Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

April 2011 is the completion date for the tender stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Diggers have moved in this week, so that's a positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Diggers have moved in this week, so that's a positive!

Will the grand opening ceremony take place next Wednesday afternoon?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zacchaeus

Surely the following is alarm for concern.

News today annouces that construction commences on the much needed tralee by-pass at cost of €97m.

http://www.thejournal.ie/construction-to-begin-on-new-e97m-tralee-bypass-193194-Aug2011/

Incidently contract signed by Bam, Contractors carrying out the work totals the grand sum of €31m.

http://www.bamcontractors.ie/live/news_details.asp?id=94

Granted CPOs and professional fees but can they possibly accumulate to €66m?.. Concerned taxpayer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

zacchaeus wrote: »

News today annouces that construction commences on the much needed tralee by-pass at cost of €97m.

http://www.thejournal.ie/construction-to-begin-on-new-e97m-tralee-bypass-193194-Aug2011/

Incidently contract signed by Bam, Contractors carrying out the work totals the grand sum of €31m.

Granted CPOs and professional fees but can they possibly accumulate to €66m?.. Concerned taxpayer!!

What part of Tralee bypass did work start on first?

• Advertisement

zacchaeus wrote: »

construction on tralee bypass is now underway why is there nothing on bam website about tralee bypass?

Is it not a bit of a white elephant?

Is there that much commercial traffic moving from Killorglin to Listowel every day? I don't want to be dismissive, but would have thought that the real problem in terms of traffic and Kerry and opening up the county is not in the county at all, it is the bottleneck that is Macroom on the main route into the county, and the mess that is Ballyvourney under roadworks. I appreciate that is outside the KCC remit, but it would seem more pressing to me.

Is there that much commercial traffic moving from Killorglin to Listowel every day? I don't want to be dismissive, but would have thought that the real problem in terms of traffic and Kerry and opening up the county is not in the county at all, it is the bottleneck that is Macroom on the main route into the county, and the mess that is Ballyvourney under roadworks. I appreciate that is outside the KCC remit, but it would seem more pressing to me.

Hopely some photos of the tralee bypass under construction will be got soon

Hopely some photos of the tralee bypass under construction will be got soon

the boards on the tralee bypass says (construction immint) wouldnt that want to be changed to (under construction) now because the tralee bypass is under construction?

Seeing as we have had the N21 Castleisland bypass thread i reckon its about time we had one on the Tralee bypass

clip_image001.jpg

I went out yesterday and took a few shots of the road now that its fenced off and the archaeological surveys have started.

This is where the roundabout will be on the N22 just outside Tralee,photo is taken outside the Ballygarry House Hotel on the opposite side of the road looking towards Tralee. Roundabout will be approx where the cars are on the road.
    68036_452232012697_605292697_5181462_8312135_n.jpg

This was taken from across the road from the Ballygarry looking towards Tralee,with archaeological clearing visible.
    69052_452238507697_605292697_5181523_1663751_n.jpg

This shot is taken from where the roundabout will be on the N22,looking towards the N69.
    69416_452249442697_605292697_5181690_4397288_n.jpg

This picture is from the old N22(Mile height) just beside the Ballygarry House Hotel,which is just to the leftt but out of shot. View is looking towards the N70.
    72188_452242812697_605292697_5181564_2891355_n.jpg

This shot is taken in Ballynabreanagh,about two miles up the road up past the college,shot is looking towards the N69. I suppose there will be a flyover/bridge here over this road.
    71809_452235172697_605292697_5181501_2195299_n.jpg

This pic is on the opposite side of the road to the above pic looking down towards the upper Ballybeggan road and over towards the N70. Ballybeggan road is visible at the base of the pole.
    37930_452235552697_605292697_5181504_7704154_n.jpg

These two shots were taken from upper Ballybeggan looking up towards where the last pic was taken from.
    64946_452235942697_605292697_5181509_7068148_n.jpg

68057_452236592697_605292697_5181513_6024507_n.jpg

This is where the road will meet the N69 just below Leith west cross in Lismore on the Tralee side. I guess there will be a roundabout here also.
    69352_452241137697_605292697_5181551_964521_n.jpg

66992_452243097697_605292697_5181565_4691651_n.jpg

I didnt have time to get pictures of where the road will cross Ballinorig or where it will meet the N70,but i will try to in the next few days.

would any one be able to get pictures of the tralee bypass under construction?

• Advertisement

would any one be able to get pictures of the tralee bypass under construction?

I will do, I'll take shots from the same angles as above as construction progresses. that's why i started this thread in the first place. Theta not much happening yet though.

I will do, I'll take shots from the same angles as above as construction progresses. that's why i started this thread in the first place. Theta not much happening yet though.

How much work has been done so far?

They have started clearing the field on the Listowel road side, just passed there now.

They have started clearing the field on the Listowel road side, just passed there now.

How many diggers have they brought in so far?

Which part of the route will be dual carrige way and which part will be single carrige way?

Which part of the route will be dual carrige way and which part will be single carrige way?

I dont know about the diggers, but AFAIK the dual carriageway will be from the Listowel road to the Killarney road

I dont know about the diggers, but AFAIK the dual carriageway will be from the Listowel road to the Killarney road

I must go down there to have a look at it some day this week

They have started on the listowel road part of it havent they? why is there nothing on Bam website about the tralee bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

There is definitely a need for a ring-road around Tralee. On a school morning it can take up to 25 minutes to get from the oakpark road to the other side of town which is ridiculous given the size of the town. One thing I cannot understand is why they did not attempt to join the bypass to the 'Fat Mile'. On a busy day it can take forever for a car to get from the Caherslee side of town over to the castleisland/Killarney road.

As for the Cork road, I couldn't agree more - something drastically needs to be done to the Ballyvourney/Gaeltacht/Macroom section. Its a disgrace having a primary route in that sort of condition but as you said it does not fall under the remit of the KCC. Also obviously the budget for that sort of a project would be exponentially larger than the Tralee bypass.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    There is definitely a need for a ring-road around Tralee. On a school morning it can take up to 25 minutes to get from the oakpark road to the other side of town which is ridiculous given the size of the town. One thing I cannot understand is why they did not attempt to join the bypass to the 'Fat Mile'. On a busy day it can take forever for a car to get from the Caherslee side of town over to the castleisland/Killarney road.

As for the Cork road, I couldn't agree more - something drastically needs to be done to the Ballyvourney/Gaeltacht/Macroom section. Its a disgrace having a primary route in that sort of condition but as you said it does not fall under the remit of the KCC. Also obviously the budget for that sort of a project would be exponentially larger than the Tralee bypass.

The Tralee bypass will be a very handy road once complete. Its handy that construction is well underway

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

That would be more difficult than you might imagine. There are houses in the way on each side. The alignment would have to avoid all of this, so it would be expensive. There are plans to do it eventually, but not now as it would be expensive given that it must go a long way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

The new Killarney road will be S2. The bypass itself (N69-N21-new N22-N70) will be 2+2 (Dual carriageway), as far as I can gather. The safety report stated that constantly changing road types would be too dangerous.

• Advertisement

Adro947 wrote: »
    That would be more difficult than you might imagine. There are houses in the way on each side. The alignment would have to avoid all of this, so it would be expensive. There are plans to do it eventually, but not now as it would be expensive given that it must go a long way around.

Good point. Its a pity though because there are 4 schools on that side of town - Mounthawk, St. Josephs, Balloonagh and Holy Family and it causes carnage for anyone coming from the Fenit/Ardfert road and the Abbeydorney road who are trying to get through town.

Good point. Its a pity though because there are 4 schools on that side of town - Mounthawk, St. Josephs, Balloonagh and Holy Family and it causes carnage for anyone coming from the Fenit/Ardfert road and the Abbeydorney road who are trying to get through town.[/Q

I passed it today there is a bit of work done near the listowel road end. there is only 2 diggers alltogether on the route. I can tget it why there is nothing on Bam website about it. And thre National Road Authhoirty says construction will commence july-august 2011 shouldnt that be changed to construction commenced in august 2011

Adro947 wrote: »
    The new Killarney road will be S2. The bypass itself (N69-N21-new N22-N70) will be 2+2 (Dual carriageway), as far as I can gather. The safety report stated that constantly changing road types would be too dangerous.

has the weather deylayed them a bit?

Couple of diggers and small dumpers on the field where it will cross the ballybreanagh road tonight also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I read there is going to be a cycle lane on the new road as well. Let's hope the clown who designed the cycle lane/path on the "Fat mile" doesn't get near it. It's crazy paving/matcrete & would shake you to bits if you cycled on it. No good for parents pushing prams either & I often see joggers running on the road as the surface is not suitable. The clown who designed it must never have cycled a bike or pushed a pram !!

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    The clown who designed it must never have cycled a bike or pushed a pram !!

T.

Hardly surprising with any government thing!

Couple of diggers and small dumpers on the field where it will cross the ballybreanagh road tonight also.

Are they working on The bypass this week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

TigerTim wrote: »
    I read there is going to be a cycle lane on the new road as well. Let's hope the clown who designed the cycle lane/path on the "Fat mile" doesn't get near it. It's crazy paving/matcrete & would shake you to bits if you cycled on it. No good for parents pushing prams either & I often see joggers running on the road as the surface is not suitable. The clown who designed it must never have cycled a bike or pushed a pram !!

T.

At the time of the oral hearing, concern was expressed about a lack of hard shoulders in the design and the negative implications for cyclists.

As I understand it there is to be some kind of off-road track parallel to the road. Wether it will be considered remotely usable is different story.

At the time of the oral hearing, concern was expressed about a lack of hard shoulders in the design and the negative implications for cyclists.

As I understand it there is to be some kind of off-road track parallel to the road. Wether it will be considered remotely usable is different story.

There is a digger on the route from the listowel road didnt see any men there though

• Advertisement

There is a digger on the route from the listowel road didnt see any men there though

Most of the work seems to be happening on the Ballygarry side where the site office is. Are you worried that they are slacking off Stevie? :D

Advertisement