Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare: An Entitlement or a Privilege? - Discuss

Options
  • 11-06-2011 5:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Do believe that healthcare is a entitlement or a privilege?

Should each person just buy health insurance or should the state cover the costs of healthcare?

Edit (My opinions);

Personally, I think that healthcare should be regarded as a privilege, not a right and that people should have the right to choose whether or not they want to buy health insurance.

Honestly, I don't care if people are covered for their healthcare or not. My issue is with Fine Gael/ Labour's proposals to force people (tax payers) to pay for the produce of private industry (i.e., using tax payers' money to buy health insurance from private insurance firms).

Having it in the law that you are required to buy produce from a private company is unfair and, to be quite frank, a dangerous precedent. For example, I am required to have insurance to drive a car but by law I am not required to drive a car; it is a privilege, not a right. If I do not want to pay for car insurance, I can travel using some other form of transport.

The main dangers, I believe, with the government paying for healthcare insurance are as follows;

We could see certain insurance companies gain a monopoly in the insurance sector if they decides to buy health insurance to cover citizens. If the government decides to buy health insurance off one company (such as VHI) then that company would effectively gain a monopoly over the health insurance sector and destroy competition. This company would be free to charge as much as they like for health insurance premiums and basically increase government spending. You could see a knock on effect with the way other companies charge for other forms of insurance too. In effect, the government will be just putting more money into the back pockets of crooks (for use of a better word) - similar circumstances helped get us into the economic mess we're in now.

If there were several companies who offer health insurance in Ireland, then the cost of the premiums would be reduced by competition and make it affordable for people to buy it.

This is why I believe healthcare should be regarded as a privilege, not a right (entitlement). If people can't afford health insurance then maybe there should be some sort of charity organisation to help people pay for it or just some sort of means tested government grant scheme to help people buy health insurance off the insurance company of their choice (grant receivers choice that it).

Should Healthcare be an Entitlement or a Privilege? 135 votes

Entitlement
    0% 0 votes
    Privilege
    100% 135 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

How about adding your own opinion to get us started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

mikemac wrote: »
    How about adding your own opinion to get us started

Why should I? I want to know what people think?

mikemac, who cares... You're just following a tired trend of people attackin an OP for not posting an extra line with what they think.

I think the state should be responsible.. It means the rich subsidize the poor's health through higher taxation. I wouldn't call it an entitlement though..
    I'm not entitled to healthcare just because I was born, but it's definitely one of the things a proper society should be built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why should I? I want to know what people think?

This is why you should.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63152622&postcount=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

It should be a right, i would even go so far as to refuse to go private, even though i can afford it, to make my point that everyone should be entitled to healthcare in this country, i know there will always be a two tier system, you will never get rid of private health insurance, because no matter how good the public system is, there will be people who can afford to have better, but the state of public healthcare should be a whole lot higher than it is right now

• Advertisement

super-rush wrote: »

But how can one possibly give an opinion on a topic that's alien them? Seen as "Healthcare" should potentially be an important issue to people and After Hours is the largest and most active forum on this site it would be the best place to get a diverse opinion on the topic so I felt it fitting to post here. Anyway, the issue of giving an opinion in the OP is off-topic, I'll be moving it to the "How's our driving. Time for feedback" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

/awaits Killer Pideon's moving of the thread. :p

The-Rigger wrote: »
    /awaits Killer Pideon's moving of the thread. :p

Did I say I was going to be moving the thread? (I think that I would understand how things work after a year on boards). I'll be "moving" (for use of a better work) the discussion in relation to the charter super-rush alluded to to "Hows our driving. Time for feedback" thread. Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Entitlement. What are you going to do with generally sick people who can't afford health insurance - watch them die?

I also think it should be one-tier, but better quality. Everyone gets the same treatment. Why should you get better simply because you earn more money? Does this make you a better person, somehow?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Its a privilege.
    You are entitled to nothing except the opportunity to earn a privilege. You are not entitled to someone else (though they may voluntarily choose to to) giving you something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Its a privilege.
    You are entitled to nothing except the opportunity to earn a privilege. You are not entitled to someone else (though they may voluntarily choose to to) giving you something.

If all men were born equal, I may agree with you. But that not being the case, I don't.

How do you feel about mentally handicapped children? Same? **** 'em if they can't earn a priviledge or contribute to society? Godwin's Law is prepared and ready for launching...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It should be a right, i would even go so far as to refuse to go private, even though i can afford it,

Sure you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

The smell of cranky in here! :p

Look, we're going to complain about whatever system is in place. Surely we can copy another small country that actually has one that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Gigabytes

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Entitlement. What are you going to do with generally sick people who can't afford health insurance - watch them die?

I also think it should be one-tier, but better quality. Everyone gets the same treatment. Why should you get better simply because you earn more money? Does this make you a better person, somehow?

One tier I agree, when the rich and elite have to use the same healthcare hospitals and facilities as the poorest in society, then we will see a better healthcare system for the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I believe its one of the most basic human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

I think basic healthcare should be an undeniable right, but perhaps non-basic (cosmetic surgery, private rooms etc.. springing to mind) is a privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anyway, the issue of giving an opinion in the OP is off-topic, I'll be moving it to the "How's our driving. Time for feedback" thread.

Judging by that post, I think it's obvious you're still on your provisional license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

How do you feel about mentally handicapped children? Same?QUOTE]

Yes, the same. But the humanity in most of us means we choose to help them and have a society that does provide healthcare to those who cannot do so for themselves - even though they have no entitlement to it.
    If all men were born equal, I may agree with you. But that not being the case, I don't.QUOTE]
    There is no entitlement to be born equal, nor to to then have that inequality equalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A privilege me arse. Some kid with leukaemia and healthcare is a privilege?

Problem though is some conditions are self inflicted - that's where things get a bit ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Entitlement.

Money shouldn't come between health and illness/death.

Out of all the things that the taxpayers money goes on, health should be at or near the top of the priority list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I think basic healthcare should be an undeniable right, but perhaps non-basic (cosmetic surgery, private rooms etc.. springing to mind) is a privilege.

Dunno one could make a case for cosmetic surgery for burns victims or those born with a severe deformity or disfigurement.

On the other hand Im not convinced that fertility treatments should be the near automatic entitlement it seems to be (In Britain anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    On the other hand Im not convinced that fertility treatments should be the near automatic entitlement it seems to be (In Britain anyway)
    On what basis might one argue that healthcare is a basic right yet fertility treatment is not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

"Healthcare" is too broad a term for a simple yes or no, it goes all the way from CPR to psychology for problems that would seem trivial to a lot of us, through cosmetic surgery for disfigurements or the same cosmetic surgery for enhancements, plus many other treatments, some of it requiring value judgments or medical judgments on likely effectiveness, choices about organ receipt etc.

drkpower wrote: »
    On what basis might one argue that healthcare is a basic right yet fertility treatment is not?

Infertility has never actually killed anyone to the best of my knowledge.

Infertility has never actually killed anyone to the best of my knowledge.
    Are you suggesting therefore, that the only form of healthcare that should be an entitlement, is healthcare that prevents death?

^ No

^ No
    Can you clarify what you mean then?

Your reasoning for fertility treatment not being an entitlement is because 'Infertility has never actually killed anyone'. Do you use a different rationale for other treatments? And if so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

With all the money that the state has made us owe then yes i think healthcare should be a right, esp going by the seriousness/how important the health situation/illness is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Do believe that healthcare is a entitlement or a privilege?

Should each person just buy health insurance or should the state cover the costs of healthcare?

Question posing: An Entitlement or a Privilege? - Discuss

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The problem with universal healthcare is that it stifles innovation and actually makes things cost more in the long run. Everyone looks to America as some sort of example of capitalist healthcare but it's no such thing, the insurance industry is a cartel which fixes prices and generally makes health insurance more expensive.

99% of the innovation in medicine comes from the US market though and that's no coincidence, it's also the most lucrative market.

I think a good example of true competition in this area is something like laser eye surgery. No insurance company would pay for it, so since it was coming out of the consumer's own pocket there was true competition. What started out costing over €7,000 now can cost under a €1,000, very few examples like that when the state or an insurance company is paying.

As much as I think it is the duty of any civilised society to protect its most vunerable (and that documentary Sicko makes for really uncomfortable watching), do I really want to be paying the ever increasing healthcare costs of people who eat crap, smoke and drink heavily?

Advertisement