Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tramore Races - Fatalities.

• 16-08-2011 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Just out of curiosity how many horses were killed
    over the four days at Tramore? I saw one race in
    a bookmakers where three horses got in to difficulty
    turning the corner away from the stands. I was also
    told that three were killed on Sunday. I watched a few
    of the races on ATR & the turn on the far right
    seemed to be quite dangerous for all concerned.

Watching the news today the BHA have announced
    that the Grand National will be made safer for the
    horses after a few were killed this year. Personally
    I feel being the race that it is there will always be fatalities!

My point is if the BHA can make changes to probably
    the most famous horse race surely the management
    at Tramore can make changes to the course to try
    to prevent scenes that were relayed before spectators
    this weekend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

i'm not into racing, but i never imagined there was this much carnage involved, its shocking. Is it normally like this or was this just by chance a very unfortunate weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Tramore would not be the safest track on the planet but in

all sports there are accidents & unfortunately, fatalities!

This was probably a bad weekend in terms of deaths of horses

at Tramore but the course has been the same since

I was a child going out there with my Dad. Nothing major has

been done to safeguard horse or jockey on these bends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Tramore should be shut down. It's a death trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Free willie

Just out of curiosity how many horses were killed
    over the four days at Tramore? I saw one race in
    a bookmakers where three horses got in to difficulty
    turning the corner away from the stands. I was also
    told that three were killed on Sunday. I watched a few
    of the races on ATR & the turn on the far right
    seemed to be quite dangerous for all concerned.

Watching the news today the BHA have announced
    that the Grand National will be made safer for the
    horses after a few were killed this year. Personally
    I feel being the race that it is there will always be fatalities!

My point is if the BHA can make changes to probably
    the most famous horse race surely the management
    at Tramore can make changes to the course to try
    to prevent scenes that were relayed before spectators
    this weekend.
    Tramore race course has always been a liability as far as racing is concerned , hense you never see the better class of horse racing there . The ground gets very dry in the summer and they overcompensate by watering it frantically just before racing which makes it an extremely greasy surface . If they water 4/5 days in advance of the meeting you would get a lot safer conditions .
    It's unacceptable in this day and age to be losing horses on a continues bases either through fatality or breaking down (the ones we don't hear about ) and the management at the course should now be held accountable for such issues .

i'm not into racing, but i never imagined there was this much carnage involved, its shocking. Is it normally like this or was this just by chance a very unfortunate weekend?

Always horses slipping up there . Complete death trap . A lot of the better jockies won't go down there . Never saw fallon murtagh , manning down there . Good horses are a rarity down there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

How many deaths have occurred there over the years?

The Tramore Racecourse is being re-located by the way. I think they should have moved by now but there were problems delaying the move due to the recession, and possibly some other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Always horses slipping up there . Complete death trap . A lot of the better jockies won't go down there . Never saw fallon murtagh , manning down there . Good horses are a rarity down there .

Whatever about dangers, the reason top class jocks and horses don't go to Tramore is because its low grade track for low grade races with small/smallish pots.

They have been talking about moving the track for years, given the reduction in funding for racing I don't it see leaving that hill side for some years.

mike65 wrote: »

Whatever about dangers, the reason top class jocks and horses don't go to Tramore is because its low grade track for low grade races with small/smallish pots.

They have been talking about moving the track for years, given the reduction in funding for racing I don't it see leaving that hill side for some years.

Prize money as good there as Limerick , Sligo , Roscommon Ect . Nothing to do with the size of the pot , they just don't fancy the risk of getting broke up . Your right about them being stuck there for a long time yet .

Fallon raced there earlier in his career!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Turf Club to review Tramore Racecrourse
    The Turf Club is to investigate the high number of horses injured and subsequentlyput-down during last Sunday's all-jumps card at Tramore Racecourse.According to this week's Racing Post, the group will carry out a full review of the events during which four horses were injured, to see what happened and ifanything can be done to reduce the risk of such an incident happening again.Ken Whelan, one of the most experienced jockeys on the racing circuit, has come out in defence of the Tramore Racecourse.He believes it was down to the poor weather, rather than any problems with the course.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-sport/95577.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JWinchester

Tramore Race Track should be closed until they sort out the bend that cause such carnage like it did last weekend. My thoughts to the owners of Mr Bones ( friends of mine) who were distraught after having to put him down after he broke his hind leg on this bend. Ground simply give way and was wholly unsafe.

The worse thing is they continued to race and in the next race another horse pulled up at the same bend. Its probably a goner too. I heard of other horses getting put down for incidents at the same bend.

Its completely insane that the powers at be dont issue a closure notice on this course until this track gets sorted. Disgrace and those who promote racing on this track should bow there heads in shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JWinchester

In response to this message. There are plenty of brainless Jockeys out there who simply would ride anything and anywhere for a fee. Ken Whelan must be one of these brainless crew because if he thought that track was safe, then he is game for anything and should stop trying to make excuses for a disgraceful unsafe track

Tramore Race Track should be closed until they sort out the bend that cause such carnage like it did last weekend. My thoughts to the owners of Mr Bones ( friends of mine) who were distraught after having to put him down after he broke his hind leg on this bend. Ground simply give way and was wholly unsafe.

The worse thing is they continued to race and in the next race another horse pulled up at the same bend. Its probably a goner too. I heard of other horses getting put down for incidents at the same bend.

Its completely insane that the powers at be dont issue a closure notice on this course until this track gets sorted. Disgrace and those who promote racing on this track should bow there heads in shame
    Freaking death trap .

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Can anyone get the number of horses lost at tramore over the last 10years im sure its 20+,not a meeting goes by without at least 1 lost & this is the 1st time its ever been mentioned in the racing post?? You cant blame trainers for not bringing there good horses to tramore its not worth the risk..I hope they get the funds to put the new track together its such a waste to have it as a schooling ground and not push on get it done resession or not..To not put an all weather track there was madness with only dundalk to compete with it could of been a a huge pull to the bigger trainers like the bolgers the obriens with there good horses..

lester76 wrote: »
    Can anyone get the number of horses lost at tramore over the last 10years im sure its 20+,not a meeting goes by without at least 1 lost & this is the 1st time its ever been mentioned in the racing post?? You cant blame trainers for not bringing there good horses to tramore its not worth the risk..I hope they get the funds to put the new track together its such a waste to have it as a schooling ground and not push on get it done resession or not..To not put an all weather track there was madness with only dundalk to compete with it could of been a a huge pull to the bigger trainers like the bolgers the obriens with there good horses..

Let's skip the bull**** . If it happened anywhere else in the world ( the ongoing fatalities ) we would be up on arms . The aintree grand national is the most gruelling race in the world but the appreciation of the jumps racing most cuviciest prize makes the reward worth the risk , if they had anything like the fatalities that tramore have we would not have anyjumps racing in the uk whatsoever . There are horses breaking down on the flat let alone jumping a hurdle / fence but because it lonely old tramore and god knows they need the few bucks to keep going , there's s blind eye turned . Not good enough . Every one associated with Irish racing are guilty of turning a blind eye .
    How much would you hVe to pay Aidan o brien to take a horse to tramore . A lot I'd say . He gas the upmost respect and care for his string and id bet a pound to a penny u won't see any of his flapping around ther anytime soon . Grow a back bone the Irish racing fraternity and admit it is not good enough .
    I love to see the small guy do well but not this joke shop .
    Headn for the hay
    Johnny Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Here are some results from a turf club investigation. They don't really consider the course to be to blame.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2011/0908/1224303746801.html

If I'm not mistaken six horses were killed over all at the Tramore festival.

As for the findings, I feel responsibility should be laid at the door

of the management of Tramore racecourse. Surely they know the

conditions of the course prior to the start of racing & any changes that

need to be made prior to the 'Off' should have been made well in advance!

Looking out for each other in my view!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brickvan

the slaughter continues at tramore, 4 destroyed on the course on friday & 1 more later on when they brought it back to the yard, on friday 1st june 2012

Advertisement