Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the medical class one requirements for vision?

Options
  • 03-07-2011 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all!

I'm currently an aeronautical engineering student and I'm hoping to enter a flying academy after graduation.

I currently wear glasses and last time I checked my vision (short sighted) is -6.0 Right and -6.3 left. It is possible for my eyes to be corrected to 20/20 vision, but my question here is what is the correction limit to pass the medical class 1?

I appreciate the help

Flyer89

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

These are the CAA standards, pretty much the same as the IAA as they're all JAR/EASA.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds(December2010).pdf

On the face of it, even with correction your right eye may not meet the standard but don't take my word on it. Get it confirmed by an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Flyer89

xflyer wrote: »
    These are the CAA standards, pretty much the same as the IAA as they're all JAR/EASA.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds(December2010).pdf

On the face of it, even with correction your right eye may not meet the standard but don't take my word on it. Get it confirmed by an expert.

:/ thanks for the info! If this doesnt work out, looks like grad school for me!..What about laser surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Ah that's where you need a real expert. They do have issues with laser correction. I would suggest PPRuNe. Go ask a question in the medical section or do a search in that forum.

But to put it all to rest ring up the aeromedical people in the Mater private. You could get the medical done. It's expensive but all questions will be answered. You could simply ask, they have an Opthamologist. I always found them pretty straight.

If it doesn't work out for you don't worry. Being a pilot isn't what it's cracked up to me. I don't want either of my sons to follow me. Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭tippilot

I thought the requirements were +/- 6.0 per eye for the initial, increasing for recurrent medicals. That was 5 years ago though so it's worth calling them.

As for laser surgery, yes it is acceptable in some cases, but it's worth getting in contact. Personally I'd deal with the CAA in Gatwick for a marginal call like this.

That last bit is the best piece of advice you'll get. Trust me. I've seen guys have a hard time with the AME here on a few issues.

Advertisement