Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Village

Options
  • 03-06-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Whats Thomond Village like ppl? just booked it. is it far from the college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

is it far from the college?

It's about 10-15 minutes walk from the college, although they have a shuttle bus service going regularly (something like every 20 or 25mins I think)

That's about all I can help you with - I don't know much else since I've only went out there a couple of times :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 twinkletoes89

i lived there for 3 years!!! manangment are pure dopes and it is really strict on allowing people in and a lot of the apartments in ****.. but its handy enough.. i wouldnt live there again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭velvet1989

load of friends lived there 2007 2008 2009 2010 and its gone downhill every year

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Try un-book, if at all possible. The place is like a military compound down there. you'd be better off renting a house between a few of ye - closer to college, cheaper, and you don't have to sign people in whenever your mates want to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭velvet1989

yeah if ya want im in a house currently and moving out theres like 5 rooms to rent its literally 2 secs away from lit and a double room is 240 a month...give ya the details if your intersted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 AStranger

Horrible place to live. Staff are unhelpful and inconsiderate. Avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Alanj123456789

Thomond village

Has since 1st of June 2011 come under new management, the entire complex is currently being refurbished & more modern finishes.

The shuttle bus will run through out the year as usual etc facilities, but there will be a totally different atmosphere in the complex this year.

We welcome any comments you may have or ideas you may have to improve the college experience in Thomond village, for example we are setting up a social club for evening entertainement.

An election will take place the first week of the semester to elect a student entertainments office (A PAID POSITION) who can organise events throughout the year anybody intrested in applying let us know
    through our website.

Regards

The New Management Company

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

Thomond village

Has since 1st of June 2011 come under new management, the entire complex is currently being refurbished & more modern finishes.

The shuttle bus will run through out the year as usual etc facilities, but there will be a totally different atmosphere in the complex this year.

We welcome any comments you may have or ideas you may have to improve the college experience in Thomond village, for example we are setting up a social club for evening entertainement.

An election will take place the first week of the semester to elect a student entertainments office (A PAID POSITION) who can organise events throughout the year anybody intrested in applying let us know
    through our website.

Regards

Do you have any photos of the refurbishment? What are the different prices on rent this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Thomond village

through our website.

Regards

Any photos of the refurbishment? Will prices remain the same or will there be a drop? Are you re-doing the internet network or keeping the one you already have? Finally, what will the new policy on non-resident access be? Access for non residents in the past was an extreme hassle and having your mates over depended on how much of a prick the guy at the front gate was feeling, which is ridiculous for a student village.

Our website is currently being updated so hoping to have pictures of new furnishing etc up later today.

Price will remain the same even though the entire comlex is being refurbished.

Internet network has is currently being upgraded to ensure greater speeds and reliability.

Non residents may visit the complex during 8am - 8pm, any guest after these hours (or staying over) will just need to be signed in by the responsible residents at the reception desk (which will be manned 24hrs a day) more so for a safety point of view than anything (fire alarm, insurance etc). We will have no problem with small gatherings etc once prior notice is given and a sensible approach is carried out by all involved.
    We will get to know every student over the first few weeks and try and accomodate individual requests.

We want all students to enjoy their time here and anybody who can take care of their apartment will be given as much scope as possible to do so.

If you would like to call the office to discuss any items which we can improve before the college year begin please feel free.

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Alan, you seem to be representing thomond. When are you returning last years deposit.

2 stroke, just give the office a call during the day and it will be sorted out for you asp if it hasnt been already

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

I booked an apartment at Thomond Village for next year , all the apartments were being done up when I was down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Just wondering, would they allow part-time students to live in thomond village or any other student accommodation near LIT? Or is it only for Full-time LIT students?

doovdela - Just contact our office and we will do whatever we can to accomodate you
    <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

alanj123456789,

while i appreciate you trying to help students, phone numbers are not allowed here.

please feel free to send a pm to the member with your number, but refrain from advertising or posting contact details on the forum.

doovela

Just contact the office and we will do our best to accomodate your request.

doovela, we will do our best to accomodate you

royalmarine apologise didnt relaise

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ashthegreat

Mod

This poster claims to have had a bad experience with Thomond Village.

• Advertisement

Hi,

My Name is Ash and i am writing this email to warn all students about staying in Thomond Village in -old cratloe road-Caherdavin. I stayed there for 1 academic year from 09/2016- 05/2017. Till this date i haven't got my deposit which is 299 euros (9 euros as the rest of the last installment). :

The place was very dirty and a lot of things were broken, the water heater, the shower head, the TV, the couch, the oven was over heating stuff to the extreme so basically you cannot bake anything in it unless you wanna burn it.

the whole village (over 70 person) run on only two washing machines and two dryers, which is ridiculous. Good luck trying to wash your clothes and drying them in the weekend.

the whole village use ONE Freakin Broken and uncleaned Hover/Vacuum.

On top of that they don't tell you when someone new come to the apartment, and the new person could use the charged electricity and then just leave. not to mention the fact that it is creeby.

they fix the broken stuff after they take over the deposit from victims like me. although i left the place the way it was, hell i even cleaned the place before leaving.

they will stall and ignore you when you try to get back your deposit. and again i left the apartment on its original state. i never party there, broke anything or did anything wrong or abusive to that place.

As for the Head of Accommodation Department in LIT they denied having any responsibility towards the student village declaring that they "ONLY REFER" student to that village. so basically they will not help with anything and they will block you, just like my case.

The head of student union also didn't take any responsibility towards the situation.

This year they raised up the rent to be 500 euros per month, god only knows why and the deposit which you will never get to 300 euros. so basically it is a rip off and you will get the ****tiest service you will ever get in your whole entire life. they use their location as an excuse for their prices. taking advantage of students.

Again i am warning everybody to stay away from that place and look for other accommodations around the area.

Kindest Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Mars Bar: who ever you are should not have edited my post. at least you should have consulted me before removing every thing before removing my

You should only be posting once man, no need to put in several posts for the same post, its not allowed on boards. I look after some accommodation houses in Dublin and I always advise those that come to view to stay clear of campus style accommodation or accommodation similar to yours with blocks of apartments, they always have an excuse to rip people off with additional charges.

I am not tarnishing this particular site/company but the very fact that you cant see the price rates tells me everything. The FAQ section is a laugh altogether.

https://unineststudents.ie/locations/dublin/new-mill/#change-contact-right

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

ashthegreat.

Stop spamming the thread. As the moderator of the forum I can edit if I deem it to be so. I have also removed the picture of the receipt as it displays your real name. I will leave your review up as a warning to others.

Don't be displaying stuff that might affect any legal case further down the line for yourself.

Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You need to put something in writing requesting your deposit back and you need to request a written response as to why you did not get your deposit back.

Taking it out on the Students Union and LIT is the wrong approach if there is no link between the College and the student village. A college could refer you to the student village but the onus is on you to do your own do diligence, your own research etc before accepting accommodation.

*Did you post here previously making inquiries about the accommodation
    *Did you take any photos before moving in
    *Have you got a written response already regarding why they wont give it back
    *Take it as a learning for your next accommodation, do your own research first.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Mod

ashthegreat.

Stop spamming the thread. As the moderator of the forum I can edit if I deem it to be so. I have also removed the picture of the receipt as it displays your real name. I will leave your review up as a warning to others.

Don't be displaying stuff that might affect any legal case further down the line for yourself.

Mars Bar
    1- i am not spamming and i got no interest in doing so.
    2- just because you are the moderator doesn't give you the right to trash any post of victims like me, i am student and i already on a very limited budget and i cannot afford to pay extra fees.
    3- i am getting the feeling that you are defending them. i really don't understand why you edited my previous post??!!! you gave no reason for doing that aside of "I am the moderate" which is not a valid reason.

James 007 wrote: »
    You need to put something in writing requesting your deposit back and you need to request a written response as to why you did not get your deposit back.

Taking it out on the Students Union and LIT is the wrong approach if there is no link between the College and the student village. A college could refer you to the student village but the onus is on you to do your own do diligence, your own research etc before accepting accommodation.

*Did you post here previously making inquiries about the accommodation
    *Did you take any photos before moving in
    *Have you got a written response already regarding why they wont give it back
    *Take it as a learning for your next accommodation, do your own research first.

1- Alas i didn't do any kind of research about that village as it is has been recommended by the head of accommodation of LIT.
    2- I seeked the help of the head of the accommodation center. she is the one who send me to thomond village. in the first place
    3- the student union is suppose to defend powerless student like me.
    4- alas, i didn't take any pictures before getting accommodated by them.
    5- i files a dispute against thomond village and RTB (residential Tenancies Board) is taking care of that, though it is been 4 months and god only knows when will they do something and get me back my money.
    6- Thomond village stopped answering my emails and they avoid me, later on i will post a screenshot of last email that they send me saying that they are "hoping that the transaction will be processed at the end of June".
    7- i even called the police "Garda" and she lied right straight to the police face saying that there are problems with the apartment and it is taking more than usual because of that " claiming that she informed me of the situation" which is a big fat lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mod

Clearly you have not read the charter which is against the site rules.
    If you have a problem with a post, complain to the mods. Do not respond to the post in question.
    The moderators will not discuss their moderating in threads. Either PM the moderators, or take it to the feedback forum.

I edited your previous post because without proof then Boards can be open to defamatory.

This is the end of it now and any more arguing with the moderator will result in an infraction.

/Mod

On a personal note, I don't feel any need to defend Thomond Village. I've never been in Thomond Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

What is Thomond village like these days please folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

There are many complaints about thomond that seem to have reasonable cause. However, I would like to hear from students who asked for repairs and were either ignored or were blamed for the damage ie Student complains about dampness mold on the walls management response "It is your own fault you do not heat or ventilate the apartment properly"

example B

" I cannot ventilate my room properly because despite Irish building regulations saying there must be adequate ventilation in the apartments, there is no ventilation grill in my room"

"your fault you should have inspected your room before you paid the rent for one year, and if you had inspected the room then you could have rejected the room because the vent was/is missing"

• Advertisement
Advertisement