Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iPlayer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thlint

Try tor network with browser mgeni -- should work if you indicate england as your location

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

joeyamg wrote: »
    Looked at various ways of doing this, best free way I've found for getting iplayer to work:

Step 1: Download and install the latest stable release of Tor using the default options. Run setup and make sure you're connected to the network. Green onion will appear in system tray if it is working ok.

Step 2: Download and install mgeni, it's a browser that uses the Tor network to allow you to choose what country you want to route through.

Little bit slow loading webpages (maybe turn off image loading) but video feed is perfect (I've only got a 7mb connection). Much easier than messing with foxy proxy or whatever else.

*Doesn't work for hulu unfortunately

Hulu works ok for me on it and tried PBS which was slow loading but then worked fine.

thlint wrote: »
    Try tor network with browser mgeni -- should work if you indicate england as your location

Works grand for Iplayer but I couldn't get live BBC to work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Use foxyproxy and download a UK proxy from here http://hidemyass.com/proxy-list/

very hit and miss tho

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You could also create an entry in your router's routing table to redirect anything in the BBC IP range out over a VPN interface.

Means that you don't have to go turning stuff on and off, and it just works for the sites you want. Also means it works on devices which traditionally don't support VPNs such as the Wii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Jonathan wrote: »
    You could also create an entry in your router's routing table to redirect anything in the BBC IP range out over a VPN interface.

Means that you don't have to go turning stuff on and off, and it just works for the sites you want. Also means it works on devices which traditionally don't support VPNs such as the Wii.

Sounds interesting, is there a step for step guide for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

Not sure when it will come, but on my iPhone on the BBC website, there was an add that iPlayer is coming soon for Worldwide use. I signed up to be informed so will have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

I want to watch iPlayer within XBMC. Is there anybody using a paid proxy? I'm looking for a good deal. Can't seem to find many.

Overplay is good value at $9.95 per month which is only around €6.97
    https://www.overplay.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Jonathan wrote: »

Tell us more, please. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 mattfink

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sounds interesting, is there a step for step guide for this?
    Tell us more, please. :)

It is actually really simple, but you'll need a configurable router such as OpenWrt or DD-WRT.

Set up a VPN between your router and the UK VPN, be it with OpenVPN, PPTP or VPN over SSH.

Then simply add a routing table entry to route all traffic bound for the BBC network out over your VPN interface.
    route add -net 212.58.224.0/19 gw 10.8.0.1 dev tun0

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rhubar

BBC Worldwide player launched today - although you have to pay unfortunately.

http://blogs.bbcworldwide.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

www.tunnelbear.com

this works for iplayer and hulu

you get 500MB free per month- you can get up to a 1gb free if you tweet about the service.

they hope to bring out apps for smart phones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

Rhubar wrote: »

and you need an ipad or iphone:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Are the UK Mgeni servers working for people? US seems fine but I can't get anything to load at all when I connect via a UK IP.

Same here can't get anything either.

Back working again.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rhubar wrote: »

Bit on the expensive side tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If you subscribe on the iPad to the BBC iplayer for €6.99 for the month and download episodes do you then still have the downloads the following month if you don't subscribe again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Tor is not for streaming TV, use one of the several alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Tor is not for streaming TV, use one of the several alternatives.
    No, but it works and is free. AFAIK, none of the alternatives are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem is that Tor exists to provide unrestricted internet access to those who don't have it. all the bandwidth that Tor uses is donated by it's users worldwide so every time someone uses it, they are leeching off other users in another location.

all well and good if you're using it to update a free speech blog from behind the great firewall of china, but (morally speaking at least) it's somewhat questionable to be draining available bandwidth from it to stream episodes of eastenders over the bbc iplayer that you might have missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

vibe666 wrote: »
    the problem is that Tor exists to provide unrestricted internet access to those who don't have it. all the bandwidth that Tor uses is donated by it's users worldwide so every time someone uses it, they are leeching off other users in another location.

all well and good if you're using it to update a free speech blog from behind the great firewall of china, but (morally speaking at least) it's somewhat questionable to be draining available bandwidth from it to stream episodes of eastenders over the bbc iplayer that you might have missed.
    Yes. I'm not suggesting it's entirely ethical, just pointing out that it technically works, and that a huge amount of people do it - including myself for the odd snooker match that I miss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Anyone know if Rte can be watched outside Ireland by some kind of expat shield for Ireland? All Ireland final coming up

http://www.magnet.ie/ will let you watch but don't know if it works outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

[offtopic]I thought that the GAA games were available worldwide on the RTE Player website [/offtopic]

I stried using the Expat Shield & couldn't get it to work on any browsers - so went back to Mgeni & Tor for the BBC iPlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just as an FYI, the guys at expatshield are aware of the iplayer issues and are working on a fix. i found out as i 'liked' them on facebook and they posted an update.

if you're interested it would be worth keeping an eye out for the fix being announced.

http://www.facebook.com/expatshield

altho they just posted another update to say they have it fixed about an hour ago. :)

EDIT: yep, expat shield is working fine for me on upc so you can leave tor to the oppressed masses so they can catch up on eastenders. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kevinsheehan

Have downloaded TOR Browser and Mgeni
    I run and establish Tor as working and connected
    When I run Mgeni it returns with the message "Polipo privacy proxy not running"

Any ideas folks ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Have downloaded TOR Browser and Mgeni
    I run and establish Tor as working and connected
    When I run Mgeni it returns with the message "Polipo privacy proxy not running"

Any ideas folks ?
    Same problem here....

Advertisement