Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discount on official Saorview boxes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Ok, I'm out of the loop with this sort of thing.
    Can someone recommend a good one to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Moon54 wrote: »

Analogue switch off isn't until late 2012 so I wouldn't be in any rush. In the mean time there will have been many special offers in argos, tesco and plenty of extensive reviews. Heck your telly might even have blown up by then and been replaced by a saorview compatible one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Did you buy your current TV recently? If so you may not need the set top box as Saorview ready digital TV's have been on sale for the last couple of years. I bought one in the 2010 January sales that had the MPEG4 and have been using Saorview off the aeriel ever since they started it up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

paddyp wrote: »
    Analogue switch off isn't until late 2012 so I wouldn't be in any rush.

Ah, I see, thx for that.
    Yeah, I have a new TV and I'll check if it is compatible.
    If so, I believe all I'll need then is a TV3 aerial.
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Ah, I see, thx for that.

Wait one week, get a HD box from ALDI for €79.99:

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16976.htm :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

what is saorview? :confused:

danwhite88 wrote: »
    what is saorview? :confused:

it's a box that lets you view all UK free TV for free- the only catch is that it translates all the sound into Irish - new "Irish First" Regulation #69 issued by the Fine Gael / Labour coalition government on April 1. I thought that was common knowledge. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ah, I see, thx for that.

Just check the MENU on the remote. It should allow for automatic and manual storing of both analogue and digital channels. If it does automatic storing then do it for both analogue and digital and it will find the channels and store then for you in a minute or two.

marrm wrote: »
    it's a box that lets you view all UK free TV for free- the only catch is that it translates all the sound into Irish - new "Irish First" Regulation #69 issued by the Fine Gael / Labour coalition government on April 1. I thought that was common knowledge. :D:D:D

Or, today being the official Start date for saorview, you could try checking www.saorview.ie. :D:D:D

But don't bother, the site is down "ERROR ACCESSING DATABASE". :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 truedublad

Will this changeover from analogue to digital create any work for lads installing Saorview ? Does anyone know how many houses will need work to be done ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Can you get sky sports and the like with this box? And can you get it translated into english at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

When I buy a saorview box, will I still need to keep our UPC (NTL) aerial? Be handy saving of 45 euro every 2 month.. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Can you get sky sports and the like with this box? And can you get it translated into english at all?

No just Irish, but you can choose which dialect, Connemara, Donegal etc. Personally I find the Connemara (Option 5) the easiest to understand and some of the translators throw in the odd english word here and there(rumour has it that a lot of them only did Ordinary Level Irish for the Leaving Cert).

Please read my post again, and look carefully at the date- April 1!!!

Geddit??? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

just get RTE 1 and 2, TV3, the usual english channels and sky news, mtv, and a few others. i would get a saorview box straight away and cancel my UPC if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would it be worth it to invest in one of these if you have a sky box (no sky subscription) but receive FTA channesl and have an aerial for Rte 1 and 2. What do you reckon?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kn wrote: »
    Just check the MENU on the remote. It should allow for automatic and manual storing of both analogue and digital channels. If it does automatic storing then do it for both analogue and digital and it will find the channels and store then for you in a minute or two.

The TV3 thing is that if you can receive TV3 on an anolog aerial/signal then you can receive Soarview with no issues
    truedublad wrote: »
    Will this changeover from analogue to digital create any work for lads installing Saorview ? Does anyone know how many houses will need work to be done ?

None. All it'll be is a set top box if you don't have an MPEG4 TV, but I'm sure some of our more enterprising citizens will make money out of it.

No, only Irish terrestrial channels are on it and they are all that'll be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Anyone know what channels this will pick up?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Del2005 wrote: »
    None. All it'll be is a set top box if you don't have an MPEG4 TV, but I'm sure some of our more enterprising citizens will make money out of it.

Yeah literally millions of people in the UK were conned into getting new antennae I'm sure the same will happen here. Digital requires far lower signal levels than analogue so if you have a good picture on analogue without amps, combiners and other shennanigans you will be 99% sure to have a perfect digital signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

paddyp wrote: »
    Yeah literally millions of people in the UK were conned into getting new antennae I'm sure the same will happen here. Digital requires far lower signal levels than analogue so if you have a good picture on analogue without amps, combiners and other shennanigans you will be 99% sure to have a perfect digital signal.

Yeah my analogue reception in one room was real bad, damaged cable somewhere as it was fine from the other rooms (coming from roof top aerial) so I was thinking i'd have to get it sorted before using my new tv, but reception on digital is crystal clear! while if i switch to analogue mode is real bad! looking forward to seeing what rte 2 HD looks like for the game on sat :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i dont have an aerial but the tv is fine
    would an indoor aerial do the job and if so
    can anyone recommend one?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

mathie wrote: »
    Anyone know what channels this will pick up?
    Thanks

I suggest ye take a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56
    RTÉ One, RTÉ Two HD, TV3, TG4, RTÉ News Now, 3e, RTÉjr and RTÉ One + 1 are all available on Saorview, which also carries a new digital RTÉ Aertel service and RTÉ's radio services.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0526/saorview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭PressTheButton

Just to add to Glenviewjf's reply, if the Aldi set-top box is a certified SAORVIEW STB as advertised by them (though strangely not officially on Saorview's Approved Product Listings yet) it will also have Saorview EPG and MHEG-5 interactive services.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mailburner wrote: »
    i dont have an aerial but the tv is fine
    would an indoor aerial do the job and if so
    can anyone recommend one?
    thanks

How are you currently watching TV with no aerial?

Buy the cheapest indoor aerial you can find, Tesco have one for ~€9 or less, then try and tune in your TV. If you get decent TV3 then you're OK for Soarview. If that doesn't work then you'll need proper advice;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HumpM

Theirs seemingly no usb for a external hard drive on the Aldi box where as their is on the tv trade ones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

All Saorview Boxes are HD, if its not HD its not a Saorview certified box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

If you're a real 'bargain hunter' then don't bother buying an aerial for DTT - make your own one :D - a few steel welding rods, screws and washers, length of 3x1 and a balun from Maplins - perfect signal on my combi freesat/DTT box (aerial is in the attic, signal is perfect). Got the instructions from Youtube.

2805522145_6093e13776.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

have heard certain areas can get freeview from uk also, would this mean 2 boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

What exactly does a TV need to be able to receive Saorview without a settop box? I can't find that information on their site apart from approved retailers. My TV is just a few years old, would be nice to know.

Advertisement