Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lcarr

Can anybody help me? i remember watching Alice in Wonderland cartoon when I was younger. It definitely wasn't the Disney one, can anybody remember which version it was? It looked older than the Disney one. Please & Thanks :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

there's a whole slew of them, try here: http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=alice+in+wonderland :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mickeroo wrote: »
    there's a whole slew of them, try here: http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=alice+in+wonderland :)

Jaysus! :eek: Best of luck sorting thru those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Anybody know Chinese movies?

Saw a good one on the plane, but missed the title sequence. Basically it's an action comedy set in ancient China about a cobbler who dreams of being a kung fu master, and is constantly studying books trying to gain some technique (though he disdains any books that don't have pictures).

There's a scene where two lads are staging a fight on top of a building, provoking the whole village into coming to watch. They start to taunt each other, but it turns out they're trying to sell products that fight gum disease or something (it's a strange movie).

Also, it's notable because a lot of the characters keep saying 'May the Force be with you' in English.

Anybody know the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lcarr

I can't find it! I'm going mad trying to think of what it was! Watched the Disney movie the other day and it definitely wasnt it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Looking for a film, made with the last couple of years. Only seen a trailer, in it I think was a couple on the living outside the city. Something happens in the city and from their house they can see smoke coming from the city. They are told to stay indoors. I think military in hazmat suits come and kill them.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Anybody know Chinese movies?

Saw a good one on the plane, but missed the title sequence. Basically it's an action comedy set in ancient China about a cobbler who dreams of being a kung fu master, and is constantly studying books trying to gain some technique (though he disdains any books that don't have pictures).

There's a scene where two lads are staging a fight on top of a building, provoking the whole village into coming to watch. They start to taunt each other, but it turns out they're trying to sell products that fight gum disease or something (it's a strange movie).

Also, it's notable because a lot of the characters keep saying 'May the Force be with you' in English.

Anybody know the movie?

"Just call me Nobody" or "Da Xiao Jiang Hu".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Jet Black wrote: »
    Looking for a film, made with the last couple of years. Only seen a trailer, in it I think was a couple on the living outside the city. Something happens in the city and from their house they can see smoke coming from the city. They are told to stay indoors. I think military in hazmat suits come and kill them.

Thanks
    Right at Your Door

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Lcarr wrote: »
    I can't find it! I'm going mad trying to think of what it was! Watched the Disney movie the other day and it definitely wasnt it!

This one? Or this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

spurious wrote: »
    "Just call me Nobody" or "Da Xiao Jiang Hu".

Excellent, cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

This was a harrowing movie. I think it was based on a true story. It was made in the 2000s. I recall seeing it in 2008. At the start of the movie a boy meets a girl met boy by river. He (who is good) brings her back to his house where his mother gradually grows hostile and subjects her to rape by another son and the girl is eventually tortured and murdered.

Update: I just remembered. The Girl Next Door (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830558/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Ok, don't know if this technically counts as a movie but it's wrecking my head!!!

I watched this short film online a while ago. I can remember so much of it but can't find it again!!

It opened with a letter asking the person to examine the photo that came with it.

The rest of the short involved the camera moving around this photo with the characters slowly changing as it progresses.

It was a black and white photo. There was a car to one side and when it zoomed in on it, you could see the arm of a dead body on one seat.

On the other side if a photo was a guy lighting a fire. When it zoomed in on him, he had that medical rod symbol tattooed on his wrist.

There was a couple in the centre, the woman holding a baby. As the action progressed, the man with his arm around her seemed to change into a demonic creature.

The camera zoomed into the background where there was a church. A priest was there with a man with a gun who were looking to shoot these people in the foreground.

There was no dialogue, just music.

As you can see, I can remember loads about it and have used google to no avail!

Please help!

This was an Japanese or perhaps Chinese movie from just a few years ago. An obnoxious boy stays with his grandmother in a rural area. Does anyone remember the title? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

Worztron wrote: »
    This was an Japanese or perhaps Chinese movie from just a few years ago. An obnoxious boy stays with his grandmother in a rural area. Does anyone remember the title? Thanks.

"The Way Home" is a 2002 movie from South Korea

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312841/

brian_t wrote: »
    "The Way Home" is a 2002 movie from South Korea

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312841/

Cheers brian_t. I was wrong twice. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elli0t

theres this movie that has been stuck in my head for feckin ages. whether its actually a movie or just a dream is another question.

anyway, so from what i can remember it starts off with a car driving down a road in the middle of the night, then the car goes over the side of a bridge (i dont think it was intentional accident maybe) and then it cuts to a the next day with the car upside down in a river and the man laying on the shore. then the dude is walking through a town after he get out of the hospital and some old geezer start talking to him saying "hey are you blah blah(i cant remember the name)" but the jist of what he is saying is that he recognizes the dude and he has been missing for i dunno a while anyway. then the unknown dude is living his life in this quiet town and this missing dude. so then one day some federal BI men roll into town saying that this man is a fugitive (what for i dunno), and then that pretty much the end of the movie/dream haha.

sounds confusing a bit ha

any help lads??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Sounds somewhat like The Majestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elli0t

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Sounds somewhat like The Majestic.

that is exactly it, and i had an image of jim carrey being in it haha. thanks you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Looking for the name of an old Kung Fu movie I saw a couple of years ago. Anyway, I vaguely remember it had a wise old mentor-type character with a really long beard who took in the main character and taught him the secrets of kung-fu.

I remember two scenes; one where the wise old man falls into a barrel of water and is completely submerged, and another where the main character returns to the old man's house carrying firewood or something and finds that he has died naturally, after which the main character has to stand on his own two feet.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Two childhood friends. One has some sort of medical condition, think it's a growth condition. One scene they're at a lake and they're taking turns to hold their breath. They count by reciting "one Mississippi, two Mississippi etc etc. In the end they're in a school bus and it crashes into a lake. The kid with the condition dies iirc.

Remember seeing this as a kid years ago. Don't know why I am remembering it now tho :P. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Two childhood friends. One has some sort of medical condition, think it's a growth condition. One scene they're at a lake and they're taking turns to hold their breath. They count by reciting "one Mississippi, two Mississippi etc etc. In the end they're in a school bus and it crashes into a lake. The kid with the condition dies iirc.

Remember seeing this as a kid years ago. Don't know why I am remembering it now tho :P. Any ideas?

Simon Birch (1998)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124879/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jeffijoe

Hey. :)

A few years back in 6th grade, we watched a movie (ancient Rome) about a man who (as far as I remember) dropped a brick on someone with a high rank, and was sentenced to rowing on a ship. The ship engages in battle, and its about to go down. The man then rescues someone (again) with a high rank, and he then sort of "adopts" his savior. However I also remember something about racing in those little wagons or something. Its really blurry.

Anyone got an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ben Hur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jeffijoe

Ben Hur

That was fast! Cheers mate!

# CONTAINS SPOILER #

Hi. I saw this movie in late 2006. I am almost certain that it was made in the 2000s. A guy from a rural area works as a civil servant. He finds his job secure but very dull. He is good friends with a fellow worker, a grey middle aged man that has been working there for many a year and does not want to end up bored and unfulfilled like him. He moves to Dublin. He has a run in with some very unpleasant characters. In the end of the movie he decides to follow his dream and goes to art college.
    Can someone tell me the name of the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

We had 2 videotapes that must have come from England when we only had bog 1 and 2. One of them was Bond's "A view to a kill" and the other one was a comedy about 2 eejit American cops who are sent into a prison to find out where a prisoner hid money. Unfortunately the person who sent them in, died and they were trying to get out. I thought it was called "Inside Out" but it's not on IMBD. I'm pretty sure the actor who played Jaws in the bond movies was in it. 2 video tapes, played to death and known word for word!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BrianJD wrote: »
    We had 2 videotapes that must have come from England when we only had bog 1 and 2. One of them was Bond's "A view to a kill" and the other one was a comedy about 2 eejit American cops who are sent into a prison to find out where a prisoner hid money. Unfortunately the person who sent them in, died and they were trying to get out. I thought it was called "Inside Out" but it's not on IMBD. I'm pretty sure the actor who played Jaws in the bond movies was in it. 2 video tapes, played to death and known word for word!!

It's called They Went That-a-way & That-a-way(1978)

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078384/

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

# CONTAINS SPOILER #

Hi. I saw this movie in late 2006. I am almost certain that it was made in the 2000s. A guy from a rural area works as a civil servant. He finds his job secure but very dull. He is good friends with a fellow worker, a grey middle aged man that has been working there for many a year and does not want to end up bored and unfulfilled like him. He moves to Dublin. He has a run in with some very unpleasant characters. In the end of the movie he decides to follow his dream and goes to art college.

Sounds like Cowboys and Angels.

# CONTAINS SPOILER #

definitely cowboys and angels. set in Limerick not dublin though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's called They Went That-a-way & That-a-way(1978)

IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078384/

Thanks for that. That's it.
    It was definitely a different name though.

Advertisement