Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Burn

Options
  • 02-07-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

I 6 calves with sun burn on back and legs Has anyone else similar problem or comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

did ya get vet? afair oxytet is what you give are they under shelter now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

What bread? The weather has not been that good, no trees or shelter. Have they no way of getting back in to the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭stanflt

milkprofit wrote: »
    I 6 calves with sun burn on back and legs Has anyone else similar problem or comments

its not sunburn its potosintisizion this is not the correct proununciation-
    calves will need steriods 2get over it-can leave them infertile and pinners-may take months to clear-

cause by poison in some weeds or hedging

is it on their nose ?

whelan1 wrote: »
    is it on their nose ?

does it look like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

stanflt wrote: »
    does it look like this

Sounds like Stanfit has it in one!

LostCovey wrote: »
    Sounds like Stanfit has it in one!
    thank god we agree for once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

whelan1 wrote: »
    thank god we agree for once

I knew you couldn't keep ignoring me W1

have had a very bad day am not in the mood for arguing tonight:o the joys of parenthood , enjoying my wine now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If it is photosensitisation, We had an incalf heifer with it a few years ago.
    The vet advised at the time to take her in from the field to the shed, give her hay for a few days and return her to another field, he linked it with some herb she may have eaten!
    He injected her but I forget with what.
    A twist in the tale is, before the vet came we had her housed, a neighbour came into the shed and the heifer, normally very quite, went berserk. So much so we thought she was going to pass out.
    She got over her ordeal quickly enough though and we still have her in the herd.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    If it is photosensitisation, We had an incalf heifer with it a few years ago.
    The vet advised at the time to take her in from the field to the shed, give her hay for a few days and return her to another field, he linked it with some herb she may have eaten!
    He injected her but I forget with what.
    A twist in the tale is, before the vet came we had her housed, a neighbour came into the shed and the heifer, normally very quite, went berserk. So much so we thought she was going to pass out.
    She got over her ordeal quickly enough though and we still have her in the herd.

your spelling is very good compared to mine:) the oh would kill me if she saw my attempt as she is an english teacher-

did it take long to clear- ive an in calf heifer who got it last year and her skin is still pink

stanflt wrote: »
    your spelling is very good compared to mine:) the oh would kill me if she saw my attempt as she is an english teacher-

did it take long to clear- ive an in calf heifer who got it last year and her skin is still pink

I can blow hot and cold on the spelling!
    Our heifer cleared up pretty quick, but I will say, she didn't have it too badly. Her nose was slightly crusty but what stood out was the frothing at the mouth she was doing, and like I said when she lost it completley in the shed the place was white with froth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

any one know what sort of weed can cause it, know that johnsworth can cause fairly quickly, and ragweed to a lesser degree.
    what other kinds of weeds bring it on.
    can it be caused by a hypersensitiveness to any drugs/minerals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

i think it can be linked to liver problems, had it in a cow one summer and next spring she just wasted away and died. noticed in neighbours calves this year that have not been grazing but out in a yard could be licking something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I had a cow with it (photosensitization) a couple of years back. Vet at the time said it due essentially to a reaction to UV light. The depletion of the ozone layer doesnt help matters either. She was in agony, swinging her head from side to side. I thought she was going to die.
    She was all blistered up, on her nose (as in photo above) and along her back. In fact symtoms are very similar to Blue Tongue, except the udder doesnt get affected. The vet didnt mention her having eaten a plant.

I put a lot of it down to the cow having very fine short hair, and combined with getting very sunny weather suddenly after a lot of very bad, dull weather.

I put her in a dark shed during the day and let her out at night. Make sure you do this. It cured fully but she got a touch of it again some time later.

dar31 wrote: »
    any one know what sort of weed can cause it, know that johnsworth can cause fairly quickly, and ragweed to a lesser degree.
    what other kinds of weeds bring it on.
    can it be caused by a hypersensitiveness to any drugs/minerals
    my ragworth cows that died didnt have a red nose so dont think ragworth causes it .... we would get maybe one a year or less often the fact the op has 6 does suggest they ate the same thing though

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Hi guys
    We have a cow at the moment which calved 4 weeks ago and hasnt been out a day since as she had to be sectioned, but to get to the point every year she gets sores on her left side during the summer months, now she is a ch x bb and white hair ( i know this can be a factor in skin troubles) but im just wondering has anyone had any problems with these and any tips to keep flys off her dont want her getting and infection with the section wound as well
    Thanks
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Vet-- treatment- house 30 ml -codliver oil 5 days --suodo cream
    t is photosensitisation, linked to somee plant possibl
    Vet walked land but could not find anything
    Any other sugestions !!!!!!!
    WE also had 8 cows with this last year

never heard of the cod liver oil . let us know if it works !

milkprofit wrote: »
    Vet-- treatment- house 30 ml -codliver oil 5 days --suodo cream
    t is photosensitisation, linked to somee plant possibl
    Vet walked land but could not find anything
    Any other sugestions !!!!!!!
    WE also had 8 cows with this last year

Just a shot in the dark...but, is your land low lying, marshy type?
    Do you have a lot of buttercups on your land?
    The time my cow got it, she was on land like that.

From;

http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/Photosensitization_Livestock
    Photosensitization in Livestock........

......Ranunculin from buttercups in the fresh state (not in dried) which generally grow in wet soils and marshy areas, cause blistering of the lips and irritation to the mouth and GI tract. This is not a major problem maker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The link above is a good one but as most work on this problem has been done in countries with different climates and therefore flora to ours a lot of it is not relevant or extrapolation needs to be done.

One plant omitted is Bog Asphodel.

Extrapolating from plants mentioned..... Hogweed, Cow parsley and other members of that family,

..........................................Clover, white and red on occassion.

..........................................Fungal spores and mycotoxins are mentioned and we're likely to have our own culprits here.

Ragwort poisoning is mentioned and I've seen photosensitisation preceding the obvious Ragwort Poisoning.

It can be a occur in Malignant Catarrah and there have been suggestions that it can occur in Leptospirosis too but the suggestion applies to exotic species of Lepto.

It can be very severe and should not be underestimated. The colloquial name 'Sunburn' does animals a disservice by trivialising the condition. Luckily most times it is mild and it can be trivial enough to go unnoticed unless pointed out. Most dairy herds would have animals with it in the early grazing season- the trivial form that is.

However, it is a chemical burn that starts at the level of the blood vessels in the skin unlike sunburn which starts closer to the surface.

The pain is usually gone by the time the animal begins to look like a rag doll.

The light reaches the chemical to activate it on areas of the body not protected by melanin/black pigment, so white or light-coloured areas; or areas where the hair is thin or absent (nose, eyelids, back of ears, udder).

Ever noticed it on just one side of an udder?.........................Guess which side of the udder was facing up when the animal was sitting down then.

The chemical reaction is sparked by light, not bright sunlight, just light. The place for an affected animal is the house you have that most resembles a dungeon.

The body temperature reaction can often cause abortion. The circulation of chemicals released from damaged tissue is what causes the nervous signs.

One other curiousity................it can rarely occur in jet-black animals...............just to validate 'The exception proves the rule'.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Conflats wrote: »
    any tips to keep flys off her dont want her getting and infection with the section wound as well
    Thanks
    Conor

Hi Conor,
    To keep flies at bay we use a mixture of Pouron and Stockholm tar.
    Near, but not on the wound.

greysides wrote: »
    The link above is a good one but as most work on this problem has been done in countries with different climates and therefore flora to ours a lot of it is not relevant or extrapolation needs to be done.

The reason I mentioned Buttercups is, there is an abundance of them this year and last. Mentioned on this forum;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66582470

(BTW, the cow that I had with it was almost completely white too.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

We get one or two cases every year around this time. The vet reckons St Johns Worth too as it is normally when grass begins to get scarse before aftergrass comes in and the cattle graze the less palatable grass around the ditches and the heavier ground.

I try to stay away from the extreme holstein bulls as thet appear to be whiter than the more traditional friesian but its not always possible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

pakalasa wrote: »
    The reason I mentioned Buttercups is, there is an abundance of them this year and last. Mentioned on this forum;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66582470

Between the Buttercups, Daffodils, Furze, Dandelions, Broom, Celandine and Forsythia early summer is a very yellow time of the year.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Between the Buttercups, Daffodils, Furze, Dandelions, Broom, Celandine and Forsythia early summer is a very yellow time of the year.
    dont forget the ragworth:)

..................and the Ragwort.

(Although, doesn't it bloom later............?)

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

So far as the spelling is concerned it's - photosensitization! Usually associated with weeds like cow parsley or spurges or euphorbia - "milkweed" is a common name . It's various things in the sap of these plants that are fairly harmless until they are exposed to strong sunlight - then they cause burning and blistering. The really nasty one is giant hogweed - like a giant cow parsley or hemlock - this can be a real killer. Kids often cut bits of the stems to make blow pipes or pea shooters - they get the sap round their mouths and then end up with awful blisters if they are out in the sun.

George

Sun spurge is an interesting one as it's common enough.

Euphorbia-helioscopia-Sun-spurge-20100916.JPG

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

I have a snow white ch heifer calf with sun burnt ears and nose, and that plant does look familiar.

Advertisement