Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iPlayer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

thlint wrote: »
    I have downloaded this link activated hotshield but iplayer (TV) seems to think I am not from England (good guess) but with TOR and Mgeni it thinks I am from England (much better guess from my point of view).

Maybe I have done something wrong with the anchor. Also TOR and Mgeni are open source which to mind is a better option. (All things been equal

Yes i agree i much prefer Tor and Mgeni myself. There seems to be too many pop ups from anchorfree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I am going mad, could somebody explain how to get Mgeni working?? Tor is connected fine I have the green onion but in the Mgeni browser the little blue location button does nothing when I press it.. help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

When you open Mgeni, do you get a message that Tor is working fine?

Just click the Globe beside the address bar and choose UK, then go to Google.com and sit should direct you to Google.co.uk.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    When you open Mgeni, do you get a message that Tor is working fine?

Just click the Globe beside the address bar and choose UK, then go to Google.com and sit should direct you to Google.co.uk.

Yes it says that its connected. Thats the problem, when I click the globe nothing happens, the button depresses but no menu to select a country appears. :(:(

Yes it says that its connected. Thats the problem, when I click the globe nothing happens, the button depresses but no menu to select a country appears. :(:(

I would say, uninstall and try downloading them both again.

Mine worked first time.

• Advertisement

Doing that now, thanks!

Argh..... still the same problem. Tried an older version of Mgeni and also running in compatiblity mode but no. :confused:

Edit: Working now on another PC. Did the exact same thing but it just worked.. Pfff computers..

Argh..... still the same problem. Tried an older version of Mgeni and also running in compatiblity mode but no. :confused:

Can't understand that.

I used the same download links, very odd :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thlint

Just replying to a question on using mgeni
    When mgeni starts it says checking tor then it will say tor working etc etc
    When you press the round blue button beside on the tool bar at the end of the web address space a UK flag will appear if you choose UK.
    If this does not happen --maybe reload mgeni or download again. I have checked this with XP pro.

thlint wrote: »
    Just replying to a question on using mgeni
    When mgeni starts it says checking tor then it will say tor working etc etc
    When you press the round blue button beside on the tool bar at the end of the web address space a UK flag will appear if you choose UK.
    If this does not happen --maybe reload mgeni or download again. I have checked this with XP pro.

Yea I downloaded the most recent version twice and the version before it too.. none would work on Vista laptop, transferred the same install files to identical Vista desktop and it worked no problem.. :confused: Thanks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I had not used Tor / Mgeni in a while now.

I went to look at some iPlayer last night and all i get is a blank space where the video should be.

I am running Flash 10.1.85.3 .

I checked UTV Player and the video plays, but as before very juddery.

Could you guys check Mgeni and see if it plays ok or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Just checked mine and it's playing fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

BigMoose wrote: »
    Just checked mine and it's playing fine...

Computer's eh!

It works when i right click on the black screen and press "reload".

Very weird as the same issue on my desktop and two laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

When I use Tor and Mgeni for iplayer I can watch prerecorded shows but if I try live bbc tv I just get an error saying "The content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later". This follows the question re tv license. Anyone else get this issue and any workaround ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

jaykay74 wrote: »
    When I use Tor and Mgeni for iplayer I can watch prerecorded shows but if I try live bbc tv I just get an error saying "The content doesn't seem to be working. Try again later". This follows the question re tv license. Anyone else get this issue and any workaround ?
    I've never been able to solve this either - BBC iPlayer worked fine, but when I wanted to watch live snooker broadcasts the same error popped up every time.

Maybe they detect and refuse to stream to proxies on the live feeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

zynaps wrote: »
    I've never been able to solve this either - BBC iPlayer worked fine, but when I wanted to watch live snooker broadcasts the same error popped up every time.

Damn, live tv such as rugby would be my main use of iplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 KidTwists

zynaps wrote: »

As far as I can tell this is the case, the live streams won't work with Tor/Mgeni etc. But there is another solution, google Tiiveni and hopefully
    that will solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

I dont know if its been mentioned in the thread but I use Expat shield to watch the iplayer, really easy to use and works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I also use expat shield it gives you a UK IP address.so far i've had no issues with anything on it can always watch what i want etc .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

would i still be able to use RTE player with expat shield, (sorry if the question has been asked)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

would i still be able to use RTE player with expat shield, (sorry if the question has been asked)

Not when Expat Shield is connected, all you have to do is use it when you want to access uk content and disconnect it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

jay93 wrote: »
    I also use expat shield it gives you a UK IP address.so far i've had no issues with anything on it can always watch what i want etc .:)

same here expat shield works perfecto never had a problem either and it's fast as hell. I have used loads of other programs before but they were just way way too slow but this one expat shield is free from cnet and will sort all that out good. :D another thing is magnet here in ireland give you 5 free channels to watch live you just have to register free and go into your e-mail and verify your e-mail you get rte 1/rte 2/tv3/tng/ and e3 with great quality. it's about time someone done it here and you can watch them channels on magnet no matter what isp you use only in ireland though. PS. one tip though' when you install expat shield don't install the toolbar it is a pain in the f&$$$%&^%$%%. just a heads up. it will work perfect without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

thanks expat shield works great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I use hidemyass.com to watch iplayer..I used to use expat shield but I didnt like the way it hijacks your homepage and installs a toolbar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

LaVail wrote: »
    I use hidemyass.com to watch iplayer..I used to use expat shield but I didnt like the way it hijacks your homepage and installs a toolbar etc.

when your installing expat shield it gives you the option not to install the toolbar and to change your home page IIRC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Downloaded Expat shield but it couldn't connect to the internet. I've now uninstalled it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Yorky wrote: »
    Downloaded Expat shield but it couldn't connect to the internet. I've now uninstalled it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I downloaded that and ended up having to reinstall Windows7. Spam that came with it totally messed up my system.

I'm back to using Mgeni & Tor.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Downloaded it and it works fine for me on windows xp. The annoying thin is that it does randomly turn itself on every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I downloaded this and avast said it was full of crap, so I'm back to using Mgeni & Tor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

jaykay74 wrote: »

Thanks.

I get that using Tor and Mgeni as well but Expat shield will allow you to watch live BBC

Advertisement