Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ger Gilroy, on newstalk

Options
  • 24-07-2006 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i think he's a terrible broadcaster.

he presents off the ball on newstalk. but has been filling in for eamann dunphy lately, on the breakfast show.

every fourth or fifth word is, eh, as in.

"we're, eh, talking to, eh, the leader of the, eh, taxi union...."

his voice is pretty anoying too, sounds like he's just woken up after a nights partying, and is pretty condisending sounding too.

there are some good presenters on newstalk, who actualy sound like they've had some sort of broadcast training, but this guy sounds like he just walked in off the street, and said "eh, giz a, eh shot doin dat"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I like the guy. He seems to be well informed, knowlegeable, asks intelligent questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I'm a fan, but mostly of his "off the ball" persona. I think that it is best sports program on Irish Radio at the moment. I agree with the OP wrt to his hesitentcy(sp?) when asking questions. It does come across a bit like he was unprepared. Overall his pro's out-weigh his cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JustSomeone

Each to his own I guess - but there are a few people who I am sick of hearing on Newstalk. In no particular order:
    - Ger Gilroy
    - David Norris
    - Constantin Gurdayev (or however that's spelled)

Carole Coleman has a really offputting, shrill voice, but I can put up with it as her content is generally worth listening to. I think she's one of those presenters who seems more comfortable with "heavy" topics than lighter ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Gotta agree with the OP, he sounds like a total amateur. I switched to Morning Ireland this morning for the first time in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I think hes great. Hes pretty much the reason that i listen to newstalk (him and the other off the ball guys.). I dont think hes too bad on the morning show and i much prefer him to the girl who was filling in for george hook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

i like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Agree with the OP...staccato delivery gets on yer wick after about 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

He seems to be everywhere lately as well. That stupid slot he did for RTÉ during the World Cup wrecked my nut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

While interviewing someone this morning he asked "what's the craic with...", very unprofessional for a presenter on a current affairs programme.

Edit: Ok, here's the full quote, they were talking about the leaks in the port tunnel at the time:
    "To give us the details, eh, we've actually got Tom Lyons of the, eh, Independent on the line, Tom what's the craic here, mmm, is this something actually new that's happened or was it kind of expected?"

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

While interviewing someone this morning he asked "what's the craic with...", very unprofessional for a presenter on a current affairs programme.

exactly, he just comes accross as some headaball, who has absolutly no training what so ever.

a bit like that knob head who does the weather on tv3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I think he is very good on the radio but his tv stuff is terrible ala park live and dat world cup thing he did! the worst presenter on newstalk i think is gerry o'sullivan he does the weekend sports show his voice is so annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What is with the ring at the top of his ear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Holy crap, when this thread was going, Facebook and smartphones didn't exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

I like the cut of his jib.

I love his sports work & honestly miss his interviews when he was on the morning show, that condesending tone was great for interviewing politicians et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Dudess wrote: »
    Holy crap, when this thread was going, Facebook and smartphones didn't exist!

Sweet Jebus, thats what I get for nosing around the main page.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ger Gilroy has got even more annoying since this thread started. These days he has the habit of throwing in 'like". Similar to the way a teenage girl does. Lately he has taken to throwing words in like feckers and sh*te when on air.
    He now sounds even more amateurish then local community radio now. Maybe that's the selling point? I don't know.
    What used to annoy me more was his under current of smugness and fake sounding dramatic voice. For the dramatic moments. Similar to Cartman in South park.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Ger Gilroy has got even more annoying since this thread started. These days he has the habit of throwing in 'like". Similar to the way a teenage girl does. Lately he has taken to throwing words in like feckers and sh*te when on air.
    He now sounds even more amateurish then local community radio now. Maybe that's the selling point? I don't know.
    What used to annoy me more was his under current of smugness and fake sounding dramatic voice. For the dramatic moments. Similar to Cartman in South park.

I was listening to off the ball last night and I can't believe how bad a presenter Ger Gilroy is. I generally switch over if he is presenting it rather than Joe Molloy.

He was trying to make a point about the Ireland team being given the day off training so they could go on the p*iss. When everyone disagreed with him he started shouting it louder in a funny voice which was really cringe. I've noticed this is something he often does. Not sure if he is trying to be funny or what.

I disagree with a lot of his opinions about sport also. Its a pity he lets the show down because the rest of the team do a pretty good job. Surprised this guy has been around for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Martin O'Neill might finally have made the penny drop for him?

He was on 'Off the Ball' on Newstalk recently -

Ger Gilroy interview with Martin O'Neill 3rd June 2017

Here is the bit in question word for word.

Ger Gilroy:

Yeah, except the thing about the national team is that....

A lot of the the.....

A lot of the language around it is dictated, by the TV punditry

And I don't know if the view is necessarily dictated the way it would have been when we were kids growing up, where there was.... like...

No access

No other analysis

No other media around it

It was like the two lads, said whatever they said

The public parroted that

Maybe, I think now people have much more access and they have their own information

And they can make their own mind up

But it's still...like, there is still a dominate viewpoint at times.

Is....the viewpoint that comes across on the TV punditry

And, with the national team everybody feels a sense of ownership about it

Martin O'Neill:

Eh sorry

I am not following you

Give me that again

Ger Gilroy:

Are you worried that sometimes the analysis around team is a bit too negative?

Martin O'Neill:

You could of said that in the first place

That took you 15 minutes

Ger Gilroy:
    (Interrupting quickly)

I wanted to explain it properly

Martin O'Neill:

Well it is easier if you just speak simply

You know, it helps....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

When the guys from Second Captains left Newstalk, I stopped listening to Off the Ball. There is literally nothing interesting about Ger, Joe, Kevin Kilbane etc... That said lots of people seem to like them and the ratings remain good afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

I hate this guy

• Advertisement
Advertisement