Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 30-05-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey guys,

On a recent night out I had a bit too much to drink and the police where called. The officers at the sceen told me to move but I didnt. I was then arrested for Drunk and Disorderly. HOwever after being put in the car I was drove around the block and let go without any charges. Now I think I may have been given a caution however I am unsure. Is there any way in which I can check to see if I did or not or if i was just given a stern telling off since it was my Birthday.

Also if i did receive a caution what way do they work. Will it affect my future chances at joining or for my second career being a school teacher. I am soo stupid potentially throwing everything away after one stupid night.

Thanks Slimm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Psni will prob be the best person to answer your question.

Although it's best to avoid the long arm of the law, I don't think a caution will stop you passing your vetting. Unless you had a history of cautions etc, that could work you.

A caution is just a ticking off, you haven't been charged or found guilty of a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sounds like a stern telling-off as opposed to a full blown caution , that said I would agree with Gee's advice to see what psni says.
    It's my understanding that a full caution would not be administered ' on the street ' but rather would be done down the station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Were your details taken like name, address and so on? You can go down to your nearest station and ask whether your details are on the computer if you can't remember what happened.

You can also ask if there are any details involving you of an incident on the date in question at the location in question, and what has been recorded as the outcome. Just say you can't remember what happened because it was your birthday and you celebrated a little too much.

Bring photographic ID with you as well just to prove you are who you claim you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 slimmboyfat

Ok,

So basically it loks as if it was a stern telling off as Cautions cannot normally be given in a street or back of a car?..... I hope that it was just a telling off as I think any type of record on PNC can damage my chances of joining or possibly becoming a teacher.

Also PSNI can it be any police station?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yeah any police station as long as you have ID with you. They'll just ask you a few questions about the incident and if they can't give you answers there and then, they'll refer you to the station of the person who can.

Sounds like you just got a bit of a telling off though.

• Advertisement

Ya never know Slimboyfat - maybe it was psni who gave you the telling-off :D

I was too busy laughing at this.

Move the mouse over to the left because it will be auto-resized to fit your browser. Hit the magnifying glass when it's over any part of the picture until you can read the first picture, and then start slowly scrolling down...

Hopefully that is all it is... I suppose ill find out tomorrow... Although I can safely say that Im going to become a pioneer.

Can a full caution be given in the street or the back of the car??

Can a full caution be given in the street or the back of the car??
    No. Not at all. The whole thing has to be recorded. There has to be an interview and all the usual stuff you'd expect.

Ok Thanks PSNI

I was jus really worrying as I had put soo much work and effort into getting where I am and i did not want to put it all to waste due to one drunken night.

Would you still consider going to a station and asking... and what exactly is it I would have to ask??

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Thankfully I went down to nearest Station today and asked could they check to see what happened.

They checked and said although the offence was recorded as a call out no further action was taken. However there was an officer standing beside me at the reception and asked what had happened. He took me into an interivew room, custody cells etc etc to show me where I would have ended up if he had been called out, and all the possible implication it could have on my career.

I think it was safe to say that it scared the S**T out of me and I wont be drinking for a long time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

You got a free ride in the back of a cop car and a tour around the station?? I would almost be tempted to try my luck with some borderline drunk & disorderly next time I'm out if I thought that was what would come from it :D

Atleast you came out of it clean with no black marks against your name for the future. With the vetting process being so secretive I'm sure it's a worry for any of us that something really minor could possibly affect your chances. I know I've had my car reg recorded a couple of times when I was younger being in places I probably shouldn't have been :rolleyes: even though I severly doubt it would affect anything, it's always a wee thought that it'll pop up on a search somehow (should I ever actually get to vetting ofcourse...)

Most important thing is not to forget that the vast majority of failed vettings that I am aware of result from Fixed Penalties and other minor road traffic stuff.

Trust me those 5 minutes of waiting to hear the outcome was the worst 5 minutes I have ever been through. The women at the desk thought I was about to cry... And trust me I was close to it!

Delancey wrote: »
    Most important thing is not to forget that the vast majority of failed vettings that I am aware of result from Fixed Penalties and other minor road traffic stuff.

Due to people not disclosing them or simply because they have them?
    I was always under the impression that the minor things that even the best of us could find ourselves with on a really bad day were normally grand so long as you didn't try to hide it? And if you didn't have a track record of them ofcourse...

Heh...least you learned a lesson slimmyboy if nothing else :D

Main thing slim is that you're in the clear , you had a close shave but no harm done and you'll live to fight another day.

Due to people not disclosing them or simply because they have them?
    I was always under the impression that the minor things that even the best of us could find ourselves with on a really bad day were normally grand so long as you didn't try to hide it? And if you didn't have a track record of them ofcourse...

Heh...least you learned a lesson slimmyboy if nothing else :D

Nothing will sink a vetting quicker than failing to disclose stuff but plenty of people disclose everything and still fail on what I would consider minor traffic stuff . 2 or 3 fixed penalties can sink you.
    Parking tickets have come back to haunt people :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Oh bugger, I take it my ballixed Credit Rating could come back and bite me on the ass in the future then!!!

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Oh bugger, I take it my ballixed Credit Rating could come back and bite me on the ass in the future then!!!

Not nescessarily . Due to the lack of transparency in the vetting process it is difficult to give definitive answers but as far as can be told it would seem that a less than spotless credit rating is not cause to fail vetting - many people have fretted over missed Student Loan or Credit Card payments and have still got the fabled ' call ' to Garnerville .

Unsatisfied ( i.e. unpaid ) CCJ's or an Undischarged Bankruptcy is a potentially serious issue however.
    I suspect IVA's in force could be a problem too.

Advertisement