Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Crowe: Marathon Man

• 03-08-2011 10:09am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see from the Advo's Facebook page that our intrepid Councillors have hamstrung the proposed marathon in September. The Marathon organisers have reserved particular ire for tree-loving Michael Crowe.

I wish to congratulate our fine representatives on scuppering this and look forward to any further plans they have to take more money out of the city.
    The Galway City Marathon regrets to advise participants that the Marathon, Half-Marathon and Mini-Marathon races scheduled for 28 August this year are cancelled. We will
    1. Refund all entry fees to participants, and
    2. Transport all overseas registered athletes, who wish to take part in an alternative marathon in Ireland on the same date, to that location from Galway City.
    Details on refunds and the alternative race will follow this week.
    In brief, we are forced to cancel the marathon at this late stage, mindful of the disruption to participants’ travel plans, because our undertaking has effectively been targeted by Galway City representatives, who, rather than facilitate the Galway City Marathon, have acted to undermine and obstruct us.
    Major race events require forward planning by organisers who bring many elements to a race including course design and marketing among other factors. To this end, over one year ago we agreed the dates for the races with Galway City Council officials. Further, we confirmed these dates in February of this year.
    The Galway City Marathon organisers changed the start/finish location from Galway Harbour as part of an overall route change, in line with our previous experience of Galway’s inherent traffic problems, which impacted the Marathon during the second circuit in the 2010 event. Rather than two circuits for the Marathon, the new route was to operate on a single circuit with a short, rolling road closure in order to minimise traffic disruption. We arranged for Sword Security experts to marshal the 2011 route.
    Despite our previous confirmation of dates, on 8 April we were informed without explanation by a transportation engineer acting on behalf of the Council that "the dates...together with the revised start/finish locations in 2011 cannot be accommodated by the City Council." The same engineer subsequently informed us that "Ironman is effectively taking over Salthill during the week after your event, and this is why your date, together with the start/finish locations, are a problem." This point was reiterated by a senior City official who stated that "the real problem is the Ironman…." (Note: Ironman 70.3 Galway is a half Ironman distance triathlon operating in Galway on 4 September 2011 and does not conflict with our agreed dates; moreover the Council has been inundated with traffic disruption complaints about the Ironman race).
    However, the Galway City Marathon organisers viewed these issues as resolved after a meeting on 5 May 2011, in which the Director of Services reconfirmed the date and courses as being available.
    Yet, despite ongoing monetary and time-intensive investment by the Galway City Marathon organisers in the event, the then City Mayor and Ironman supporter Michael Crowe had the following inserted on a written agenda of motions for a meeting of Galway City Council on 16 May:
    'That this Council examine the option of taking over the responsibility of organising, operating and running of a marathon in Galway City".
    Mayor Crowe, in response to a subsequent email from the Galway City Marathon organisers wrote:
    "Galway City Council should begin to take control of events such as this....and reap at least some of the financial rewards".
    Mayor Crowe also told a journalist from a local newspaper that the event would not be going ahead.
    (At this juncture we note that the Ironman is owned and operated by an overseas business with all entry fees going to those organisers and not to the City. It also receives substantial funding from the City Council.)
    The former Mayor Crowe’s actions raise many questions, not the least of which is whether he views himself as an agent for City business and that his Office or the City has the right to take the intellectual property rights of another entity, and / or delegate the Galway City Marathon to interests favoured by him.
    Subsequent to these developments, the City Council raised operating costs and limited the Marathon’s course options in a manner not applied to other road events. Finally, in the past week we were forced to the realisation that we could never accept an option that effectively consigned the race to footpaths or on a highly restricted circuit, as envisioned by the Council. Whether capricious or ill-conceived, these options if implemented would have resulted in an unsatisfactory if not hazardous experience for our competitors. We cannot and will not allow that to happen.
    Noteworthy also may be the fact that the City Council has given no financial support to the Galway City Marathon, and all event proceeds last year were given to charity or to local business in operating costs. In terms of impact, the event resulted in the fastest road mile in Ireland in 2010, the second fastest marathon time (next to Dublin), and the third fastest time in the world at 50km. Prizes of trips to the Antarctic and Chicago Marathons were awarded along with over €10,000 in prize money. This year's event would have seen over 2,000 athletes take part, with subsequent influx of monies into City businesses.
    We conclude therefore that the following may explain the above series of events:
    1) Galway City Council acted in an arbitrary and capricious fashion relative to its dealings with the organisers of the Galway City Marathon, indicating a collective lack of business acumen on their part together with an apparent reckless indifference to the logistics of organising such an event; or
    2) Galway City Council, in confirming and agreeing the Marathon race date with the organisers, was not acting in good faith, consistent with Mayor Crowe’s email to us that the Council should “begin to take control of events such as this ... and reap at least some of the financial rewards”.
    Against this backdrop, the Galway City Marathon organisers apologise to all entrants for the enforced cancellation of the event. For the record, we do not believe that this outcome is the fault of the Ironman organisers, and wish them success.
    In conclusion—and to establish our proven credentials in race planning—recently the Galway City Marathon organisers planned, funded and hosted the Trail World Championships in Connemara (9 July 2011), an event heralded as a "resounding success" by the IAU (the Ultra-Running wing of the IAAF). The organisers were given an Order of Merit by the international athletics body for an "outstanding job" in dealing with extremely difficult logistics. More importantly, this event will be broadcast to over 100 million households globally, thereby showcasing County Galway in a uniquely positive light. The first date of broadcast is 28 August 2011 on Channel 4: the date of the now cancelled Galway City Marathon.

http://www.galwaycitymarathon.com/news/16/77/Cancellation-of-2011-Galway-City-Marathon.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yeah read it lastnight on GA Facebook page, absolute jokeshop, typical Crowe, trying to get his greasy paws on money that he aint entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Everyone attending will be spending money, there might even be a few hundred hotel rooms sold

Money for the city and free positive advertising too
    A shame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If that's all correct, and I don't doubt that it is, then it is a disgraceful way to treat an organisation attempting to bring people into the city.

Unfortunately it is typical of the corporations treatment of people.

It's a shame that the city officials aren't named.

Have any of the other councillors made any comments?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm sure the organisers have spent significant sums of money on planning, marketing, security, etc. based on assurances from Galway City Council that road closures would be facilitated. I wouldn't be surprised if they sued GCC for loss of earnings and won the case. Eyre Square all over again.
    As for Michael Crowe, the man is an embarrassment to have representing voters here. A marathon would bring serious money into the city, to many businesses including hotels, restaurants, etc. Why should GCC be entitled to any of the profits - they should be facilitating an event which would bring a lot of money into the city.

A friend of mine is doing the Ironman - he's travelling over from Holland with his wife for 4 days, so that's 4 days accommodation, food, buying petrol, drinks, etc in Galway. Some of his family are coming down for the weekend to support him, as are a few mates from Dublin, thats more bednights and money spent in restaurants and pubs. Probably about €2-3,000 that will be spent in Galway for one competitor in an event, not to mention flights and car hire that will be spent in the country.

All that inward investment will be lost from the marathon weekend because of this shortsighted decision. Well done Mr. Crowe, well done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just caught a bit of sparring there on the wireless between Crowe and Donovan..
    There is zero accountability in the City Council for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

snubbleste wrote: »
    Just caught a bit of sparring there on the wireless between Crowe and Donovan..
    There is zero accountability in the City Council for anything.

it really really smells, gombeen politicans are our speciality in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Fey! wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is typical of the corporations treatment of people.

It's a shame that the city officials aren't named.

Agree 100% - a little digging on Galway City Council's website should get the required info. Might have to guess the Engineers name (there are only a handful of them in the GTU(Galway Transportation Unit) ) but the Director of Services for Transport is on the Website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm sure the organisers have spent significant sums of money on planning, marketing, security, etc. based on assurances from Galway City Council that road closures would be facilitated. I wouldn't be surprised if they sued GCC for loss of earnings and won the case. Eyre Square all over again.

Leaving Crowe aside for a minute,

I would like to hear the other side of this story. To me it sounds like there is more to the story than the marathon company are saying. Could the main reason the council are saying no be related to the change of route(which seems to be happening late in the day) but the marathon company are trying to blame the council when it is their fault for the late request.
    "the dates...together with the revised start/finish locations in 2011 cannot be accommodated by the City Council."

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I did the half marathon part of it(one lap of the course) last year and there was alot of issues with traffic etc.Long traffic tailbacks as the runners made their way through junctions,kids acting as stewards and so motorists ignoring them and driving straight through "closed" sections of roads and nearly knocking down several of the runners ahead of me.The organisers did acknowledge that there were some traffic issues after it and had made course changes etc for this years race.Galway is'nt exactly ideally set up to host a marathon but other cities in Ireland,Dublin,Belfast and Cork have shown that with proper plans in place a very successfull event can be held that brings in people and money to the city.
    What was said between Crowe and Donovan on the radio this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

Number of things:
    1. this was not the ironman - thats already sorted re planning etc
    2. This failed due to the poor traffic management plans, as Aiel said last yr was a disaster. The organisers are supposed to be professional sports planners but their traffic mgt plan was 1 page, Ironman was a full document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The plot thickens...

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/030811_03.html
    Statement from Mr Ciarán Hayes, Director of Services, Galway City Council regarding the cancellation of Galway City Marathon
    03 August 2011

"The organisers of the Galway City Marathon, Half-Marathon and Mini-Marathon have cancelled the event scheduled for 28th August. I was disappointed to hear this news, as I believe that such an event would be of benefit to the city as an annual event on the national athletics calendar.

Officials of the Transport & Infrastructure Department have been working with the organisers over the last year following on from the inaugural event in 2010 as we were keen to learn the lessons from that event particularly in respect of the traffic management and marshalling issues that arose.

Galway City Council engages with the organisers of a multiplicity of events ranging from the Galway Races, the Macnas Parade, cycling events, nearly-weekly charity walks and fun-runs along The Promenade in Salthill up to major international events such as the forthcoming Ironman 70.3.

At all times, Galway City Council works to ensure the safety of participants and of others in the city; that stakeholders are adequately informed of proposed disruption and that adequate Traffic Management Plans are in place to ensure that the city as a whole can continue to function while events are underway. It should also be noted that the closure of roads is a statutory obligation under the Roads Act.

While the Council has engaged intensively with the organisers of Galway City Marathon over the last number of months, it is disappointing that the organisers have not been in a position to submit an adequate Traffic Management Plan for the event. It should be noted that the Council did express its concerns about these logistical issues at the start of July and provided assistance and advice regarding the quality of information required for the Plan.

The organisers informed Galway City Council on 22nd July that they were cancelling the Marathon and Half-Marathon. We understand that they informed registered athletes yesterday (2nd August) of the cancellation of the entire event, including the Mini-Marathon.

It is unfortunate and regrettable that the organisers were unable to arrange all that was required to make the event happen this year. However, I look forward to collaborating with them in future ventures. We hope that in the future a Marathon can be organised in Galway as a welcome addition to annual menu of events in the city."

Ciarán Hayes
    Director of Services,
    Transport, Infrastructure, Recreation & Amenity

Personally I wouldn't implicitly trust the statements of a private business like Galway City Marathon any more than I'd trust the public pronouncements of the City Council.

The truth, I suppose, lies somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Here's City Council's take on it:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/030811_03.html
    Statement from Mr Ciarán Hayes, Director of Services, Galway City Council regarding the cancellation of Galway City Marathon
    03 August 2011

"The organisers of the Galway City Marathon, Half-Marathon and Mini-Marathon have cancelled the event scheduled for 28th August. I was disappointed to hear this news, as I believe that such an event would be of benefit to the city as an annual event on the national athletics calendar.

Officials of the Transport & Infrastructure Department have been working with the organisers over the last year following on from the inaugural event in 2010 as we were keen to learn the lessons from that event particularly in respect of the traffic management and marshalling issues that arose.

Galway City Council engages with the organisers of a multiplicity of events ranging from the Galway Races, the Macnas Parade, cycling events, nearly-weekly charity walks and fun-runs along The Promenade in Salthill up to major international events such as the forthcoming Ironman 70.3.

At all times, Galway City Council works to ensure the safety of participants and of others in the city; that stakeholders are adequately informed of proposed disruption and that adequate Traffic Management Plans are in place to ensure that the city as a whole can continue to function while events are underway. It should also be noted that the closure of roads is a statutory obligation under the Roads Act.

While the Council has engaged intensively with the organisers of Galway City Marathon over the last number of months, it is disappointing that the organisers have not been in a position to submit an adequate Traffic Management Plan for the event. It should be noted that the Council did express its concerns about these logistical issues at the start of July and provided assistance and advice regarding the quality of information required for the Plan.

The organisers informed Galway City Council on 22nd July that they were cancelling the Marathon and Half-Marathon. We understand that they informed registered athletes yesterday (2nd August) of the cancellation of the entire event, including the Mini-Marathon.

It is unfortunate and regrettable that the organisers were unable to arrange all that was required to make the event happen this year. However, I look forward to collaborating with them in future ventures. We hope that in the future a Marathon can be organised in Galway as a welcome addition to annual menu of events in the city."

Ciarán Hayes
    Director of Services,
    Transport, Infrastructure, Recreation & Amenity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So, both sides pointing the finger at each other, no surprises there :)
    From what I've read (here and other sources), I'm gonna have to side with GCC :eek::D

To me it seems the marathon organisers late change to the route was not good planning on their part. If there was problems last time, a new route should have been submitted from the start IMO.
    As for Mr. Crowes statement, He does himself no favours:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/42449/race-war-hits-the-wall-as-city-council-and-marathon-organisers-play-blame-game-over-cancelled-marathons

The organisers owe 4k to the City Council from last years event. As a runner of it said above, last years event wasn't close to scratch in terms of organisation. Seemingly they submitted a one page planning document - joke or what? I would guess that interest mighn't have been as good as expected (as it wasn't last year,) and the organisers were looking for a scapegoat.

Edited to add, the organisers told the corpo it wouldn't go ahead on July 22 but only told runners the other day, that's bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

From what I have read there, it seems that Galway City Marathon submitted their plans for a revised route in February. Galway City Council announced they wanted the changes in July, just weeks away from the marathon. If this is true, then GCC is to blame for not confirming the route. Laziness on their part (again if it's true). I know from running a few marathons that if the proposed revised route was on footpaths for long periods of time then it would be completely unacceptable to most runners.
    I ran the half last year, there was a lot wrong with the marathon, but the feedback seemed to have been taken on board and changes made. It's an awful pity for Galway that any event like this would be cancelled; when organised properly these things bring in a lot of people/money to the city, plus there's so many runners in Galway, a clear demand for well organised running events.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Nobody is coming out of this one well

Organisers: There were a flood of complaints on boards.ie about the organisation of this last year, poor stewarding and safety concerns; they didn't submit a Traffic Management Plan which was good enough to the Council; they cancelled it BEFORE telling the people who had entered the race. Also, reading between the lines, did they cancel because of financial reasons and then just look for an excuse to blame the Council? They only had 2,000 entrants last year and, while it had potential to grow, might not have had enough to make it viable in 2011.

Mike Crowe: Why he would want the Council, who couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery, to organise their own marathon when Galway already has a new marathon (going into its second year), organised by two world renowned brothers in the field, is totally beyound me and needs to be explained. His notion of motion to the Council is baffling.

City Council: Poor communications with the organisers, seeming lack of support when they are more in favour of IronMan, poor level of support for something that had potential to grow over the coming years. Why fund the IronMan rather than an event organised by locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

celty wrote: »
    Nobody is coming out of this one well

Organisers: There were a flood of complaints on boards.ie about the organisation of this last year, poor stewarding and safety concerns; they didn't submit a Traffic Management Plan which was good enough to the Council; they cancelled it BEFORE telling the people who had entered the race. Also, reading between the lines, did they cancel because of financial reasons and then just look for an excuse to blame the Council? They only had 2,000 entrants last year and, while it had potential to grow, might not have had enough to make it viable in 2011.

Mike Crowe: Why he would want the Council, who couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery, to organise their own marathon when Galway already has a new marathon (going into its second year), organised by two world renowned brothers in the field, is totally beyound me and needs to be explained. His notion of motion to the Council is baffling.

City Council: Poor communications with the organisers, seeming lack of support when they are more in favour of IronMan, poor level of support for something that had potential to grow over the coming years. Why fund the IronMan rather than an event organised by locals?

I heard from a few other runners who said they wouldnt be doing it again this year after what happened last year.The route planned for this year still went through a busy roundabout at Cemetary Cross and im sure many others would have been nervous about that again after what happened last year.Events like this are all about reputation and most events are judged on how they were the previous year or time they were last held.I know its a new event and so hasnt had a proper chance to gain a reputation but as i said people dont have short memories and would have remembered last year.So im fairly certain numbers were down for this year.
    Streets of Galway on this weekend in Galway,i know its only 8km so alot easier to organise but they still have it organised so well every year.Ive often thought of a potential route for a marathon in Galway City.I think one huge lap would be better then 2 laps of a smaller course so when the last person goes through that road would be opened again rather then waiting for people to come back around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I think the running calender is to full for a Galway city marathon. We already have a world class and renowned marathon in the connamarathon. keep the city races a good size as in the streets of galway and galway bay 1/2. I did the city 1/2 last year and i was surprised they even tryed to run the evet in 2011. Personal i think they didn't have the numbers and pulled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Micheal Crowe

Of course the city council is at fault. The Galway City Marathon would of being asked to submit a traffic management plan. Which would have consisted of a method statement & risk assessment in order to process the permit? If Galway City Marathon got refused they would receive comments, the Galway City Marathon would then, go through the whole review again. (So i guess Galway City Council proposed a new route with the comments)

But some little publican wanted to become an event organiser himself in order to fill his own pockets. Any organisation that is run by the public service in Ireland is run at a loss because they are incompetent & not efficient.

This event will promote Galway. Here is what Runners World Magazine had to say about the marathon last year.
    With a laid-back bohemian vibe, and an utterly unmatchable atmosphere, this urban beauty in the west of Ireland will charm you…. Dublin won’t like it and nor will Cork, but Galway could surpass them both as the home of Ireland’s destination marathon…While the running was good, it was the pre-and post-race atmosphere that will stick in the memory…. In Galway they don’t need much of an excuse to throw a party. The challenge is to wait until after you’ve run the marathon.
    Runner’s World Magazine UK, November 2010 edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Micheal Crowe

Of course the city council is at fault. The Galway City Marathon would of being asked to submit a traffic management plan. Which would have consisted of a method statement & risk assessment in order to process the permit? If Galway City Marathon got refused they would receive comments, the Galway City Marathon would then, go through the whole review again. (So i guess Galway City Council proposed a new route with the comments)

But some little publican wanted to become an event organiser himself in order to fill his own pockets. Any organisation that is run by the public service in Ireland is run at a loss because they are incompetent & not efficient.

This event will promote Galway. Here is what Runners World Magazine had to say about the marathon last year.
    With a laid-back bohemian vibe, and an utterly unmatchable atmosphere, this urban beauty in the west of Ireland will charm you…. Dublin won’t like it and nor will Cork, but Galway could surpass them both as the home of Ireland’s destination marathon…While the running was good, it was the pre-and post-race atmosphere that will stick in the memory…. In Galway they don’t need much of an excuse to throw a party. The challenge is to wait until after you’ve run the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Just registered and first two posts on this? A connection to the organisers I think I smell.

Couple of questions:

Any chance of the organisers paying the corpo the 4k they owe them from the 2010 marathon?

Did the organisers recognise the problems with the planning last year?

If yes:

Why did they submit a one page plan this year?!

If no, don't think there is a future in organising such events for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

Traffic Management Plan for Galway City Marathon

Complete road closure of the route for the duration of the event.

Anything less will result in chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

ger664 wrote: »
    Traffic Management Plan for Galway City Marathon

Complete road closure of the route for the duration of the event.

Anything less will result in chaos.
    what's the point in having a road closed after the last runner has past through or before the first runner is anywhere near it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

McTigs wrote: »
    what's the point in having a road closed after the last runner has past through or before the first runner is anywhere near it?

The first runners will be finished in just over 2 hours so closing the whole route about one hour or so before the start time is logistically the easiest option for all concerned.

As regards the reopening of the roads yes this can be done on a phased basics but not as the last runner passes through but have cut off times at certain points along the route and make participants/motorists aware of these cut off times and locations.

If you want to run a successful marathon event the most important part is participant safety followed by support all along the route. This means shutting the city down to traffic for most of the day and its inhabitants getting out and cheering on the participants. This will not be delivered when the event organiser, city council and its inhabitants are not working together.

It seemed quite devious of Mike Crowe to attempt to get the City Council to run a marathon themselves when he knew well that two of Ireland's most famous athletes already had established one last year.

Instead of working things out after the difficulties which arose last year, Crowe went down a devious path and the Council were just incompetent or poor at communications.

There may be an element of the organisers attempting to pass the blame after failing to attract enough entries, but they do have very valid points about how poor the Council is at promoting local businesses and events.

It's not the first time incompetence has been associated with City Hall ... look at the cryptosporidium criss, the houses that went without water for weeks at the start of this year, the incompetent revamp of Eyre Square, or the 'free' site donated for the Art House cinema (left idle for a year), and the delays to the revamp of the Seamus Quirke Road.

If some of the senior officials in City Hall worked in the real world (ie the private sector) they would be shown the door.

It seems that Cllr Crowe is coming out even worse from this sad saga this week, having to admit he was wrong about a statement he made alleging the Galway City Marathon organisers had not made pledged donations to local charities and volunteer organisations last year.

At this stage, I'd be inclined to believe the Donovans about this whole sorry tale, even if they may have been disappointed with the entry level.

This is the Council which has stumbled through at least two water crises (cryptosporidium and the weeks of shortages last winter) the Eyre Square revamp debacle, the Art House cinema fiasco, and the rezoning of a former Mayor's land, in contravention of their own plans.

If some of the people in the Council were in the private sector, they'd be worried about their jobs.

Crowe really is amazing. He wanted the Council to organise the marathon themselves when two of Ireland's best known elite athletes, with experience of running such events all over the world, were already doing it themselves. FFS, he launched it last year when he was Mayor.

He made totally false allegations, without foundation, against people who actually didn't want to be seen to make a scene about making donations to worthy charities. Unlike him, they didn't want their mugs in the paper, claiming all the credit for handing over the donations.

And he's an auctioneer / property developer.

He seemed to be thrilled by the David Norris fiasco, indicating he may be homophobic, and even wrote an article in a local free newspaper to deny such claims. Yet he was the one who kept on about refusing to allow Norris to address the Council when everyone else had moved on.

Just the kind of local representative Galway needs, really.

Crowes muppetry knows no bounds.

I have never come across a public representative with such startling ability to get things wrong.

He managed to join Fianna Fail just as the party was about to collapse, he opened his Auctioneering firm just as the property market was about to collapse, revelations about his private property lease deal with the council came out just as the people were about to go to the polls, he made a complete tit of himself when he came out against the German market claiming to be protecting local business on the same day local business came out saying the welcomed it and of course, lest we forget "I'm sick of trees" (no i won't let it go. ever). And now this. This and more and of course all the stuff we don't know about.

You could probably put together a Fr Ted style comedy series based around his buffoonery.

seriously, what kind of idiot publicly accuses someone of renaging on a charitable pledge without first checking to see if they did or not.

beggers belief

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oi! that "I'm sick of trees" is mine, hands off :D

I hope the Donovans can pursue this further.
    Does anyone know whatever happened to that complaint from February made by a citizen about Crowe's alleged breach of ethics in failing to declare his RAS properties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What's the "I'm sick of trees" bit about? Was it something to do with Eyre Square?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement