Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online scrabble cheating!!

Options
  • 27-05-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

A friend let me play his online scrabble, which was good fun, except what dictionary does the computer use? It cheats, that's what!

Paire isn't a word, and Cundy? The mind boggles!
    It gave itself Hoove, which is neither behoven or a retrofitted hoof or a broken vacuum cleaner.
    I couldn't locate Dwuam or Octrois.
    Mona is a geographical name, since when are places allowed?
    Zoon is not a word either, just a suffix.
    Walling seems to be following the american trend of turning a noun into a verb and it's not in the dictionary yet.
    It gave itself Ops, op and Mun (abbreviations) and also Paolo and Ennuye.
    It adores obscure scottish words, that only an ancient scots hermit would remember, and Prog would you believe is a word first used in 1655 in some godforsaken dialect for food.

Then to further insult, it wouldn't accept rape and another word I forgot to note down. I wonder had I the letters for rapeseed, would it have accepted the word?
    Bloody machines, just can't trust them!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,492 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What dictionary did you use? Some of those words are listed on various dictionaries here:

http://www.onelook.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I used my own Chambers and the online Merriam-Webster, with occasional forays into the Cambridge.
    I still say they are cheating. If they insist on using words that are dial. or arch. they will be in the normal dictionaries, as obscure and disused as they may be and I can't have a problem with that.
    If they are using words from obscure dictionaries that pop up on your link then an after-christmas-dinner scrabble player like me hasn't a hope. Just because a sound rhymes with another doesn't make it a real word either.
    I found octrois though, it is a french or italian tax on imports. So what is it doing in an english dictionary? Fine as a reference, but it isn't an english word.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,492 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

All of those words (and rape) are allowed on the Collins Official Scrabble Checker except Dwuam. Dwaum is allowed, maybe you got the spelling wrong in your rage against the machine:)

http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/free-scrabble-dictionary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It most likely uses the SOWPODS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOWPODS) word list which is the official word list for Scrabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Scrabble - Play Hard or Go Home

• Advertisement
Advertisement