Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

You'll definitely need something like an Audio 2 DJ, but everything else, yes.

For the CD decks it depends on the decks, but most of those dual units have inputs on the back, so you can normally route traktor through it, just have a look on the lack. If there's a line-in for each channel you're sorted.

You can mix on Traktor with just a mouse, and you can map some things to your laptop keyboard too to make it easier. It's just a bit of a pain, mainly for the knobs and faders.

As for the Oxygen 8:

Thanks a million for the info, the video is very interesting, cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Any tips on getting paid gigs around the south east of ireland DJing during the summer? Ive played a few small gigs in clubs for free but would like to get a regular slot and make a bit of cash at the same time.

Ive played lots of house parties and have my own setup, but dont like djing the commercial rihanna/eminem/beyonce etc., prefer house/tech house/dubstep etc. but I know that its hard to get paid gigs playing that in ireland, im not located in dublin. I think im pretty decent for the length ive been djing (2 years)...

Is it best to just make mix cd's and give them to club owners, or put stuff up on soundcloud or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

theaaao wrote: »
    Hey guys hope someone can help me with this...

I had VDJ and the hercules DJ control steel and was messing around with them.
    But what I'm really interested in getting into is music production. So I was advised to get the Alesis iO2 audio interface to connect my keyboard to my laptop and Cubase LE came free with it.
    I was also under the immpression that the iO2 could be used as an external soundcard for the DJ control steel as it doesnt have one built in.
    So I was trying to kill two birds with the one stone by using the iO2 as a soundcard and to connect my keyboard to the laptop.
    However I'v been at it for hours and I cant seem to get deck A out of my speakers and Deck b cued in my headphones!!

Is it possible with the iO2? There is no headphone jack on the dj controller or any outputs, just the usb connection to the computer.
    Thanks in advance!
    The iO2 has two inputs, not two outputs. Its gonna be no use to you.

Okay seeing as the io2 is of no use to me in this situation, any suggestions?
    What about a numark dj io, or a behringer U control 202?
    Basically I need something that will be cheap and suited to my needs. BTW, if anyone has any second hand soundcards, reasonably priced, send me a link.
    Thanks guys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Renter

Yo,

I bought a pair of Technics recently and I'm just wondering if anyone have any suggestion or advice as to what monitors/speakers to buy? I'm somewhat clueless about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

If you're only beginning you should probably just hook the mixer up to a hi-fi to begin with.

If you have your heart set on monitors, have a look at KRK's. They're cheap and pack a nice punch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Cianh

Whats the advantage of getting the monitors for bedroom use? i've always used the hi-fi, sound quality aside obviously. If I start getting better Gear etc will they blow the bollix out of the hi fi?

Hi-Fi's are grand for bedroom use. Sound quality depends on the Hi-Fi but if you really turn them up you'll blow the speakers.

If you're having a house party and want the place rocking, you're better off with a set of powered monitors / amp.

Clanket wrote: »
    Hi-Fi's are grand for bedroom use. Sound quality depends on the Hi-Fi but if you really turn them up you'll blow the speakers.

If you're having a house party and want the place rocking, you're better off with a set of powered monitors / amp.

Cheers, my mates hate dance music so there'll be no parties i'm afraid, i'll stick with the hi fi till I have the rest of the gear gotten first, I'd still defo upgrade for better sound quality eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Renter

Sorry, as I said I'm pretty clueless. Can you guys recommend a good hi-fi?

Cianh wrote: »
    Cheers, my mates hate dance music so there'll be no parties i'm afraid, i'll stick with the hi fi till I have the rest of the gear gotten first, I'd still defo upgrade for better sound quality eventually.

They all hipsters?

• Advertisement

Renter wrote: »
    Sorry, as I said I'm pretty clueless. Can you guys recommend a good hi-fi?

Do you have a mixer?

All you need is a hi-fi with an aux in (red and white) and a mixer. Then get the cable that connects the 2, Mixer out to aux in. You then turn the Hi-Fi to the aux channel (i.e. Radio/CD/Aux) and it will play any signal being passed to it from the mixer through the cable.

I've not looked at Hi-Fi's in a long time so go down to Power City and have a look around. They've been improving leaps and bounds over the last 10 years so I'm sure there's hundreds of them.

You're not after amazing sound quality if you're just starting out so don't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hi Oldie here used to DJ in the 80's is there a software programme for mixing my itunes songs. do you still have to count the BPM or is done for you now.

Many thanks in advance

They all hipsters?

I've seen a lot of people on here giving out about the hipsters... are they the young lads that look like a bit hillbilly's? skinny jeans, check shirt with t shirt under, in your face runners, maybe a hat too, and a half arsed attempt at a mustache?

Anyway no they're not, just into rock/indie or not into music at all. One of them actually purchased take thats new album...we're talking about a ****ing grown man here!!!

Cianh wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people on here giving out about the hipsters... are they the young lads that look like a bit hillbilly's? skinny jeans, check shirt with t shirt under, in your face runners, maybe a hat too, and a half arsed attempt at a mustache?

Anyway no they're not, just into rock/indie or not into music at all. One of them actually purchased take thats new album...we're talking about a ****ing grown man here!!!

Yep that's them. AKA Shít clowns

www.sh_itclown.com (remove the underscore - damn language filters)

You gotta love Take That :)

Hootanany wrote: »
    Hi Oldie here used to DJ in the 80's is there a software programme for mixing my itunes songs. do you still have to count the BPM or is done for you now.

Many thanks in advance

Don't know to be honest. There's a few mixing programs but don't know if they give you the BPM. I'll leave for someone else

Don't know to be honest. There's a few mixing programs but don't know if they give you the BPM. I'll leave for someone else

Thanks what programmes

Yep that's them. AKA Shít clowns

www.sh_itclown.com (remove the underscore - damn language filters)

You gotta love Take That :)

Ha Ha,this lad is not far off what i was describing

s.hitclown.jpgImage wont work with the filter remove the dots

Thanks what programmes

I've one at home. Can't remember what it's called. Do a quick google and you'll be off

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks what programmes

Lots...
    Some notable DJ Software:
    Ableton Live
    Deckadance
    djay (software)
    DJ Mixer (Software) for iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone by Musicsoft Arts LLC
    DJ Music Mixer by Program4Pc Inc.
    DSS DJ by MyXOFT
    FL Studio, formerly known as FruityLoops
    MegaSeg
    Mixmeister
    Mixxx
    OtsAV by Ots Labs
    PCDJ, also distributed as DJ Decks
    Scratch Live
    Torq (Software) by M-Audio
    Touch DJ for iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone by Amidio Inc.
    Traktor
    UltraMixer
    Virtual DJ (VDJ), also distributed as Numark CUE
    Visual Discomix, also known as VisualDiscoMix (VDMX)
    Note: Some of these softwares are not commonly used for live performances, but are used as digital audio workstations (DAW) for the modification/creation of audio files to help mix, edit, and sample audio for live performances. Namely, FL Studio and Ableton Live.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Software

Any free ones or trial ones Found one thanks to all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm thinking of DJ'ing and I want your advice on something, guys.

I love electronic music, really gotten into it about 3 years ago and have built up a large collection. Thing is, I have no real interest in techno/house. My electronic stuff is all stuff like Aphex Twin, Burial, Four Tet, Flying Lotus, dub/dubstep stuff (no brostep please). I feel I could bring something original to venues that other DJ's may have not done in my area. I'm just worried though that unless I'm blasting hardcore four-to-the-floor beats or popular tunes, people aren't going to like it at all. I guess what I'm saying is, if I go into DJ'ing, will I be doing it to my own tastes or will I be simply providing what the crowds want, or will I be able to meet a halfway point where I don't have to play the Top 20, play stuff I enjoy that's danceable, and do well with myself? Hope someone understands what I'm about. Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm thinking of DJ'ing and I want your advice on something, guys.

I love electronic music, really gotten into it about 3 years ago and have built up a large collection. Thing is, I have no real interest in techno/house. My electronic stuff is all stuff like Aphex Twin, Burial, Four Tet, Flying Lotus, dub/dubstep stuff (no brostep please). I feel I could bring something original to venues that other DJ's may have not done in my area. I'm just worried though that unless I'm blasting hardcore four-to-the-floor beats or popular tunes, people aren't going to like it at all. I guess what I'm saying is, if I go into DJ'ing, will I be doing it to my own tastes or will I be simply providing what the crowds want, or will I be able to meet a halfway point where I don't have to play the Top 20, play stuff I enjoy that's danceable, and do well with myself? Hope someone understands what I'm about. Thanks for reading.

No idea what people are like in Portlaoise, but in Dublin there are loads of places you could play that stuff. It depends if there's anyone around you who also listens to that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well, judging by the local clubs, there seems to be a general consensus on either chart music, trance or hardcore, which is by no means bad if you're into that sort of thing, but I'm looking for something different. Maybe I should start practicing and trying out Internet shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Just got a loan hercules dj console mk2 last night with Traktor and Virtual DJ on a macbook. I have to say it's some laugh. One question I have though, the controller is pre-mapped with virtual dj, so you just plug and play away. While I haven't tried using Traktor, I'm assuming I'll have to do my own mapping ya? Also, is there any advantage to using Traktor from the start, or is it grand to just use the simple intuitive vdj? EDIT - nevermind, it works beautifully well with traktor! :P

Also, I'm hearing loads of conflicting methods from different dj friends on how they mix. I'm at the lowest starting point right now (about 2 hours in :P ), so I'm still having fun messing about with eq's in the middle of a song, and realistically mixing is what I'm spending my time learning. I know there's no best way, but what's the conventional way? Some of my friends say don't use the cross-fader, as it's really only for scratching, some say bring in the second using the equalisers, the others say just use the volume levels on each deck. It's a tad overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Completely new here, so I'm a fan of a lot of the house thats popular at the moment. A friend of mine got into production a while back and he has produced some nice stuff. So a few days ago I decided I'd like to have a go at it myself for a bit of fun. I downloaded fl studio 10 and I've been fiddling around with it for a while trying to get the hang of it. TBH its quite overwhelming for someone as new to production as me. I've had a look at a few tutorials and I've learnt from each one but its not easy. So basically I'm looking for advice, what did you do when you started off? How did you get on? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

Hi folks,

I love my music and have recently decided to bite the bullet and try my hand at dj'ing the only problem is i havent a clue as to how it works.
    i see a lot of guys in nite clubs using lap tops? but most serious guys seem to use equiptment. i think it is really interesting and would like to do it as a hobby more so than anything else, it would also be nice to be able to dj if a mate was having a party or something like that. any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

have a read through this thread to get yourself started http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056200471

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

ianuss wrote: »
    have a read through this thread to get yourself started http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056200471

cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

No worries. If you've any other questions just post them in that thread. There's loads of people on here using the various types of equipment.

• Advertisement

I'm having a problem with the beat loop on my cdj's. Its working fine from the point of view that i press beat loop /loop divide and it gives me a four beat loop.

The problem is when i'm mixing I get the beats matched perfectly and the next tune is ready to go; but if I want to use a loop in the mix to make it last longer the loop bpm is slightly off and it causes a train wreck mix.

I don't think cueing the next tune up in the bpm of the loop would work either because when i'd press exit the original tunes bpm would be off.

The tunes have been analyzed by rekordbox too so the bpm reading should be pretty accurate to begin with.

Cheers for any help
    Cian

Advertisement