Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen's Visit to Cashel

Options
  • 07-04-2011 7:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

The County Tipperary town of Cashel has been included in the itinerary of the forthcoming visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh to Ireland. The famed Rock of Cashel will provide a magnificent backdrop for this historic occasion. Cashel is very privileged to be included and the visit of the Royal couple will be a great boost to the town.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Quite surprised by this! That's about 6km from where I live. I may just go for a gawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

herd she is going to coolmore stud too??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Will they take down the scaffolding off the rock for her visit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DaveJac wrote: »
    herd she is going to coolmore stud too??

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local/queen_of_england_to_visit_cashel_and_coolmore_1_2546269

Queen of England to visit Cashel and Coolmore

The Queen of England will visit Cashel and Coolmore Stud near Fethard during her forthcoming historic visit to Ireland, The Nationalist can reveal.

Deputy Tom Hayes has announced that a trip to South Tipperary will be included on Queen Elizabeth II’s itinerary when she visits Ireland in May. Speculation has surrounded a two-day state visit from Tuesday, May 17th, though this date has yet to be officially confirmed.Confirmation of her visit to South Tipperary was given to Deputy Hayes by Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

“The Queen’s visit will be a huge boost for the county”, Deputy Hayes stated on Tuesday evening. He said he had made strong representations for the Queen to come to South Tipp and he was very happy with the commitment that Taoiseach Enda Kenny had given him.

The visit will be the first to the Irish Republic by a reigning British monarch. Queen Elizabeth will be the first British monarch to visit Ireland since her grandfather George V in 1911.

Speculation that the Queen would visit Coolmore has been rife since her daughter, Princess Anne and her grand daughter Zara Philips visited the world famous stud some weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

“The Queen’s visit will be a huge boost for the county”, Deputy Hayes stated on Tuesday evening. He said he had made strong representations for the Queen to come to South Tipp and he was very happy with the commitment that Taoiseach Enda Kenny had given him.
    Does anyone seriously believe that lobbying by Hayes had anything to do with this decision?
    Security, followed by Lizzie's love of the GiGi's were probably the criteria.

At least Phil The Greek can round off the visit by saying something highly inappropriate. Some Classics......
    1. "You can't have been here that long - you haven't got a pot belly".
    Comments to a Briton the Prince met in Hungary in 1993.
    2. "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."
    Phil gets to the heart of the matter when discussing the 1981 recession.
    3. “You are a woman, aren't you?" Philip to a Kenyan dancer during a State visit.
    4. "Well, you'll never fly in it, you're too fat to be an astronaut."
    A 13-year-old boy's life-long dreams of space exploration are dashed.
    5. "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test."
    The Duke quizzes a Scottish driving instructor.
    6. "It looks as though it was put in by an Indian."
    The Prince gives his verdict on a less-than-sophisticated fuse box spotted during a tour of an electronics firm.
    7. Speaking to British exchange students during a 1996 tour of Beijing: "If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed."
    8. "You look as if you're ready for the bed."
    Philip’s greeting for the Nigerian secretary-general of the Commonwealth, who has dressed up in his ceremonial robes for a state dinner.
    9. It's a pleasure to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people."
    The Prince meets the then Paraguayan dictator General Stroessner:
    10. "Deaf? If you are near there, no wonder you are deaf."
    Phil dishes out some sound advice to a group from the British Deaf Association who were standing near a band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

wouldn't mind getting in to take a few photographs -although i'm sure it'd be almost impossible to get accreditation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

tippspur wrote: »
    Will they take down the scaffolding off the rock for her visit?

jubus, is that still up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

jubus, is that still up?

Sure is. Think it's going to try n stay for as long as the Rock has been there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

willm hrh meet the current mayor of cashel...hes sinn fein i think

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aka79

I recently heard that on the day of the visit, that there will be no entry within a 5 km radius around Cashel town? Anyone any light on whether this is true? I live 2.5 km outside Cashel, and I have to drive through the town to get to work!! What am I to do!!

• Advertisement

aka79 wrote: »
    I recently heard that on the day of the visit, that there will be no entry within a 5 km radius around Cashel town? Anyone any light on whether this is true? I live 2.5 km outside Cashel, and I have to drive through the town to get to work!! What am I to do!!

First, I don't believe that report. Second, if it is true, you could walk. 2.5km is nothing. If it's further, take the bypass. They're not going to close the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Are they closing the schools? I'm hopefully assuming they are!!! Any idea what time shes due in to the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Taken from the TIPP FM Websire
    Traffic restrictions for Queen’s visit are published
    Plans for traffic restrictions around Tipperary during the Queen’s visit nextweek have been released.
    A cordon will be put around the town of Cashel from Thursday evening,The cordon will be an average distance of 7km around the town,and no one without a valid pass will allowed through.
    The only access to Cashel from the motorway will be from Junction 9.
    Outer cordon restricitons will also be put in place around Fethardand Killenaule.
    Diversions will be in place and will be manned by a large Garda presence.
    The Queen is due to visit Cashel and Fethard on Friday morning.

What about schools? Some school buses run from Clonmel through Cashel to Thurles. I presume no one at all will be allowed in; the businesses can't be too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

And will residents within the 7KM be provided with passes to get through the cordon?

This seems rather extreme to me. But I heard today that Cashel is a hotbed of hardcore republicanism. This surprised me tbh, I really never thought that it was. I'm non-political in general, so I really don't mind either way that the queen is coming. It'll be interesting from a pageantry point of view. I just think it's a shame that Cashel looks like a tip in terms of the approach roads to the town, the lack of flowers, trees and colour, the patched up streets, and the scaffolding around the Rock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Never saw her in 52 years in England.
    Guess I won't see her here either.
    I have often wondered what the "Royals" idea of the world is.
    She never sees the real thing, only Police, Barriers and selected people.
    Shame really because she is probably a nice enough person.

Tremelo wrote: »
    This seems rather extreme to me. But I heard today that Cashel is a hotbed of hardcore republicanism. This surprised me tbh, I really never thought that it was. I'm non-political in general, so I really don't mind either way that the queen is coming. It'll be interesting from a pageantry point of view. I just think it's a shame that Cashel looks like a tip in terms of the approach roads to the town, the lack of flowers, trees and colour, the patched up streets, and the scaffolding around the Rock.

I agree, it's the most shoddy looking town ever!!! Approach roads won't matter, appearance wise, as now she is coming in by helicopter, apparently 3 landing spots have ben selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

driving home from work today noticed a sign up, on the newinn road near O Sullivans garage if people know saying road closed on thursday the 19th from 6pm i was thinking thats an odd time for road works but its for the Queen and i suppose it will be closed friday too?? fecking crazy overkill if you ask me, and the last 2 weeks ive past a few garda cars going towards cashel in the morning all going for extra cover think its crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

While most welcome the visit, and we all understand the need for strict security, excluding the people from Cashel (those that want to, that is) from getting some kind of view will only annoy them. Even local Journalists and photographers who were vetted and accredited (myself included), have to travel early Friday morning to Cork to be put on a bus to Cashel then brought back to Cork afterwards, 240 miles just to go 15 miles to Cashel in my case, ith no guarantee of a place on the vantage points. Its just not worth the hassle. So i like the rest of the Country i will turn on my TV a watch from home, rather dissapointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I would have liked to bring my small kids to get a glimpse of her and i think they should have done some sort of lottery for ordinary people and children especially to go and cheer her with obviously the security clearance.Instead we will get the same faces(shudder)who will use the visit for their election photo op and claim that only for them lizzie wouldnt have been sighted around Tipp.

Was just in Cashel this morning. Town still looks like a tip. I'm sorry - but where are the flowers, hanging baskets, and flags? No pageantry about the place at all. The M8 bypass is weedy and unkempt as usual. Cashel always struck me as an ugly town, and now I know why: if they can't be bothered to brighten the place up for royalty, they certainly won't do it the other 364 days of the year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Was just in Cashel this morning. Town still looks like a tip. I'm sorry - but where are the flowers, hanging baskets, and flags? No pageantry about the place at all. The M8 bypass is weedy and unkempt as usual. Cashel always struck me as an ugly town, and now I know why: if they can't be bothered to brighten the place up for royalty, they certainly won't do it the other 364 days of the year.

I think that it's a disgraceful reflection on Cashel as a town if they didn't even bother to spruce thinks up a little for one of the World's most important Heads of State. Or perhaps there's a deep seated hatred of the Queen and the UK in general in and around Cashel?:(

Ah cmon on.....sher they're after painting one of the shops downtown.... now we all know that when the painting starts, tis a sure sign of important visitors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think that it's a disgraceful reflection on Cashel as a town if they didn't even bother to spruce thinks up a little for one of the World's most important Heads of State. Or perhaps there's a deep seated hatred of the Queen and the UK in general in and around Cashel?:(
    It was on nationwide last night and there seemed to be loads of people planting flowers and cleaning and sweeping.Not from Cashel but always seemed to be a nice tidy looking town to me and i am sure their population is no more anti queen than they would have in any other small town,and from someone who has lived in country villages and cities in england i can say you would meet a sizable anti monarchy element in these towns as well.

Ah ya, on a serious note, in fairness there's been plenty of planting going on in the town. I drive through Cashel daily and the locals do seem to be trying to improve the appearance of the town. However its just a drab looking town.

I agree with Tremelo, instead of planting in groung level flower beds, more effort should be concentrated at eye level....hanging baskets, flags etc.

But sure I suppose the creators are doing their best!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stik

In fairness there has been a lot of work done to tidy up the town and the approach roads. It is too early for the hanging baskets - Cashel always has a great display of hanging baskets in the summer but they don't go up until June in case there's a late frost. As for flags etc, the Queen isn't coming until Friday so there's still time!

Besides, she won't see any of the town centre - she's arriving on the outskirts and will be driven around the bottom of the Rock to enter from that side - all she'll see is the Gardai!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LetFly

And can I ask what little gem of a tidy-town winning town/village are you from that you can make such an accusation???

LetFly wrote: »
    And can I ask what little gem of a tidy-town winning town/village are you from that you can make such an accusation???

What does where I'm from have to do with the price of sugar? Absolutely nothing. If someone would care to point out where the town has been beautified and how, fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LetFly

There has been a lot of people out giving their free time to work with the tidy towns committee in cashel. All completely voluntary. I passed through the town this morning, as I do every morning and it was a hive of activity with people painting, weeding flower beds etc.

IMO your derogatory comments previously were an insult to those volunteers and the community, and something that I would not expect from a moderator of the Tipperary forum.

I for one am proud of the fact that Co. Tipperary and Cashel and Coolmore in particular have been selected to host such a prestigious occasion and would like to commend everyone involved in making it happen and all the volunteers that have been out working hard and giving their free time for their community.

Advertisement