Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3DS massive price drop, 20 free games for early adopters

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

According to Kotaku

3DS is now $170 in the US from $249

Also mentions 20 free downloadable games for current owners. No mention of price change for Europe though.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Prices have been slashed on Amazon already

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Prices aren't officially dropping until August 12th. If companies like Amazon have dropped their price already, wouldn't you be entitled to the 20 free games if you bought before then? Win win if you are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I'll never become an early adopter again. I guess those of us who got it at launch day from the high street get nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So long as you connect to the eShop before August 12th, you'll get the 20 free games. It doesn't matter if you bought it from the high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Prices have been slashed on Amazon already
    £169 is the reduced price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cut confirmed for europe (cut by 'around a third')

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-28-eu-3ds-price-cut-around-a-third

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ScaldyMc

I like the selection of gba games listed. Dying to play Metroid Fusion again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

ScaldyMc wrote: »
    I like the selection of gba games listed. Dying to play Metroid Fusion again.

Check boards.ie, find out I'm getting 20 free games.

Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Are people able to get the free games now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

So from the looks of it, if you don't already own a 3DS and are planning on buying one, the best option would be to buy it now before August 12th from the likes of Amazon etc who have already pre-empted the price cut thus guaranteeing 20 free games?

I wonder if the receipt of the free games will follow the long wait associated with the PSP GO 10 free games offer. I've heard so many stories of people purchasing a GO and waiting over 2 months to receive the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2011/nintendo_3ds_ambassador_programme_44123.html

YOU NEED TO CONNECT TO WIFI BEFORE AUGUST 11TH IN ORDER TO BE MARKED AS AN EARLY-ADOPTER, SO GO TO MCDONALDS OR SOMETHING AND DOWNLOAD A SYSTEM MENU UPDATE OR SOMETHING.
    ANYONE WHO DOESN'T CONNECT TO THE INTERNET ON THEIR 3DS BEFORE AUGUST 11TH 11:59PM WILL NOT RECEIVE THE FREE GAMES FROM THE ESHOP.

Guys, question about ordering from Amazon.co.uk. I've never bought anything before so if the price is £169, are there any hidden costs apart from maybe postage? Nearly bought a 3DS yesterday, so glad I didn't now with this cut.

I noticed the likes of play.com etc haven't updated their prices yet. Do you think I should go with Amazon or will their be better deals over the next few hours/days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Guys, question about ordering from Amazon.co.uk. I've never bought anything before so if the price is £169, are there any hidden costs apart from maybe postage? Nearly bought a 3DS yesterday, so glad I didn't now with this cut.

I noticed the likes of play.com etc haven't updated their prices yet. Do you think I should go with Amazon or will their be better deals over the next few hours/days?
    Nope.
    Delivery is free too, with super-saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Guys, question about ordering from Amazon.co.uk. I've never bought anything before so if the price is are there any hidden costs apart from maybe postage? Nearly bought a 3DS yesterday, so glad I didn't now with this cut.

That's the price it's been most of the time on amazon. They haven't applied the cut yet.

Cool, well hopefully the cut is applied on their site well before the 11th or else I'll just get one in HMV for €119.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

*sees price cut* F U Nintendo

-clicks through and sees 20 free games* = happyness again.

I get 20 free games for basically no reason (on my part) :D Gotta love Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Halve_ZOL

Cool, well hopefully the cut is applied on their site well before the 11th or else I'll just get one in HMV for €119.

€119? Then I'm definitely picking one up. Missed out on Ocarina of time back in the days, so looking forward to play that one.

Where are you getting €119 from? It won't be that cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd say it'll go down to 150 -170 myself. Maybe as high as 190 for shops like xtravision that are determined to try and keep prices high.

€169 seems to be the figure thrown around on neogaf/etc....Guessing whatever DS models are still on sale will get a price drop :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

*sees price cut* F U Nintendo

-clicks through and sees 20 free games* = happyness again.

I get 20 free games for basically no reason (on my part) :D Gotta love Nintendo.

So basically, early adopters like myself will have paid roughly €100 for twenty NES or GB roms which the 3DS will emulate? (assuming the rrp falls to €150 from €250) Oh yeah, I really love Nintendo. I'd be happy with a few more choice 3DS titles tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

This price cut is what Nintendo need to compete with the PS Vita... Surely the price drop is to influence people to the 3DS rather than the Vita.. I think I shall pick up another 3DS after price drop then PS Vita.. Could have predicted this would happen with the Vita only being 50 quid more than 3DS and a whole lot more powerful..

EnterNow wrote: »
    So basically, early adopters like myself will have paid roughly €100 for twenty NES or GB roms which the 3DS will emulate? (assuming the rrp falls to €150 from €250) Oh yeah, I really love Nintendo. I'd be happy with a few more choice 3DS titles tbh.

Considering they didn't have to.....a 3DS title or two would have been much sweeter though tbh...

And i was happy enough paying full price for the system so i guess i gotta be happy with some free downloads in addition...just my way of looking at it. :)

EnterNow wrote: »

Really don't have any sympathy for you. Everyone knew it was overpriced at launch for the diehard fans who'll pay anything, then they drop the price when sales die down to pick up the people on the fence. It was released too early just so the profits would fit into one of their stupid quarterly reports instead of when it's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

5 of the 10 NES games have been confirmed so far:
    Super Mario Bros,
    Donkey Kong Jr,
    Balloon Fight,
    Ice Climber,
    and The Legend of Zelda,
    available from September 1.

And 5 of the 10 GBA games have also been confirmed:
    Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
    Mario Kart: Super Circuit
    Metroid Fusion
    WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$, and
    Mario Vs Donkey Kong,
    available by the end of the year.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29082/free-3ds-games-confirmed/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well I already own all of those games but I'll take them since they're free.
    It's great that Nintendo are doing this but it also smacks of desperation to shift a few consoles before PS Vita comes along in all its shiny goodness

According to nintendo.co.uk, it seems that Yoshi's Island and Super Mario Advance 3 are on the GBA list, maybe instead of Super Mario Advance 4, or maybe in addition to the other 5... but anyway! :pac:
    Here's the details of the ambassador programme (you become a 3DS ambassador automatically if you connect to the eShop before August 11):
    http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2011/nintendo_3ds_ambassador_programme_44123.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Logged on there to the E-Shop, does that mean I'm in for the free games now?

Thought this was fairly defeatest.
    All of you who have kindly supported Nintendo 3DS from the beginning are Nintendo’s most important customers. Although we may not be able to completely prevent you from regretting purchasing Nintendo 3DS early, we would like to express our gratitude to our special customers like you by offering 20 free downloadable games from Nintendo eShop.

Odd that they'd think people would regreat getting the 3DS early but at least they're acknowledging us fans

^Yeah I thought that was pretty strange too, I even lol'ed at that part. :D It's as if they expect everyone who bought the 3DS on day one to regret ever making the purchase.
    pdbhp wrote: »
    Logged on there to the E-Shop, does that mean I'm in for the free games now?
    Yep I think that's literally all you have to do to qualify for the free games. Have to wait another month to access the NES games, but that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

What kind of backwards compatibility does the 3DS have?

Advertisement