Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disused stations Waterford to Rosslare!

• 09-06-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

What is going to happen to the Stations that are now closed along the Waterford to Rosslare line - Campile, Ballycullane, Wellingtonbridge, and Bridgetown?

It will be very sad to just see them Derelict, Like It was something from the past Something from the "Celtic tiger era"

The line shouldn't of been closed in the first place, But thats another story.

Has anyone got any information or pictures of the stations, since there closure?

Google Maps/StreetView
    Campile - (Cannot see entrance on google street view) Aerial view - See here!
    Ballycullane - (Once again, cannot see entrance on street view) Aerial view - See here!

Wellingtonbridge - Google Street View - see here
    Bridgetown - (No google street view) Aerial view - See here

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll be left to rot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Surely the whole thing should be mothballed for when a future government sees the error of its ways and reopens it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Stinicker wrote: »
    Surely the whole thing should be mothballed for when a future government sees the error of its ways and reopens it.

Given that the line was closed with the blessing of a Green Minister (Ciaran Cuffe) it is most unlikely that any other party is going to reopen it. Labour pay lip service to rail transport when in opposition and do nothing in government, while even the dogs in the street know that FG wouldn't spend Christmas. The lifting train will next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the buildings all look a bit too basic to sell off to make houses out of as would be done elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Probably the same that happened to all the other closed stations in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They should at least keep the land under the tracks in their possession,maybe turn them into cycle tracks or something in the future and not just hand it over to the nearest land owner for a nominal fee.
    Remember land owners and farmers were demanding (and got) €100,000 an acre for agricultural land to build motorways on,so at least we know the value now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

But isn't there a private operator coming in to run services or was I just being cynical thinking it was all bull****?

Somebody prove me wrong, please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

DWCommuter wrote: »
    But isn't there a private operator coming in to run services or was I just being cynical thinking it was all bull****?

Oh that was the most bizzare episodes in the history of the Irish Rail lobbying since that eejit up north wanted to convert NIR to standard gauge.

I was looking back at the posts on their group. They simply could not deal with reality on any level. The trainspotters feeding them the most insane crap going on about British rural rail projects as if Waterford and Wexford were in the UK. The way they welcomed the IRRS 'Farewell Tour' as the event which would save the line... "This is the publicity and the people we need!" Be like a horse going into a knackers yard expecting to be groomed.

The sad thing was there was a real chance to get a goup going who could do something but as usual the Trainspotters got to them first and they actually took scumbag politicians at their word. Heart was in the right place but did everything wrong and connected themselves to the wrong people.

Anyone who tried to steer them in the right direction family members of the people who ran it writing back in predictive text "U leave cuz alone my peeps is 4 da train back". It was just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Oh that was the most bizzare episodes in the history of the Irish Rail lobbying since that eejit up north wanted to convert NIR to standard gauge.

I was looking back at the posts on their group. They simply could not deal with reality on any level. The trainspotters feeding them the most insane crap going on about British rural rail projects as if Waterford and Wexford were in the UK. The way they welcomed the IRRS 'Farewell Tour' as the event which would save the line... "This is the publicity and the people we need!" Be like a horse going into a knackers yard expecting to be groomed.

The sad thing was there was a real chance to get a goup going who could do something but as usual the Trainspotters got to them first and they actually took scumbag politicians at their word. Heart was in the right place but did everything wrong and connected themselves to the wrong people.

Anyone who tried to steer them in the right direction family members of the people who ran it writing back in predictive text "U leave cuz alone my peeps is 4 da train back". It was just horrible.

I don't think that was really the case, welcoming the railtour would have had no effect either way (no really thought it would, did they?). Trainspotters had no more influence in the closure than anyone else. In fact if I recall correctly the "save the rail" facebook page was littered with trainspottery type posts against the closure. Once IÉ had made their mind up there was no stopping them, in retrospect it was naive to think otherwise. Not save the rail, not IRRS, not the Pope, nobody had a chance.

I don't think they will have much success with a private operator (legally speaking can a private rail operator even operate in Ireland?), but I suppose if they want to have a go..... As you say their heart is in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

(legally speaking can a private rail operator even operate in Ireland?)

NIR could as a successor to the GNR(I). :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

its not bull.

its not them, its a real company who run real passenger trains, in a real country, and if they get their toes in, it will be the ultimate game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think some effort should be made to find a private operator to run Rosslare - Waterford - Limerick - Galway. One with some real incentive to timetable services to encourage traffic and to drum up some traffic. Regional lines elsewhere have been privatised to light weight operations and something along these lines might work. It might not work, of course, but some effort should be made while it is still possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

its not bull.

its not them, its a real company who run real passenger trains, in a real country, and if they get their toes in, it will be the ultimate game changer.

With respect to all who have followed this particular campaign, the Irish EU exemption from private passenger operations suggests otherwise. After that we are left with nothing but innuendo and promises that cannot and have not, to date, been backed up by anything worthwhile.

The secrecy surrounding this particular deal on the south Wexford line is alienating anyone outside of the area. If its to be the first privately operated line in the republic (which will be some ****ing miracle) then the cloak and dagger approach is futile and only serves to set you guys up for a massive fall.

My own personal belief is that a private operator working this line is ****ing fantasy and the sooner the better the people behind it are brought back to reality, the better. Its already looking like a WRC mark two without the widespread support.

PUT UP NOW OR SHUT THE **** UP.

Behind the scenes baloney and "coming soon" ****e means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

With respect to all who have followed this particular campaign, the Irish EU exemption from private passenger operations suggests otherwise. After that we are left with nothing but innuendo and promises that cannot and have not, to date, been backed up by anything worthwhile.

The secrecy surrounding this particular deal on the south Wexford line is alienating anyone outside of the area. If its to be the first privately operated line in the republic (which will be some ****ing miracle) then the cloak and dagger approach is futile and only serves to set you guys up for a massive fall.

My own personal belief is that a private operator working this line is ****ing fantasy and the sooner the better the people behind it are brought back to reality, the better. Its already looking like a WRC mark two without the widespread support.

PUT UP NOW OR SHUT THE **** UP.

Behind the scenes baloney and "coming soon" ****e means nothing.

ah now, we both know who is reading these boards, since they have nothing better to do.

I'll give you a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There is one and only one actor who can step forward to ensure the line going forward and that is Wexford County Council. They should tell Varadkar they will lease the station areas and any other off-track lands and fence off the platform edges for a peppercorn rent and in turn keep them tidy and repaired, perhaps subleasing to social welfare or other agencies on a rolling lease basis so they would have 12 months to relocate should the line move toward reopening. Varadkar should then meet with CIE and tell them get on with the paperwork.

All IE would have to do is no more than NTA is already obligating them to do - keep the track navigable and the LCs repaired.

But that's not going to happen because local authorities in Ireland expect central government to do everything, and central government are control freaks who like it that way.

Advertisement