Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 - Belturbet Bypass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 send her on

correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There must be (at least) 10 other schemes that should have gone above this

Slane bypass
    Galway bypass
    Claregalway bypass
    Adare bypass
    Newlands X
    M11 gap
    N52 Tyrellspass-Ardee
    Dualling of Monaghan bypass
    N20 (north AND south)
    M18 Gort-Tuam

What a waste. Ive never had a real issue driving through this place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There must be (at least) 10 other schemes that should have gone above this

Slane bypass
    Galway bypass
    Claregalway bypass
    Adare bypass
    Newlands X
    M11 gap
    N52 Tyrellspass-Ardee
    Dualling of Monaghan bypass
    N20 (north AND south)
    M18 Gort-Tuam

All of which are either not ready to proceed or in a completely different price bracket.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This was entirely down to what schemes were shovel-ready; its not even the most needed bypass on the N3 (that'd be Virginia) but it was RTG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

MYOB wrote: »
    This was entirely down to what schemes were shovel-ready; its not even the most needed bypass on the N3 (that'd be Virginia) but it was RTG.

Which is a darn good reason to start! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

status "ready to go" has just changed to "on the go"!!
    Work on Belturbet Bypass beginning today
    May 09 2011

Work is due to commence this morning on the Belturbet Bypass.

The contract for the bypass was signed on Friday afternoon in the town of Belturbet.

Sinn Fein Councillor Damien Brady says the people of Belturbet are a long time campaigning for this bypass -to ensure the safety of motorists and to reduce traffic congestion in the town.

Speaking to Northern Sound Cllr Brady says this is a great day for the town and for the county of Cavan.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/news-details.php?nid=6664

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Speaking to Northern Sound Cllr Brady says this is a great day for the town and for the county of Cavan.

... and all the roadgeeks on boards who finally have a new road-build to talk about :D

Who'll be first with the pics ... let the drooling commence!

serfboard wrote: »
    ... and all the roadgeeks on boards who finally have a new road-build to talk about :D

Who'll be first with the pics ... let the drooling commence!

Maybe we should organize a field trip?
    -bring the sunscreen and wellies :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Ordinarily I would take the photos. But Belturbet is a little out of my range, and single carriageways don't it for me like duallers do :D

• Advertisement

Feckit!

They havent invented digicams in Longford yet dont ya know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Tremelo wrote: »
    Ordinarily I would take the photos. But Belturbet is a little out of my range, and single carriageways don't it for me like duallers do :D

Im a Belturbet man So ill try and get you a picture when i can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Feckit!

They havent invented digicams in Longford yet dont ya know...
    whats longford got to do with anything?

whats longford got to do with anything?

That is more a statement than a question. I agree

Went past it and i can see they have started but nothing serious yet

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishlad11

Construction has really took off now. Trees have been cleared and fences have been put up - you can now clearly see the route of the by-pass driving along the present road. They have all the huts for the workers pass the Church Of Ireland church. Think they might be starting to build the bridge across the Erne since the seem to be digging the route down to it from Staghall roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

BUMP!!!

Does anyone have any info on how this scheme is progressing?

BUMP!!!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

BUMP!!!

Does anyone have any info on how this scheme is progressing?
    PT McWilliams still hauling plenty of stone despite going into administration, I'd say Ferrovial are keeping him on life support until they are finished with his plant. I was talking to a guy a while ago about this project and was telling him about PT going into administration, Howley Civil Engineering going tits up when working on the M3 for Ferrovial and I think there was a third firm who went out of business when working with Ferrovial, and he described them as a black widow, very apt.

The last time I was up that way there was very little to be seen from the existing road, they are building the bridge first which is in the middle and working towards the tie-ins. I'll take some photos when there is something to be seen from the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    PT McWilliams still hauling plenty of stone despite going into administration, I'd say Ferrovial are keeping him on life support until they are finished with his plant. I was talking to a guy a while ago about this project and was telling him about PT going into administration, Howley Civil Engineering going tits up when working on the M3 for Ferrovial and I think there was a third firm who went out of business when working with Ferrovial, and he described them as a black widow, very apt.

The last time I was up that way there was very little to be seen from the existing road, they are building the bridge first which is in the middle and working towards the tie-ins. I'll take some photos when there is something to be seen from the road.

Many thanks for that Pete!

Let's hope the project doesn't stall. The NRA has the contractor listed as Ferrovial Agroman PT McWilliams Ltd. J.V - maybe I'm wrong, but I did think the pre-qual process was for eliminating any interested party with insufficient assets thereby avoiding time wasting by picking out the more robust contenders for the actual tendering process.

Fingers Crossed Though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I did think the pre-qual process was for eliminating any interested party with insufficient assets
    They did have assets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

would anyone be able to take any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I hope that everyone will support local businesses and shops in Belturbet.

The people there are exceptionally nice and friendly but the local economy needs all the help it can get.

I used to be familiar with Belturbet many years ago - sadly it hasn't developed in the way other towns closer to Dublin have in the intervening years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Went there for a stag about 2 years ago, loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

bureau2009 wrote: »
    I hope that everyone will support local businesses and shops in Belturbet.

The people there are exceptionally nice and friendly but the local economy needs all the help it can get.

I used to be familiar with Belturbet many years ago - sadly it hasn't developed in the way other towns closer to Dublin have in the intervening years.

As long as you're cheaper and competitive, I would have no problem shopping local. I trust you'll live up your side of bargain too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I would say there was a decent amount of house and apartment building done in the 'boom'. How much of it is paying its way and has residents is any ones guess.

The knocking of the Convent was a big mistake I think.

There will be big changes in the town once all that traffic is diverted. Hopefully they will take the opportunity to really do something positive.

withless wrote: »
    The knocking of the Convent was a big mistake I think.

:eek:

Are we expecting a large upturn in Cavan females heading for the nunnery?

New Bridge crossing the Erne in the distance.

432152_366276003405983_132934890073430_1223631_429427602_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Storm2

It seems probable that the NRA are planning a 2+2 from the northern end of the M3 to the start of the Cavan bypass.

Presumably they'll upgrade the Cavan bypass (which is already WS2) to 2+2 and the N3 Belturbet bypass/border section will be 2+2 also.

I think that the NRA wants most of the National Primaries between Dublin and the provinces to be at least 2+2.

Of the 11 primary routes to/from Dublin, five are already/will soon be mainly motorway or DC (1, 6, 7, 8, 9).

The N10 will soon be basically a spur off the M9 and the N/M11 is likely to be upgraded to mainly motorway/DC within the next few years.

Once the M3 is finished a substantial part of that route will be motorway/DC.

If the Kells to border section is upgraded to 2+2 then the entire route will be motorway/DC.

That leaves the rest of the N/M2, the rest of the N/M4 and the N5 for upgrading.

The NRA has plans to build a HQDC (which will probably be redesignated to motorway) from Mullingar to Longford and will probably upgrade the Longford to Collooney section to at least 2+2 eventually.

If the Slane bypass goes ahead as DC, it's only a matter of time before the section between the Ashbourne bypass and there gets upgraded to DC.

After that, there'll probably be un upgrade of the N2 from Ardee to the border as 2+2.

AFAIK, the current plans for the N5 are to upgrade the Westport to Castlebar section to 2+2. It would be relatively easy to upgrade the rest of the route to 2+2 (including the WS2 Charlestown bypass) eventually.

Of course the Greens (plus the state of the economy) will stall these plans for years but they'll probably get built under a new government.

All those improvements, along with the improvements to the Atlantic Corridor routes, mean that Ireland will eventually have one of the best primary road networks in Europe.

Regarding the N5, I read on Wikipedia that it's only going to be WS2 bypassing all the towns. Will post again once I find something more robust.

EDIT: Just noticed the N5 section in your post. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Great to see a picture. Anymore would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

My views are my own.

Advertisement