Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

College Books

Options
  • 24-07-2011 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps,

Im starting in LYIT this September and Im wondering where the best place is to get books. Can books (regardless of the course) be sourced locally in Letterkenny ? Some student unions sell second hand books, is this also the case in LYIT ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Have a look at the 2nd years timetable and get talking to them about their books that the don't need anymore.
    Loads of people will be doing it, and the 2nd years will be more than happy to get rid of their books.
    Don't bother about what (you think) people will think. College mindset: bargain = more money for going out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

stacexD wrote: »
    Don't bother about what (you think) people will think.

Im afraid you've lost me ???

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

A lot of people in my class last year were too embarrassed to go and ask people for second hand books.
    Of course they felt like eejits forking out 70 quid a book when the rest of the class got them for half nothing

Yeah right-o, I dont embarrass easily so it'll be no dramas talking to 2nd years for me. I would like to have the books before i start my first class, Im starting Civil Engineering this year so anyone wanting to sell me there books shoot me a private message

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

It really depends on the course but there wasn't too many books that you had to buy for my course, only certain lecturers asked people to get a certain book because they where using it in class and the library hasn't got 40 copies of a book :)

• Advertisement

2nd years feel free to advertise your books here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

He thinks that you'll think that people will think that you're poor.

I think.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Your best bet is to find out what books you need then get an email sent around to all students asking if anyone is interested in selling them, Lots of people do this as you get countless emails about it, you won't be able to do that till you register in sept though :)

He thinks that you'll think that people will think that you're poor.

I think.:p

I think that you think that he thinks that i care what anyone thinks, also he thinks that i think and you think that think thinks thinks

Get it ? Good !!

iMuse wrote: »
    Your best bet is to find out what books you need then get an email sent around to all students asking if anyone is interested in selling them, Lots of people do this as you get countless emails about it, you won't be able to do that till you register in sept though :)

Yeah i've e-mailed the college a few days ago to get my hands on a book list for the coming academic year, and seeing as prospective students dont have access to the LYIT intranet, this could be a good space for students to sell unwanted books they may have .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I wouldnt be rushing out to buy any books just yet. I did electronic engineering in LYIT and only ever bought one book in first year. There was no need to buy any others.

Trish2007 wrote: »
    only ever bought one book in first year. There was no need to buy any others.

Why not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Why not ?

Because there wouldn't have been any book that covered any one subject so we were given notes instead. It really depends on what course you are doing and what lecturers you will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

You also could wait until some time in September when people start to put up ads on noticeboard in corridor leading to canteen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement