Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 and DICE got bend over by EA...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This is exactly the type of DLC i absolutely hate !!

With CoD.. i can live with the map packs, its what most DLC/Expansions have always done, given extra content after release. But its this stripping the game of missions, maps and now guns that really takes the piss. They did it with dragon age, tiger woods and now battlefield... bit of a joke really. If they want to give bonuses to retailers, make it completely cosmetic not something that will impact the game.

Didn't Dice take a pot shot at CoD at E3 about the whole elite thing ? :D

p.s I know its not Dice's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hate that this is happening more and more now. While I'd normally be the 1st to cry FU EA, this is not the 1st game they have done this with nor are they the only ones doing it. The rage should be directed at the industry as a whole not just at EA who clearly could care less what johnny public thinks as long as they can rape every franchise they own for all the $ it's worth and over very little new IP and thus risk very little $. They simple don't care.

Why are they doing it ???? Because fools and their money are soon parted (I count my self in that grouping :o ) , sure only last month rockstar did the exact same thing and we bent over and gladly took it from L.A noire and it's cases clearly cut from the game to be given away as pre-order dlc and then cough up a few hundred MS Points for the other one we didn't get :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Meanwhile, over in the Battlefield specific forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056296638

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

calex71 wrote: »
    Hate that this is happening more and more now. While I'd normally be the 1st to cry FU EA, this is not the 1st game they have done this with nor are they the only ones doing it. The rage should be directed at the industry as a whole not just at EA who clearly could care less what johnny public thinks as long as they can rape every franchise they own for all the $ it's worth and over very little new IP and thus risk very little $. They simple don't care.

Why are they doing it ???? Because fools and their money are soon parted (I count my self in that grouping :o ) , sure only last month rockstar did the exact same thing and we bent over and gladly took it from L.A noire and it's cases clearly cut from the game to be given away as pre-order dlc and then cough up a few hundred MS Points for the other one we didn't get :(

i know what you mean: fools and theyr money are easy to be parted, but in all honesty we cant do much, EA knows it. we want that game! i really doubt, that people who are waiting for this game, wount buy it becouse of dlc. they will be furiuos, but still buy it...

there are millions of us, who want play BF3 now, We all want it, we wait it like a cup of water in desert. EA knows it.

its same as: going with estate agent to check on house you want to buy, and while looking at house, you jump from joy and scream how you love it and want it, Estate agent knows that he can take you for a loooooooooooong ride. you are you, Estate agent is EA ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

see im not full of **** now am i boards.ie :pac::pac:

i wont be picking this up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

****it, I don't like it but I am not going to be a hypocrite and say I'm not going to buy it.

sink wrote: »
    ****it, I don't like it but I am not going to be a hypocrite and say I'm not going to buy it.

hardly being a hypocrite :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Same, in fact I'll be pre-ordering it, and paying for the mappack

As much as I hate it, I'm not going to deprive myself of 100's of hours of quality gaming just to take a self righteous stand that will have no impact. They can have my 10euro or whatever it is.

Also, chances are down the line that content will be free, if you remember they gave away Special Forces, Armored and Euro for BF2 for free as part of an update. And the same with 2142.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

hardly being a hypocrite :P

It is if I know I won't be able to resist buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Don't see what the big deal here is, to be honest. People are making it out to be the worst thing in the world. This happens with tons of games.

That's not to say that I didn't vote against it on the EA forums, I did. I also don't like the situation. I don't hear anyone bitching about the extra maps. Surely they'd solve everyone's problems if they just included the weapons with the Back To Karkland map pack, so anyone can buy them, if they choose to

see im not full of **** now am i boards.ie :pac::pac:
    No, you still are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It is if I know I won't be able to resist buying it.

You see lads. My point proven ;).

And yup. I'll be on the same bandwagon :D . Between two evils I better choose lesser one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Would EA please **** off and leave Dice alone. all the have to do is market the game and they'll be rolling in it. Stop interfering FFS

I'm not one bit happy about this but it still wont stop me from buying it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

At this stage I don't buy DLC, they are complete rip-offs. I have just finished LA Noire and really enjoyed, but R* can f*ck off if they think I'm buying their DLC which was clearly part of the original game. The last time I brought DLC was for GTA IV which I thought was great value for money.

Remember the awesome expansion packs such as Opposing Force for Half Life, bring them back I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

To the people who are saying "I won't buy DLC for this game" , the chances are , that they will give this DLC content to server providers for free. So it will be on most /all servers rotations.

Which then means if you love this game, and it does look like it will be amazing, that you will be kicked everytime a map from the DLC pack comes on.

This will get infuriating I have no doubt, and depending on how much you enjoy or value the game.....regardless of your view on DLC, you will probably end up buying it just so you don't get kicked off every single server.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Benzino wrote: »
    Remember the awesome expansion packs such as Opposing Force for Half Life, bring them back I say!

Making games was a lot easier and less expensive back then. Who's going to pay for such an expansion for a modern game; you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

SeantheMan wrote: »
    As much as I hate it, I'm not going to deprive myself of 100's of hours of quality gaming just to take a self righteous stand that will have no impact. They can have my 10euro or whatever it is.

I'm reluctantly agreeing with you. I think it's a joke that a game can have planned DLC ready before the game is even released. If a group of people decided to vote with their wallets, I'd join in. If consumers were to take a stand, EA would be forced to stop this nonsense.

At the same time though, it's great business for EA. Look at COD:BO; if you want the full games content, could end up spending close to €100 for the complete game.

Edit: I'll most likely buy the game, but definitely not the DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Zillah wrote: »
    Making games was a lot easier and less expensive back then. Who's going to pay for such an expansion for a modern game; you?

What a snotty response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Notorious wrote: »
    I'm reluctantly agreeing with you. I think it's a joke that a game can have planned DLC ready before the game is even released. If a group of people decided to vote with their wallets, I'd join in. If consumers were to take a stand, EA would be forced to stop this nonsense.

At the same time though, it's great business for EA. Look at COD:BO; if you want the full games content, could end up spending close to €100 for the complete game.

Edit: I'll most likely buy the game, but definitely not the DLC.
    I don't understand why people can't get this. Projects like these are planned months in advance with development time and resources (Read: money) allotted for the development of content aimed at DLC. Sometimes it's made during the main development cycle, other times it's worked on exclusively after launch but it's still always planned. If it was not going to be offered as DLC then they simply wouldn't make it.

As for the current issue, my problem with it is that it's exclusive to DLC rather than something that can be unlocked with X hours of play like Bad Company and which is just an early unlock with the LE edition of the game. Here's hoping they do a similar u-turn once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I just skimmed through the original article, and the author states that the weapons removed and added to the DLC pack will give those who pre-order an advantage.

This is not true though. EA released a statement in response to the community boycott declared and said that the weapons do not unbalance the game or give advantages, they are simply different models of weapon statistics that already exist in the game everyone will play, regardless of whether or not you pre-order. They are just skins people... Statistically, Pre-Order Shotgun X will have the same effect as Standard Shipped Shotgun Y - they will just look different.

If you pre-order you get cool looking weapons, oh and a map (which you will be able to buy after you play the game anyway).

Seriously, gamers these days are becoming more and more like reality tv fans - they love all the 'drama'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

gizmo wrote: »
    I don't understand why people can't get this. Projects like these are planned months in advance with development time and resources (Read: money) allotted for the development of content aimed at DLC. Sometimes it's made during the main development cycle, other times it's worked on exclusively after launch but it's still always planned. If it was not going to be offered as DLC then they simply wouldn't make it.

I think its in part due to the fact that people perceive that since the devs are announcing the dlc pre-launch that it could have been included in the game, and as such is just seen as money gouging on the devs part, also haven't there been a few instances where content that has been on the disc has been locked as dlc?

• Advertisement

Burgo wrote: »
    I think its in part due to the fact that people perceive that since the devs are announcing the dlc pre-launch that it could have been included in the game, and as such is just seen as money gouging on the devs part, also haven't there been a few instances where content that has been on the disc has been locked as dlc?
    In the first case that's a mix of ignorance and entitlement. Not really much developers can do about that unfortunately but thankfully there's a decent number of people who actually think about it rather than rushing to grab the nearest pitch fork and flaming torch.

As for the content being on disc and locked out, I've commented on this several times before and it's the same in this context. Yes, the content may be there, either due to the reason I stated above i.e. allowance was made in the budget for it's development in the knowledge it would be locked out or due to a technical requirement revolving around the fact that in multiplayer games every client must have the same build/content as each other. The Bioshock 2 skin pack was a recent example of this.

Man up gizmo..... You keep saying this DLC is planned in advance.. OBVIOUSLY ITS PLANNED IN ADVANCE !!! It doesn't stop it being complete and utter bullsh1t !

I seriously doubt that it cost them anything extra to make these attachments, they just pull developers away from making the main game.

http://youtu.be/db7-m0YuNU8?t=5m30s

This guy pretty much nails it for me, I have no problem with cosmetic stuff being DLC on release day but items that will impact the MP is silly.

Magill wrote: »
    Man up gizmo..... You keep saying this DLC is planned in advance.. OBVIOUSLY ITS PLANNED IN ADVANCE !!! It doesn't stop it being complete and utter bullsh1t !

I seriously doubt that it cost them anything extra to make these attachments, they just pull developers away from making the main game.

http://youtu.be/db7-m0YuNU8?t=5m30s

This guy pretty much nails it for me, I have no problem with cosmetic stuff being DLC on release day but items that will impact the MP is silly.
    Well then unfortunately you have no idea how the development process works then. Pulling people off what they're working on to concentrate on DLC does cost money, simple as. Have you any idea how long it would take to model one of those weapons? Then skin it? Then animate it? Then get the appropriate sounds for them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it'd take a week, week and a half max.

stop shilling for EA gizmo, this is daylight robbery plain and simple

Well then unfortunately you have no idea how the development process works then. Pulling people off what they're working on to concentrate on DLC does cost money, simple as. Have you any idea how long it would take to model one of those weapons? Then skin it? Then animate it? Then get the appropriate sounds for them?

Thats the problem tho... they arent really pulling anyone off anything are they ? The guys who have developed the rest of the attachments are almost certainly the same guys that develop these "Exclusive retail" attachments... if they didnt pull them off to make them what exactly would they be doing ? OH THATS RIGHT... They'd be doing the same ****ing thing or they'd be doing NOTHING and still getting paid.... hence not costing them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Thats the problem tho... they arent really pulling anyone off anything are they ? The guys who have developed the rest of the attachments are almost certainly the same guys that develop these "Exclusive retail" attachments... if they didnt pull them off to make them what exactly would they be doing ? OH THATS RIGHT... They'd be doing the same ****ing thing.... hence not costing them anything.

Here here!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's all irrelevant now, EA and Dice gave in and everyone gets the PWP content.

Sure i said it a week ago its gonna get worse

None of us will never learn and some just make excuses for the companies and get robbed ,where do you draw the line ?

Thats the problem tho... they arent really pulling anyone off anything are they ? The guys who have developed the rest of the attachments are almost certainly the same guys that develop these "Exclusive retail" attachments... if they didnt pull them off to make them what exactly would they be doing ? OH THATS RIGHT... They'd be doing the same ****ing thing or they'd be doing NOTHING and still getting paid.... hence not costing them anything.
    Er, no. It would actually depend on the company that they'd be working for. For instance, if the project was planned correctly then their work would be synced with that of the rest of the team so there'd be very little thumb twiddling until the very end of the project when the art is generally completed. At that point they'd either be moved onto a new project which is in production or preproduction or in the absence of either of these, simply let go, as happens so often these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Er, no. It would actually depend on the company that they'd be working for. For instance, if the project was planned correctly then their work would be synced with that of the rest of the team so there'd be very little thumb twiddling until the very end of the project when the art is generally completed. At that point they'd either be moved onto a new project which is in production or preproduction or in the absence of either of these, simply let go, as happens so often these days.

You seem to know what you are talking about but I think I'm going to just act the retard and say YOUR WRONG BECAUSE THE INTERNET RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE. Clearly when making games it takes a couple of days to do all the graphic work and then they sit around the office throwing a ball about waiting on the next big release and not stuff inbetween. CLEARLY.

Advertisement