Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB tap the EIB for €200m for Smart Metering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The ESB can pay it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bit misleading. They're going to spend €470m but only part of that will involve smart metering. In fact it looks like the money will be used for the specification work.
    The rest is for transmission and distribution work and infrastructure for electric vehicles.
    There's about 2m domestic meters in the country - changing all of them is easily going to cost €1bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Isn't the whole point of stuff like smart-metering is that you have a high speed internet connection to provide the data back to base. For example the folks in power company in Chattanooga Tennessee used this as excuse to build out the FTTH network there. Thence you been able to get 1Gbps (symmetrical) for $350/month (or if you want any speed from 10Mb/s up -- lot cheaper) as well as having smart meter etc.

I'm assuming all of this would have to tie in with the "NewEra" proposals that FG were talking about prior to the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

dubhthach wrote: »
    Isn't the whole point of stuff like smart-metering is that you have a high speed internet connection to provide the data back to base.

I don't think a high speed internet connection makes much of a difference to be honest, The only info being sent is a 5 digit meter reading every 15mins or a command code to disconnect or change the tariff. They use 3G modems for the trials and I would imagine they will use them for the role out, which means 95+% of houses can have a smart meter without any changes to broadband infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ukoda wrote: »
    I don't think a high speed internet connection makes much of a difference to be honest, The only info being sent is a 5 digit meter reading every 15mins or a command code to disconnect or change the tariff. They use 3G modems for the trials and I would imagine they will use them for the role out, which means 95+% of houses can have a smart meter without any changes to broadband infrastructure.

They're also looking at using PLC (power line carrier) for a national rollout.

Also, consideration is being given to proper smart networks, i.e. can the meter control appliances in the home and shut them down if overall demand is too high or even link appliances like freezers to the amount of wind power being generated at any one time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement