Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"100% effective" male birth control

Options
  • 03-06-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭

The Revolutionary 100% Effective Birth Control For Men

By Emma Hutchings on June 2, 2011
    17 Reactions and 5 Comments

A new birth control method for men has been developed by scientists in India that has proven to be 100% effective. The injection, called RISUG (Reversible Inhibition of Sperm Under Guidance) works for 10 years with no side effects and is reversible with another injection. It works by injecting a non-toxic, positively charged polymer into the man’s body which makes them unable to fertilize an egg.

Phase III trials are starting in India, the last step before it is available for the public to use, and a private foundation called Parsemus is working to get it approved in the United States.
    Link here

It's an interesting idea, effectively implanting a spermicidal mechanism inside the penis, but I would be wary of just how true the claims of 100% efficacy are (hence the quotation marks in the title, no other reason). Also, while they say it works for up to 10 years, can they put a guaranteed lower/minimum bound on that too? Obviously it's never going to outright replace condoms either, due to the still present risk of STIs, and plenty of people will be hesitant at the idea of a needle inserted in their genitalia, but it's novel given that attention has traditionally focussed on hormonal birth control for men, in terms of medical research.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To be honest, that's not something I'd be interested in taking up.

I'd be curious though, does the injection have to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I remember they came close (no pun intended) to releasing (no pun intended) a male pill a couple of years back but it was a flop (no pun intended) and they pulled out (no pun intended) after the clinical trials because it didn't work on all participants.

I think there would be trust issues there as well.

"C'mon baby, I'm on the pill... Honest!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

To be honest, that's not something I'd be interested in taking up.

I'd be curious though, does the injection have to be there?

Why would you be against it? Is it the injection or something else? It's just an injection, they are not chopping it off!

If it was proven to be effective, it might be something I'd consider were I in a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"Keep that needle away from mah god-dayum penis!"

Sounds interesting for those in long term relationships. Of failry little use for bed hoppers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

From the website:
    and it could possibly even be appropriate for men who want child-spacing or young men who want to complete their schooling before having children.

Heh heh. At 28 my 'schooling' is fairly complete but I still don't want to have children...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why would you be against it? Is it the injection or something else? It's just an injection, they are not chopping it off!

If it was proven to be effective, it might be something I'd consider were I in a relationship.

I just don't like the idea of taking something to make me sterile, even if having the option to reverse it by taking something else.

I just don't like the idea of taking something to make me sterile, even if having the option to reverse it by taking something else.

Depends on where you are in life really. I'd never say never.

or young men who want to complete their schooling before having children.

IMO this strikes me as irresponsible. Gonna be a lot of sterile young dudes laced with STDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Keep that prick out of my prick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭28064212

From the sounds of it, it's essentially a much more effective spermicide, the only difference is that it's injected into the vas deferens, and is good for ten years. It's not making you sterile anymore than putting a condom on is making you sterile til you take it off.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    "Keep that needle away from mah god-dayum penis!"

Sounds interesting for those in long term relationships. Of failry little use for bed hoppers IMO.
    Don't know about that. Condoms would of course still be used, but I would much rather the peace of mind of a back-up, given "typical-use" condom failures.

I'd also much rather this than a girlfriend being on the pill. I've never been a fan of something that fundamentally alters a person's hormonal make-up. If this is as good as it sounds, I'll be definitely using it.

There is still a fair bit to go though, the wikipedia page has some more information, and it's been around since 2006. Hopefully this news means there's going to be some movement

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

IMO this strikes me as irresponsible. Gonna be a lot of sterile young dudes laced with STDs.

Not really their fault if they do though. It will almost certainly have a disclaimer about STDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

lol I'm not putting anything in my dick unless I have to. I'm actually amazed at how easily women were convinced to take the pill which plays havoc with their hormones. Not a chance would I take it if I was a woman.

I guess it's because the consequences of pregnancy are bigger for a woman so they have more motivation.

28064212 wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, it's essentially a much more effective spermicide, the only difference is that it's injected into the vas deferens, and is good for ten years. It's not making you sterile anymore than putting a condom on is making you sterile til you take it off.

i'm not weary of any effects, i just have no interest in temporialy putting the entire team on the bench. :p

saying that i am curious about the methods in which it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Naryclaire

SugarHigh wrote: »
    lol I'm not putting anything in my dick unless I have to. I'm actually amazed at how easily women were convinced to take the pill which plays havoc with their hormones. Not a chance would I take it if I was a woman.

I guess it's because the consequences of pregnancy are bigger for a woman so they have more motivation.

You hit the nail on the head. At the end of the day, you are never going to be saddled with a pregnancy you hadn't planned and no physcial means of walking away (not saying you would for a second now). I found the pill wreaked absolute havoc with my hormones, literally had me all over the shop, but my other option is leaving myself open for possible pregnancy, and that is just not an option to me. The negative aspects I found to be really really substantial, and they impacted considerably on my day-to-day life, but were hugely outweighed by the preventative aspects for me. Anyway, if you chop and change enough-and are vocal enough to your doctor, many of whom are fairly dismissive of the -hormonal thing-you should find one to suit, or at least another form of contracteption that'll do the job.

i'm not weary of any effects, i just have no interest in temporialy putting the entire team on the bench. :p
    Why? Seriously, I don't understand where you're coming from. You "put the entire team on the bench" when you put a condom on, this is just a more convenient, effective procedure

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Why? Seriously, I don't understand where you're coming from. You "put the entire team on the bench" when you put a condom on, this is just a more convenient, effective procedure

Not to be pedantic, but isn't using a condom like letting the team run down the tunnel only to spring a big net over them before they reach the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cocaine

This will never work. No man in their right mind would nuke their soldiers even be it temporarily. Girls should stick to the pill.
    Also half of all babies are accidents, so...

Not to be pedantic, but isn't using a condom like letting the team run down the tunnel only to spring a big net over them before they reach the pitch?
    Yeah, and then killing them. This is more like killing them as they're coming out of the dressing room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

You have to get the injection into your dick?

Not a chance would I get that done.

Yeah, and then killing them. This is more like killing them as they're coming out of the dressing room

actually... its more like locking the door.

but do i really have to justify my position just becuase it looks like in the pipeline it there is a solution that will become avail that will mean i wont be able to get someone pregnant (on a temporary basis)?

all i said was i have no interest in doing it myself, to get out of the way, that i have no issue with any reason that someone else would be interested in doing it for themselves.

although with that, i find the method behind how it's done interesting.

• Advertisement

actually... its more like locking the door.
    No, that's a vasectomy. The players still get on to the pitch, they just can't play.
    but do i really have to justify my position just becuase it looks like in the pipeline it there is a solution that will become avail that will mean i wont be able to get someone pregnant (on a temporary basis)?

all i said was i have no interest in doing it myself, to get out of the way, that i have no issue with any reason that someone else would be interested in doing it for themselves.
    Justifying your position the point of a discussion. I'm just trying to understand what your position is

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    You have to get the injection into your dick?

Not a chance would I get that done.

They are not taking a hatchet to it, you'll survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I would seriously consider getting this done. I don't like the thought of an accidental pregnancy removing all control and choice in my life so having a lot more protection against that without the invasiveness and permanency of a vasectomy is appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think bodybuilders are temporarily infertile whilst using steroids. Their testicles don't actually shrink as is commonly stated - they just stop producing sperm which take up a considerable amount of space in the adult testicle.

If they made a male pill based on this it would be so typically male. Plays havoc with your hormones alright but in such a manner that instead of making you fat and moody you become lean and horny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I can see the plus sides to it for sure.

Obviously it is not going to protect against STDs and the like, but if a couple didn't want to get pregnant and didn't like to use condoms or her take the pill, then for sure it seems a good option.

For men who doubt that their wives or girlfriends are being 100% honest with them about taking the Pill, it is also an option for them without having to make that obvious by sticking on a condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Tbh, if I were a dude, I wouldn't do it til the little "the effect the chemical has on sperm is not completely understood" (wiki quote) matter is cleared up..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's going ahead in India. It has to be done from scratch in the USA, and a lot of progress has been made. It's called RISUG in India, but not in the USA. IN the USA, it'll be called "Vasalgel".

Read the entire article here: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/04/ff_vasectomy/all/1

DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO if you just had lunch :P

Also worht noting:
    While an antidepressant would be considered a success if it worked in 75 percent of patients, a contraceptive like RISUG will be compared to a conventional vasectomy, which works more than 99 percent of the time. Furthermore, it has to be free from the serious side effects that were common with early experimental hormone-based male contraceptives

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

"Reversible Inhibition of Sperm Under Guidance"

- this means they give you a kick in the goolies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

No, that's a vasectomy. The players still get on to the pitch, they just can't play.

So basically they remove the ball from the pitch?

*Pun very much intended.

• Advertisement

WeeBushy wrote: »
    So basically they remove the ball from the pitch?

*Pun very much intended.

They take the air out of your balls.....:pac:

Advertisement