Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardstyle in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

es-cee wrote: »
    thats because ireland is and always has been limited to a small number of genres compared to uk and other places, its been predominantly house, trance & techno for the better part of 22 years now. i for one got well pissed off with all three years ago and would love the irish public to open their minds to a bit more variation in musical taste, could only be good for the stale scene her atm. apart from dubstep, i can't even remember the last time a totally diffierent style from the three i mentioned above came to the forefront of the scene.

variety is the spice of life after all ;)

But you're dealing with 60 million versus 5 million here. There is obviously going to more chance for more outré scenes to develop over across the water than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Lilith Cool Worm

But you're dealing with 60 million versus 5 million here. There is obviously going to more chance for more outré scenes to develop over across the water than here.
    Well look at Belgium with a population 11 million, just under twice the population of Ireland. The place is ****ing insane for music. For every genre you can think of, there's sure to be a big scene in Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

its been like that over there since it started tho, they always branched out and came up with fresh ideas, thats why the club scene in still very much alive and kicking and as fresh as it was when it 1st started nearly 25 years ago. it got very stagnant in the late 90's over here and its just gone from bad to worse because the people who are pushing the music wont change from what has become a total loss, lets be honest about it. fresh ideas are whats needed to get the scene back to a shadow of what it once was many moons ago, but i can't see that happening any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

I wouldn't like to blame the low population for the reason the scene is so dire, i would simply put it down to the history.

you had chart music, and rave.
    everyone looked at rave as "thump thump thump thump" no matter what the genre. it was just classed as one thing, only us "young fellas" at the time knew there was massive difference.

at that time back then, we had trance,hard house and hard techno. you were into one of them. drugs went hand in hand with this music, speed and E. and so the culture in Ireland evolved.

people like mark kavanagh(amongst others), with his baby doll records, cashed in on the scene, which largely dominated the bit of a scene we had, and of coarse, all this type of music was heavily associated with drug taking.

so if you weren't a raver taking E and dancing to Hard house and trance , you were in the local disco dancing to chart music tryin to get the oùl ride of betty with the big tits. it was either one or the other.

and so the trend has still stretched as far as today and hasn't died yet. and thats why things are the way they are today.

sheeple, not people. 2 cents.

its been like that over there since it started tho, they always branched out and came up with fresh ideas, thats why the club scene in still very much alive and kicking and as fresh as it was when it 1st started nearly 25 years ago. it got very stagnant in the late 90's over here and its just gone from bad to worse because the people who are pushing the music wont change from what has become a total loss, lets be honest about it. fresh ideas are whats needed to get the scene back to a shadow of what it once was many moons ago, but i can't see that happening any time soon.

I don't know… if I was young, free and single I reckon apart from the ridiculous closing times I'd be pretty happy with the clubbing scene in Ireland. It might be a small enough scene but there's always an influx of quality names coming over and for every arsehole promoter operating purely for profit there's one operating for the love of the music. And it's as much about the house parties as it is about the club - always has been and always will be until the licensing laws are radically overhauled. I know people piss and moan the whole time about dance music but imo it's probably the most interesting it's been in donkey's years. There is quality music that doesn't need to conform to any genres being brought out by the likes of Hotflush and other forward thinking labels, all that nonsense about superstar djs has started to fade and there are producers out there creating tunes that move the head, heart and feet. If you're looking at scenes like the trance, prog house and tech house ones then yeah that sh¡t is totally stagnant and there's very little of interest happening there but look at what's happening outside of them and there's some really interesting stuff happening.

Ben Klock last week, Theo Parrish next week, Julio Bashmore and Boxcutter the week after. If I was still living in Dublin it would be happy days…

• Advertisement

I don't know… if I was young, free and single I reckon apart from the ridiculous closing times I'd be pretty happy with the clubbing scene in Ireland. It might be a small enough scene but there's always an influx of quality names coming over and for every arsehole promoter operating purely for profit there's one operating for the love of the music. And it's as much about the house parties as it is about the club - always has been and always will be until the licensing laws are radically overhauled. I know people piss and moan the whole time about dance music but imo it's probably the most interesting it's been in donkey's years. There is quality music that doesn't need to conform to any genres being brought out by the likes of Hotflush and other forward thinking labels, all that nonsense about superstar djs has started to fade and there are producers out there creating tunes that move the head, heart and feet. If you're looking at scenes like the trance, prog house and tech house ones then yeah that sh¡t is totally stagnant and there's very little of interest happening there but look at what's happening outside of them and there's some really interesting stuff happening.

Ben Klock last week, Theo Parrish next week, Julio Bashmore and Boxcutter the week after. If I was still living in Dublin it would be happy days…

i'm just after checkin up yt for all those names ya mentioned, and its no wonder ket is so big in clubs these days, talk about music to slit your wrists to.

just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one android, i can't see the attraction to that stuff at all mate. music with a bit of energy that ya can have a buzz to is what i like, not flat stuff that people mope around on ket to like a bunch of zombies lol.

I wouldn't like to blame the low population for the reason the scene is so dire, i would simply put it down to the history.

you had chart music, and rave.
    everyone looked at rave as "thump thump thump thump" no matter what the genre. it was just classed as one thing, only us "young fellas" at the time knew there was massive difference.

at that time back then, we had trance,hard house and hard techno. you were into one of them. drugs went hand in hand with this music, speed and E. and so the culture in Ireland evolved.

people like mark kavanagh(amongst others), with his baby doll records, cashed in on the scene, which largely dominated the bit of a scene we had, and of coarse, all this type of music was heavily associated with drug taking.

so if you weren't a raver taking E and dancing to Hard house and trance , you were in the local disco dancing to chart music tryin to get the oùl ride of betty with the big tits. it was either one or the other.

and so the trend has still stretched as far as today and hasn't died yet. and thats why things are the way they are today.

sheeple, not people. 2 cents.

I'm not really entirely sure what you're getting at here. Drugs go hand and hand with dance in every other country too. I think the problem in Ireland could be a bit of a snobbery issue. Down the country, where most of the time people's only exposure to dance music is the tripe blaring out of the cars of little boy racers, it's seen as knacker's music and won't bother to listen to or investigate any other genres of dance.

i'm just after checkin up yt for all those names ya mentioned, and its no wonder ket is so big in clubs these days, talk about music to slit your wrists to.

just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one android, i can't see the attraction to that stuff at all mate. music with a bit of energy that ya can have a buzz to is what i like, not flat stuff that people mope around on ket to like a bunch of zombies lol.

Why do you think ket is so big in Ireland? I think you're being totally misinformed there es-cee. Ben Klock was a sea of shirtless bodies giving it socks at full throttle in the basement of the TP last week by all accounts - not something a room of special k users would be doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

I'm not really entirely sure what you're getting at here. Drugs go hand and hand with dance in every other country too. I think the problem in Ireland could be a bit of a snobbery issue.

what im getting at here is that you think the reson ireland is as es-cee said "been predominantly house, trance & techno" is because of the 5 million population we have here, i have to disagree here, it has nothing to do with the size of the population, its a country full of thick farmers who cant think for themselves and are brain washed by media tactics to go in one direction or the other.
    most of the time people's only exposure to dance music is the tripe blaring out of the cars of little boy racers, it's seen as knacker's music and won't bother to listen to or investigate any other genres of dance

yeah, and the music that is playing is hard house or trance and they never bother to discover other genres because they are thick farmers.

Why do you think ket is so big in Ireland? I think you're being totally misinformed there es-cee. Ben Klock was a sea of shirtless bodies giving it socks at full throttle in the basement of the TP last week by all accounts - not something a room of special k users would be doing...

as i said man, not knockin your particular taste in music, its just not what i'd call fresh, and what the scene needs to get back on track (in my opinion of course, don't expect every1 to agree with me). i have mates that love that stuff, and have been listening to that type of stuff for years now, so its hardly new groundbreaking music is it?

ket came in with a bang with minimal techno, ruined the buzz in clubs for me that sh1t. i think the last time other than the asylum gig in the vaults on the 25th of june gone, i actually came across an absolutely electric atmosphere in a club was in the temple theatre in the late 90's, been to hundreds of big gigs since with all types of djs all over the place and have never come across that kinda buzz since.

• Advertisement

as i said man, not knockin your particular taste in music, its just not what i'd call fresh, and what the scene needs to get back on track (in my opinion of course, don't expect every1 to agree with me). i have mates that love that stuff, and have been listening to that type of stuff for years now, so its hardly new groundbreaking music is it?

ket came in with a bang with minimal techno, ruined the buzz in clubs for me that sh1t. i think the last time other than the asylum gig in the vaults on the 25th of june gone, i actually came across an absolutely electric atmosphere in a club was in the temple theatre in the late 90's, been to hundreds of big gigs since with all types of djs all over the place and have never come across that kinda buzz since.

And if you'd been the Klock at the weekend you would have seen the same atmosphere you're searching for. The notion that there's tons of people at those gigs in a k hole couldn't be further from the truth. The upturn in quality of everybody's favourite little something has seen people in clubs going mental and having the time of their lives. Instead of sticking to the old skool es-cee check out one of the nights that people on here might be going to and check out what's really happening instead of assuming that it's all gone to pot. You might be surprised.

And if you'd been the Klock at the weekend you would have seen the same atmosphere you're searching for. The notion that there's tons of people at those gigs in a k hole couldn't be further from the truth. The upturn in quality of everybody's favourite little something has seen people in clubs going mental and having the time of their lives. Instead of sticking to the old skool es-cee check out one of the nights that people on here might be going to and check out what's really happening instead of assuming that it's all gone to pot. You might be surprised.

i stick to oldskool on this board only, drum & bass is what i like these days, but there aren't enough, if any, discussion threads on here, so i stick to my other love which is oldskool. anyway, i'll be goin the luke slater gig in tp on saturday night, so hoping its as good as you mentioned the klock gig was ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

lol at the ket thing.....2008 called, they want their gripe with Dublin's club scene back.

If you had to youtube search for Theo Parrish or Ben Klock because you were unfamiliar with their music, it really says more about how out of touch you are than anything else.

We have big name brilliant DJs over here literally on a monthly basis on average. In the past 12 weeks we've had Joy O and Martyn (in the same room of the same club on the same night), Prosumer/Steffi, Octave One and Ben Klock (to name a few). Next week Theo Parrish is in town. Many regulars in Dublin are flat-out broke because of the relentless quality of bookings over the past while.

All jammed to capacity (or near enough), almost all tops-off-place-going-mental kind of vibe, all full of friendly faces and without putting too fine a point on it, ALL being fuelled by MDMA not Ketamine. In fact I haven't seen somebody in a k-hole in a good 18 months at this stage.

If anybody who was at Klock at Saturday thinks there's no buzz left in music in Dublin, please speak up.

btw, just to clarify, two and a half years ago, dublin clubs were fairly well populated by k-holed eejits wreckin the buzz. The basement of the TP over the past year and half has been nothing like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Lilith Cool Worm

anyway, i'll be goin the luke slater gig in tp on saturday night, so hoping its as good as you mentioned the klock gig was ;)

Thats the only Dublin gig, along with Octave One, which has interested me in the past 6 months. If you're not into minimal techno or housey-dubstep these days, you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

@JT- I dont think having to look up tunes by Ben Klock or Theo Parrish makes you out of touch. It just means you don't follow that particular scene. I'm sure you haven't a clue who US5 or Super Junior or Hellfish or Baseck are but I wouldn't say you're out of touch. Some people just dont like Klock or kalkbrenner of detmann so they wouldn't bother their arse listening to them. I went to Joris Voorn and Sian a couple of weeks back , seemingly they're fairly popular with the kids these days and while they didn't put me to sleep, I didn't exactly come away frothing at the mouth and howling for more.

How many if any of the tracks or artists mentioned in the Proper Solid Techno thread would you have previously listened to or would listen to again? Are you out of touch because of that?
    TP is one small club in a relatively small city in an isolated island off the coast of Europe. If the whole scene revolves around that then I'm not too put out by being out of touch myself.
    I'm sure its a grand spot but its hardly having the same impact on the dance scene here as The Asylum or Sides or Sir Henry's or Shine or Kellys or the Sex Kitchen did.

The whole dance scene in the british isles in general is very tec house/minimal orientated for the past few years. I heard an interview a short while ago with The Space Djz, stalwarts and innovators of the techno scene since the mid 90's be it as Space Djz, Bandulu or individually. They can barely keep up with demand overseas, often playing to 10,000 or more on the festival scene and selling out clubs weeks in advance but can't get a booking in the UK or here.

The Dance scene has been fragmented since day 1. Fúck it, music has always been categorised and grouped by its followers. Beethovens fans probably didn't like Mozart. In this forum loads of us dont say we like techno but yet we dont even like the same techno as each other.

The Ket thing is a cliché alright but a lot of the new minimal/tec sounds developed along with the arival of the ket buzz and will continue to be associated with it for some time to come , right or wrong.

Anyway,120bpm triplet toms, dry snares, minor keys and white noise sweeps are getting awful boring now. From what I hear from the young happening crowd its going to be all Nu-Gabber next year. ;)

Klock is probably the most well known DJ from the Berghain camp which is probably the most well known club on mainland Europe right now. If you haven't heard of Berghain you're out of touch, and if you haven't heard of Klock same goes in terms of general music clubbing.

Oh and just to point out, Klock played absolutely no minimal or tech-house, in fact daroxtar, he was banging out the likes of Ben Sims etc.

Klock played Ben Simms..... and ye danced to it??? No whissshhhy whisshhy dumpydiddlydumpydumpy??????
    Fúckin hell. Go MDMA:D

this is my point. i haven't heard a whiff of tech-house or minimal in dublin in a while (although there are places where you can hear it - i just don't go to them).

Apart from Tripod, TP is the busiest proper club (as in club for music) in dublin and there has been feck all minimal or tech-house in there. Sure the minimal/tech-house/ketamine thing died over two years ago in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »

Tbh, the flood of the aforementioned chemical is the reason the past few months have been so great for Dublin.

I saw the ket times, they were terrible. Tis a different ballgame now. Seriously, some of the last few big nights have been a chaotic flurry of half naked gurners, smiling faces, talking nonsense and inappropriate hugging at an international level.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Klock played Ben Simms..... and ye danced to it??? No whissshhhy whisshhy dumpydiddlydumpydumpy??????
    this was the tune and it was this kind of stuff but a bit heavier the whole night through.

Well fúck me. I'd never put klock down for that kind of tunage. Most of his releases that I've heard were not my cuppa at all. Had I known he was playing that kind of stuff I'd have gone along! Anyway, Hardstyle thread being a bit derailed. Might just head me over to the Ben Klock thread for further discussion on this rather startling new development.

Thats the only Dublin gig, along with Octave One, which has interested me in the past 6 months. If you're not into minimal techno or housey-dubstep these days, you're screwed.

i just got offered a ticket so gonna give it a bash, hopefully its a good night.

jtsuited wrote: »
    Tbh, the flood of the aforementioned chemical is the reason the past few months have been so great for Dublin.

I saw the ket times, they were terrible. Tis a different ballgame now. Seriously, some of the last few big nights have been a chaotic flurry of half naked gurners, smiling faces, talking nonsense and inappropriate hugging at an international level.

like the old days, good times ;) hopefully it keeps up, can't stand that ket sh1t.

lol at the ket thing.....2008 called, they want their gripe with Dublin's club scene back.

If you had to youtube search for Theo Parrish or Ben Klock because you were unfamiliar with their music, it really says more about how out of touch you are than anything else.

We have big name brilliant DJs over here literally on a monthly basis on average. In the past 12 weeks we've had Joy O and Martyn (in the same room of the same club on the same night), Prosumer/Steffi, Octave One and Ben Klock (to name a few). Next week Theo Parrish is in town. Many regulars in Dublin are flat-out broke because of the relentless quality of bookings over the past while.

All jammed to capacity (or near enough), almost all tops-off-place-going-mental kind of vibe, all full of friendly faces and without putting too fine a point on it, ALL being fuelled by MDMA not Ketamine. In fact I haven't seen somebody in a k-hole in a good 18 months at this stage.

If anybody who was at Klock at Saturday thinks there's no buzz left in music in Dublin, please speak up.

was never a fan of that style so wouldn't have a clue who plays or produces it.

fair enough, but as far as techno goes, they don't come bigger than Klock at the moment.

And if you're into detroit house of any description it's almost impossible to not know Parrish.

fair enough, but as far as techno goes, they don't come bigger than Klock at the moment.

And if you're into detroit house of any description it's almost impossible to not know Parrish.

mainly into neurofunk drum and bass myself, the likes of ed rush, optical, noisia, phace, spor, black sun empire etc, but i do like most styles of dnb in general. also like j-tek and hardcore breaks, anything with a good tempo and a break or back beat.
    i'm not against techno or any other genre of newer music, just prefer the above mentioned styles as i was brought up on jungle and breakbeat hardcore from a very young age.
    would love to go to berghain tho, looks brilliant ;)

have you been to Fridays in the TP? Talk to Executive Steve on here as he's the expert on anything DnB related.

• Advertisement

have you been to Fridays in the TP? Talk to Executive Steve on here as he's the expert on anything DnB related.

i've only been tp once and loved it, great little spot. yeah i've heard he plays there alright. been meaning to get out more often for some of their dnb nights, but been in a bit of debt of late which held me back, but hopefully get out a bit more over the coming months. great sound system they have in the basement, 'function 1' or somethin its called isn't it? could literally feel my insides rumbling with the base that night i went in.

Advertisement