Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

r3nu4l wrote: »
    A colleague of mine just described a movie where a scientific experiment caused a disturbance in space-time that resulted in people reliving the same day over-and-over again (ala Groundhog day).

Anyone know what that movie might be?

Sounds like Primer (2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

r3nu4l wrote: »
    A colleague of mine just described a movie where a scientific experiment caused a disturbance in space-time that resulted in people reliving the same day over-and-over again (ala Groundhog day).

Anyone know what that movie might be?

I'm not familiar with the film but Wikipedia have an article on "Time Loop" which includes a list of films and TV programmes which feature this phenomena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_loop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

12:01 is a short film that replays the same hour. From what I remember he meets a scientist towards the end who tries to explain the phenomenon, could have something to do with the space-time thingy?

Apparently there's a longer version called 12.01 PM and that was the one :)

Thanks to all who made suggestions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

A Brazilian movie from 1990s or early 2000s. A guy is 26. There is a gang and someone dies after a robbery/murder. The guy that is 26 grabs a fire extinguisher and smashes into some place where a friend/family member of his is being held captive from some local gang boss. I think it was TG4 where I saw it around 5 years ago.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

liah wrote: »
    Thinking of a black and white supernatural classic but the name just will not come to my mind! Should be easy for someone else to pick up though. 30's era or so, quite old. I haven't seen it in years, so apologies for vagueness.

A young, beautiful woman goes to huge mansion on a beautiful property where she's to mind two young children, a boy and a girl (I think). The property has a pond, is quite hilly, great gardens and groomed trees, etc. Big, forboding house. As the film goes on, the woman begins to see spirits, one of them is a man, I think, though my memory's pretty hazy. I remember a scene where she's standing near a glass doorway and she sees the man on the terrace outside. Forget how, but she ends up outside, and I think one or both of the children are out there in the dark with her. I remember the ending being quite jarring, but I don't actually remember what the ending is. I believe she was insane?

Think something funny (as in strange) happens around the pond or under a willow tree (or both). Maybe someone wading into the water through reeds, a woman, facing away.

I'm thinking I'm getting this film and The Haunting (or something else) mixed up though.. Argh! :mad:

Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds very good, must be a film version of Turn of the Screw?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Sounds very good, must be a film version of Turn of the Screw?

Yeah, it's The Innocents. Absolute classic film.

Edit. Which I see was pointed out on the previous page.

Wonder if anyone could help me out here? Any fellow Mark Kermode podcast listeners would know this -

Previously they talked about a movie that was so scary that the director would pay a cash sum to whoever sat through the entirety of the movie. Unfortunately that's the only thing I have to go on, which isn't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ianhmoore

Wonder if anyone could help me out here? Any fellow Mark Kermode podcast listeners would know this -

Previously they talked about a movie that was so scary that the director would pay a cash sum to whoever sat through the entirety of the movie. Unfortunately that's the only thing I have to go on, which isn't much.

Sounds like something William Castle would have done:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Castle

I know Hitchcock did similar things too when promoting his movies (although not to the extent that William Castle did). (Psycho apparently had nurses outside the theaters to take away fainting audience members).

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

US soldier comes back to his sweetheart, promised to marry her. He returns from the war in a wheelchair, she persuades her parents to agree and they get married.

When in parents' sitting room one of his legs shakes for a long time, every one is embarrassed but the wedding goes ahead. Not a happy marriage.

I was sure it was 'the boys are back' but there's nothing that old on IMDB.

Thanks in anticipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stephm92

hey, i saw this movie a couple of years ago late one night on tv and i cant for the life of me remember the name.
    its about this girl who meets this guy outside school and he turns out to be a right phyco. the girl lives in the lovely house in the woods with her family. i think the boyfriend trys to kill them in the end if i remember correctly. anyhow its driving me nuts. please help:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

stephm92 wrote: »
    hey, i saw this movie a couple of years ago late one night on tv and i cant for the life of me remember the name.
    its about this girl who meets this guy outside school and he turns out to be a right phyco. the girl lives in the lovely house in the woods with her family. i think the boyfriend trys to kill them in the end if i remember correctly. anyhow its driving me nuts. please help:D
    Fear?

This involved a kid that fell down a well (it was pre-1991 and probably from the 1980s).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Worztron wrote: »
    This involved a kid that fell down a well (it was pre-1991 and probably from the 1980s).

Everybody's Baby - The rescue of Jessica McClure?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

ianhmoore wrote: »
    Sounds like something William Castle would have done:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Castle

I know Hitchcock did similar things too when promoting his movies (although not to the extent that William Castle did). (Psycho apparently had nurses outside the theaters to take away fainting audience members).

I managed to track it down. The movie I was referring to was Phoonk 2 by Milind Gadagkar

A fairly recent movie (2000s). A soldier is in hospital and dreams about this place where he fights alongside a varied range of other warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

OK here goes, im a bit hazy on the details but ill do the best i can, every now and then this film comes back and bugs me and i try find it with little success.

Ok so what i remember is it was about a group of friends in a camper van going to see a big game of some kind but on there way they get lost and witness a crime which to leads to a game of cat and mouse basically through a city landscape throught projects, shoppin centres etc. For some reason i always thought it was Kiefer Sutherland who was the bad guy in it but ive been through his back catalogue and cant see it anywhere.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Judgement Night starring Emilio Estevez

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Worztron wrote: »
    A fairly recent movie (2000s). A soldier is in hospital and dreams about this place where he fights alongside a varied range of other warriors.

The Fall but isn't he a stuntman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Judgement Night starring Emilio Estevez

Thats the one, good man yourself, Denis Leary- Keifer Sutherland there kind of similar:o.

Now i just have to get a copy of it and see if its any good or one those film that was good years ago but not anymore.

The Fall but isn't he a stuntman?

Yes you are correct. I don't know where I got soldier from. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

"Not mother?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I saw this film just once when I was quite young.

IIRC it had the word "wolf" in the title, though I may be wrong as I can't find a reference to it. I thought it might be "Cry Wolf" but that just brings up a recent horror movie and some other irrelevant stuff.

The gist of the story is a guy on his own somewhere in the North American wilderness. It's somewhere cold and snowy, perhaps even within the Arctic Circle.

I have a vague recollection that it may have won an award, perhaps an Oscar, for its sound. It's star was a lesser known actor, and I think there's a scene where he crunches a roasted mouse for breakfast.

The final scene/end credits include these words from an old Inuit song:
    I think over again my small adventures
    My fears, those small ones that seemed so big
    For all the vital things I had to get and reach
    And yet there is only one great thing
    The only thing
    To live to see the great day that dawns
    And the light that fills the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Never Cry Wolf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Never Cry Wolf.

That's the one. Thanks.

Just had a look for it on Amazon. Not available in PAL, unfortunately, and I'm not sure whether my DVD player can handle NTSC.

I feel another Google search coming on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

This was a colour film, set in the 50's or 60's (:confused:) where a couple move into a new apartment (or house?) and discover that the ghost of a former owner still lives there.

The ghost (female i think) hampers efforts they make to settle into the house. It's a comedy.
    I only got to watch 10-15 mins of this on TCM or some one of those channels one day years ago but would love to see the whole thing.

Not sure if the new owners are newly weds or just living together but seem to remember the ghost giving relationship advice. Think it was a lady ghost.
    No special effects to show ghost, its done using other characters reactions to things happening.

Much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davdvn

saw a film some years back with i think it might have been Johnny Depp.
    it was a western filmed in B&W about a greenhorn who hooks up with a psycho bounty hunter.
    it was quite good as far as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Hey all I’m looking for the name of a movie that was released in 2009 or 2010:

The bits of the movie I remember are as follows

- Movie starts with these two cops taken a witness into protective custody, but she runs away by escaping from the model she was in through the bathroom window.

- The reason she runs, is because she has some involvement with an Asian mafia and she fears that the police can't protect her

- The two cops are protecting her unofficially

- But she still gets kidnapped by this mafia and the two cops try to get her back

- There is also a sub plot of illegally importing cars

This is all I remember, and it’s been wrecking my skull trying to remember the name of the movie

Cheers in advance

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

davdvn wrote: »
    saw a film some years back with i think it might have been Johnny Depp.
    it was a western filmed in B&W about a greenhorn who hooks up with a psycho bounty hunter.
    it was quite good as far as i can remember.

That's Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man.

Advertisement