Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 - Longford Bypass (under construction)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Press Releases here and here
    Varadkar turns sod on €26m N5 Longford Bypass

Media,17920,en.JPGMedia,9023,en-153x49.jpg
    “First of six new road starts begin today”
    Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar has today (Thursday) turned the sod on the €26 million N5 Longford Bypass. This new road scheme, which will consist of 2.6km of single carriageway, is due for completion towards the end of next year. The N5 Longford Bypass is the first of six new road starts beginning in 2011.
    Speaking today Minister Varadkar said:
    ‘I’m very pleased to be able to turn the sod for this new road in these difficult times for the economy. I’m very happy to confirm that five other projects are due to start this year. This project is already creating jobs, will improve road safety and add considerably to the quality of life in the area.
    “These commencement works on the Longford bypass are evidence of this Government’s commitment to road safety. It follows the €75 million boost for shovel-ready transport projects which got the green light earlier this week, and which will make our roads safer following two very severe winters.”
    The major benefits of the N5 Longford scheme include:
    • Removing national traffic from the centre of Longford;
    • Separating bypassing traffic from local traffic and pedestrians;
    • An anticipated reduction in accidents in the order of 13%;
    • An estimated journey time saving of eight minutes on average, and a minimum of 3 minutes for bypassing traffic.
    Minister Varadkar added that:
    ‘Removing national traffic from the centre of Longford will free up access to business, resulting in an improved quality of life for residents, traders and the public in general. This new road will provide a brand-new link between the N4 at Moneylagan and the N5 National Route at Ballyminion. At present, there are no junctions between the N4 and the N5 roundabouts, so this new road will speed up travel times for those who live locally and those who are passing through Longford. The €26 million budget for the N5 Scheme includes all costs associated with the project, including the design costs of the land acquisition’.
    “In the week that the RSA launched the UN Decade for Action on Road Safety, it’s important to note that this new road is expected to reduce accidents by a massive 13%.”
    National Roads Authority Chairman Peter Malone said:
    ‘Once completed in 18 months, the N5 Longford Bypass will bring significant benefits to the businesses and residents of Longford town by removing unnecessary traffic and allowing for local tourism offerings to flourish’.

The bypass provides a link between the N4 at Moneylagan and the N5 National Route at Ballyminion. The scheme consists of the construction of 2.6km of single carriageway and six structures. It includes two at-grade roundabouts at the N4 and the N5 junctions, a river bridge spanning the river Camlin, a railway bridge spanning the Dublin Sligo railway in the townland of Cartons and the realignments of regional and local roads. Other road projects due to commence this year include the N3 Belturbet Bypass, the N25 Cork Southern Ring Road, the N4 Downes Grade Separation, the N22 Tralee Bypass and the N52 Carrick-Bridge to Dalystown.
    Further Information:
    Press Office, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (01) 6041090 (01) 6041076
    Sean O'Neill, Communications Manager NRA soneill@nra.ie
    Varadkar turns sod on €26m N5 Longford Bypass

12 - 05 - 2011

Back to Press Releases

“First of six new road starts begin today”

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar has today (Thursday) turned the sod on the €26 million N5 Longford Bypass. This new road scheme, which will consist of 2.6km of single carriageway, is due for completion towards the end of next year. The N5 Longford Bypass is the first of six new road starts beginning in 2011.

Speaking today Minister Varadkar said: ‘I’m very pleased to be able to turn the sod for this new road in these difficult times for the economy. I’m very happy to confirm that five other projects are due to start this year. This project is already creating jobs, will improve road safety and add considerably to the quality of life in the area.

“These commencement works on the Longford bypass are evidence of this Government’s commitment to road safety. It follows the €75 million boost for shovel-ready transport projects which got the green light earlier this week, and which will make our roads safer following two very severe winters.”

The major benefits of the N5 Longford scheme include:

· Removing national traffic from the centre of Longford;
    · Separating bypassing traffic from local traffic and pedestrians;
    · An anticipated reduction in accidents in the order of 13%;
    · An estimated journey time saving of eight minutes on average, and a minimum of 3 minutes for bypassing traffic.

Minister Varadkar added that: ‘Removing national traffic from the centre of Longford will free up access to business, resulting in an improved quality of life for residents, traders and the public in general. This new road will provide a brand-new link between the N4 at Moneylagan and the N5 National Route at Ballyminion. At present, there are no junctions between the N4 and the N5 roundabouts, so this new road will speed up travel times for those who live locally and those who are passing through Longford. The €26 million budget for the N5 Scheme includes all costs associated with the project, including the design costs of the land acquisition’.

“In the week that the RSA launched the UN Decade for Action on Road Safety, it’s important to note that this new road is expected to reduce accidents by a massive 13%.”

National Roads Authority Chairman Peter Malone said: ‘Once completed in 18 months, the N5 Longford Bypass will bring significant benefits to the businesses and residents of Longford town by removing unnecessary traffic and allowing for local tourism offerings to flourish’.

ENDS

Further Information:
    Press Office, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (01) 6041090 (01) 6041076

Notes for editors:

The bypass provides a link between the N4 at Moneylagan and the N5 National Route at Ballyminion.

The scheme consists of the construction of 2.6km of single carriageway and six structures.

It includes two at-grade roundabouts at the N4 and the N5 junctions, a river bridge spanning the river Camlin, a railway bridge spanning the Dublin Sligo railway in the townland of Cartons and the realignments of regional and local roads.

Other road projects due to commence this year include the N3 Belturbet Bypass, the N25 Cork Southern Ring Road, the N4 Downes Grade Separation, the N22 Tralee Bypass and the N52 Carrick-Bridge to Dalystown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Tech3 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the road should be built south of the town? Looks a long enough detour to bypass Longford.

Yes looking at the map a southern bypass would appear to make more sense but presumably there were engineering issues with that route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I see N25 Interchanges aren't on Leo's list for this year. Or the N87.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

as flas said, the southern bypass option wouldn't work. it'd loop south of ferefad, farnagh, lisduff before getting near ballymccormack and judging by the map would come out around mullolagher, which would be longer than the current bypass completely.

either way, more luigi's chips for the rest of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

spacetweek wrote: »
    I see N25 Interchanges aren't on Leo's list for this year. Or the N87.

N25 is mentioned in the NRA release above.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

OMG OMG OMG :eek: what happened to the N87 Ballyconnell Bypass, a whopping €10m size project at most and promised in 2005 or 2006 or something like that and again recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    OMG OMG OMG :eek: what happened to the N87 Ballyconnell Bypass, a whopping €10m size project at most and promised in 2005 or 2006 or something like that and again recently.

Priority Construction were the lowest bidder but it appears they do not want it any more. Gibsons are next. The council has requested all tenderers keep their bids open for long. It is not €10m, more like €3m.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Good to see the Longford bypass being completed.

So, without going on a tangent, does this mean Newlands Cross definitely wont start this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Noone knows yet as its a PPP and they seem to be in limbo.

Newlands should absolutely NEVER have been lumped into a PPP. Its just too important. The money currently being spent on Longford would probably have almost paid for Newlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Other road projects due to commence this year include the N3 Belturbet Bypass, the N25 Cork Southern Ring Road, the N4 Downes Grade Separation, the N22 Tralee Bypass and the N52 Carrick-Bridge to Dalystown.

Dont mean to go off topic but this is good news. Its a suprise that this scheme is going to start this year. It will mean the last real bad section of the N52 from Birr to Mullingar will be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

medoc wrote: »
    Dont mean to go off topic but this is good news. Its a suprise that this scheme is going to start this year. It will mean the last real bad section of the N52 from Birr to Mullingar will be removed.

They are doing a bit of that N52 north of Mullingar too, see page 4,a Macetown to Rathconnell realignment just north of the Mullingar Bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good news about the N52 north of Mullingar, it's still quite poor in a number of places between Ardee and Mullingar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are doing a bit of that N52 north of Mullingar too, see page 4,a Macetown to Rathconnell realignment just north of the Mullingar Bypass.

Wow, Sponge, you've eyes like a hawk!
    Thanks for the correction on the N25 guys. I dunno how I missed it.
    Of course the PPPs aren't mentioned at all, but we knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dotzciaran

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Priority Construction were the lowest bidder but it appears they do not want it any more. Gibsons are next. The council has requested all tenderers keep their bids open for long. It is not €10m, more like €3m.

Hi Pete, any chance you could tell us more about Gibsons? I can't find any info on them anywher?

Where they are from, what they have done, a link to their website etc.,

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

why did Priority Construction pull out are they in trouble money wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i never go through the town of longford, when coming from mayo i take the second left after the soccer pitch on to local road and at the mini roundbaout take a left and then straight through the roundabout at mc donalds and then on the n4 roundabout.

its saves valuable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

irishgeo wrote: »
    i never go through the town of longford, when coming from mayo i take the second left after the soccer pitch on to local road and at the mini roundbaout take a left and then straight through the roundabout at mc donalds and then on the n4 roundabout.

its saves valuable time.

Use the same route myself geo, saves a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭SeanW

irishgeo wrote: »

its saves valuable time.
    The bypass will follow a roughly similar route except it will lead directly to the N4. It will also be a lot more pleasant to drive on - the current informal 'bypass' is little better than a goat track, and will allow lorries to use the route.

I also use that route sometimes when I'm going from the linear industrial estate along the N63 to any point North or West of the town. For me, the bypass will make those journeys a lot smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Use the same route myself geo, saves a lot of time.

Use it as well, coming to and from Mayo. It's the Lisbrack Road. I wonder will it be closed for a period during construction of the new bypass which crosses it just before the current road goes over a bridge?

EDIT: there's a bridge due to be built over the Lisbrack Road for the new bypass.

The original specs did say "minor changes to one local road" or something like that, so I imagine the Lisbrack road will be closed at some point. Though for how long is another question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slipknot1

just wondering does any1 know who providing security on the longford by pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PJ.Harte

Longford by pass looks to be moving along nicely

http://vimeo.com/25366471

PJ

Nice video - indeed the bypass is coming along rather well.
    Too bad about the crappy music.

SeanW wrote: »
    Nice video - indeed the bypass is coming along rather well.
    Too bad about the crappy music.
    Haha, yea - worst song ever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

PJ.Harte wrote: »
    Longford by pass looks to be moving along nicely

http://vimeo.com/25366471

PJ

Great song. :cool:

I had another look at the bypass works today.

From the existing N5 the earthworks and rough paving is done about 250m in - you could drive that 250m theoretically with machinery.

Around where it crosses the 'unofficial bypass' (the Lisbrack road) they're still doing the earthworks. I didn't see how far they have gotten on at the N4 end as I don't be out that way much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

N4 end had the earthworks for the RAB nearly done last time I passed which was about a week ago.

Longford County Council have a newsletter available on the bypass. Issue 1 published in July.

Link: http://www.longfordcoco.ie/uploadedFiles/LongfordCoCo/Our_Departments/Roads/Documents/N5_Longford_Bypass/N5NewsletterJuly11.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Lord it is good to see a bit of construction going on, however modest! :)

• Advertisement

Signs up at each end of this road last Friday (28th Oct) that the road is closed & for local traffic only. Working on the bridge over it maybe?

Advertisement