyone know how I can obtain CAD plans to buildings, is there a database? Or does anyone have CAD plans for a building, or know how I can get them. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

You could look up the planning maps, South Dublin CC make all planning application drawings available online. Maybe DCC do the sam, I'm not 100% sure.

You'll only get a PDF though, and to be honest if it was me, I wounldn't give DWG's out unless you could get your college to verify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

OP, you're running into a favourite ol' chestnut of mine: people who don't share CAD (for whatever reasons........)
    You'll only get a PDF though, and to be honest if it was me, I wounldn't give DWG's out unless you could get your college to verify it.

Why wouldn't you give out CAD ? - pdf's are useless to anyone other than people just browsing. What relevance does the college verifying OP's request have ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

galwaytt wrote: »
    OP, you're running into a favourite ol' chestnut of mine: people who don't share CAD (for whatever reasons........)

Why wouldn't you give out CAD ? - pdf's are useless to anyone other than people just browsing. What relevance does the college verifying OP's request have ?

There are plenty of reasons why original CAD data isn't shared. Ownership (IP owned by customer and not designer), fear of tampering (changing designs, passing off as your own work) and segregating designs (giving only the necessary info to a 3rd party) are all pretty valid. In the past I think tampering was the biggest problem, but modern revision control systems can reveal this pretty easily. There's probably a bit of self-interest too, as design changes can only come from the designer(s).

On the college end, it would just verify that the DWGs are for educational (and not commercial) use.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

i have the drawings for St Maurs Church in Rush if you want them...and yes, they are cad!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ddooris

Shuriken

I guess you found your buliding plans....have you any advise on how you ending up gettting them...i am finding it hard to get mine also..people just don't want to hand them over...

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Shuriken

ddooris wrote: »
    Shuriken

I guess you found your buliding plans....have you any advise on how you ending up gettting them...i am finding it hard to get mine also..people just don't want to hand them over...

D

I emailed about 50/60 architects until one got back to me! You just gotta persistent and a little bit arrogant! lol

Advertisement