Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 29-01-2003 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

broadband is coming to galway...in the galway independant this week on tthe front page there is an artical on broadband coming to galway for everyone(hopefully)

they are going to start putting down the 45km lines in feb. or march and won't be finished for about 12 months:(...still it will be own when it is up......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wordup

i thought eircom said DSL would be in Galway by March.....

looks like we'll be wating a while yet....

:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As far as I know, Esat have had DSL available for a couple of months.

Eircom have launched it (almost 2 weeks ago) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

SiN - the "broadband" they refer to is Fibre.
    It'll be laid "just in case" we ever need it.
    Not likely int he nea future as we allready ahve a shítload of esat stufff sitting unlit.
    Laying the fibre is only have the job, then you need stuff to actually hook it up to, NOCs, routing, distribution etc.

Have esat started offering DSL on any other exchanges?

They're not using the bit-stream method, but rather plonking their own kit into the exchange and just renting the copper off eircom.
    Which means Shantalla exchange more then liekly won't get Esat dsl, only eircom's.

What's their current speed (up and down), price incl. vat and cap (if any)?
    I'm still ****ed in moycullen, DACs line, though if it's ~€49 per month like I've been hearing we might just get it in the house in town.

How much is the sign-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I thought the only high speed option in Galway (for Eircom) was ADSL which (for business) costs €169pm with a €165 (not inc vat) installation fee. You also need to buy a router. This service (I was told by Eircom today) will not be availible until late Feb/Early March.

Anyone have any other info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by daveg
    I thought the only high speed option in Galway (for Eircom) was ADSL which (for business) costs €169pm with a €165 (not inc vat) installation fee. You also need to buy a router. This service (I was told by Eircom today) will not be availible until late Feb/Early March.

Anyone have any other info ?

router = 486/pentium with smoothwall or a bare bones loobix/bsd install properly configured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement