Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uganda

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Lots of complaints to the BBC regarding this. They started an online discussion "should homosexuals face execution" and after many complaints changed it to "should Uganda debate gay execution"

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss264/GayNewsGuy/Screenshot_BBC.jpg
    http://www.sohopolitico.com/2009/12/complain-to-bbc-over-its-grotesque.html

I liked the rephrasing of that "should heterosexuals face execution?"

http://www.gaelick.com/2009/12/should-heterosexuals-face-execution/6007/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

An article examining the role of US evangelicals in the emergence of this legislation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/world/africa/04uganda.html
    Last March, three American evangelical Christians, whose teachings about “curing” homosexuals have been widely discredited in the United States, arrived here in Uganda’s capital to give a series of talks.

The theme of the event, according to Stephen Langa, its Ugandan organizer, was “the gay agenda — that whole hidden and dark agenda” — and the threat homosexuals posed to Bible-based values and the traditional African family.

For three days, according to participants and audio recordings, thousands of Ugandans, including police officers, teachers and national politicians, listened raptly to the Americans, who were presented as experts on homosexuality. The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”

Now the three Americans are finding themselves on the defensive, saying they had no intention of helping stoke the kind of anger that could lead to what came next: a bill to impose a death sentence for homosexual behavior.

One month after the conference, a previously unknown Ugandan politician, who boasts of having evangelical friends in the American government, introduced the Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009, which threatens to hang homosexuals, and, as a result, has put Uganda on a collision course with Western nations.

Donor countries, including the United States, are demanding that Uganda’s government drop the proposed law, saying it violates human rights, though Uganda’s minister of ethics and integrity (who previously tried to ban miniskirts) recently said, “Homosexuals can forget about human rights.”
    The three Americans who spoke at the conference — Scott Lively, a missionary who has written several books against homosexuality, including “7 Steps to Recruit-Proof Your Child”; Caleb Lee Brundidge, a self-described former gay man who leads “healing seminars”; and Don Schmierer, a board member of Exodus International, whose mission is “mobilizing the body of Christ to minister grace and truth to a world impacted by homosexuality” — are now trying to distance themselves from the bill.

“I feel duped,” Mr. Schmierer said, arguing that he had been invited to speak on “parenting skills” for families with gay children. He acknowledged telling audiences how homosexuals could be converted into heterosexuals, but he said he had no idea some Ugandans were contemplating the death penalty for homosexuality.

“That’s horrible, absolutely horrible,” he said. “Some of the nicest people I have ever met are gay people.”

Mr. Lively and Mr. Brundidge have made similar remarks in interviews or statements issued by their organizations. But the Ugandan organizers of the conference admit helping draft the bill, and Mr. Lively has acknowledged meeting with Ugandan lawmakers to discuss it. He even wrote on his blog in March that someone had likened their campaign to “a nuclear bomb against the gay agenda in Uganda.” Later, when confronted with criticism, Mr. Lively said he was very disappointed that the legislation was so harsh.
    Mr. Kaoma was at the conference and said that the three Americans “underestimated the homophobia in Uganda” and “what it means to Africans when you speak about a certain group trying to destroy their children and their families.”

“When you speak like that,” he said, “Africans will fight to the death.”
    Uganda has also become a magnet for American evangelical groups. Some of the best known Christian personalities have recently passed through here, often bringing with them anti-homosexuality messages, including the Rev. Rick Warren, who visited in 2008 and has compared homosexuality to pedophilia. (Mr. Warren recently condemned the anti-homosexuality bill, seeking to correct what he called “lies and errors and false reports” that he played a role in it.)

Ah, 'Christians'. Invent a big dark gay agenda, and by doing so, help create a real big dark agenda where innocent people are demonised and killed. Then when they see what their vitriol has borne, they backpedal so fiercely. I hope they look forward to their judgment day.

It looks like this law might be introduced very soon

It would help if people signed both of these petitions ASAP

http://www.allout.org/en/petition/uganda

http://www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_stop_homophobia_petition/?fpla

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Don't forget to sign the 2 petitions

Terry Pratchet

I'm not L, G, B, or T myself, but I'd like to follow up on that: according to Avaaz, the bill was shot down but they're trying to get it in again on Friday. They're asking people to call their heads of state and/or foreign affairs ministers to ask them to show their opposition to the bill: http://www.avaaz.org/en/uganda_call_to_stop_homophobia/?cl=1067276942&v=9091
    I don't agree with everything LGBT activists stand for. But everyone deserves the right to life and to live in peace as far as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

They extended the spring season JUST to get this thing through:(

Terry Pratchet

http://www.autostraddle.com/uganda-drops-kill-the-gays-bill-something-that-we-did-worked-88383/
    UPDATE – FROM ALLOUT.ORG:
    Uganda’s parliament just announced that they are extending the Spring session for one extra day—an extraordinary move showing the parliament’s commitment to pushing this death penalty law through by whatever means necessary.
    Time is short so we need act fast. Nearly 500,000 people have joined our campaign to stop this bill, and together we’ve created an international outcry noticed by politicians and the media around the world.
    UPDATE AGAIN:
    Not only is Uganda’s Parliament extending their legislative session just so they can be sure that voting on this bill goes through, but it seems like the death penalty may not actually have been removed.
    According to the report, MP David Bahati, author of the legislation that was first introduced in October 2009, reportedly told the committee that the death penalty could be stripped from the bill. The committee, however, decided to keep the death penalty, by rewording the provision to match the current penal code making “aggravated defilement” punishable by death…
    The committee’s report does remove some provisions, but adds criminal penalties for “conducting a marriage ceremony between persons of the same sex.” The next step would be for the committee’s report to head to the full Parliament on Friday for debate before being subject to a vote.

Yeah I don't think that's accurate - She is also linking in that article to associated press on the issue and the emails (I'm on 2 international LGBT mailing lists) that I've been receiving basically said there were lots on inaccuracies in the associated press article

IGLHRC has just issued a press release saying it won't go through this session

http://www.iglhrc.org/cgi-bin/iowa/article/pressroom/pressrelease/1390.html

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

AllOut.org were the people organizing the most recent big petition, they were the ones saying it was being extended, not Associated Press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Just posting a link for anyone who might be interested, it's a BBC documentary called "The World's Worse Place To Be Gay".

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/worlds-worst-place-to-be-gay/

My internet connection is really bad at the moment so I have no idea what it's like, trying to load it at the moment and it's painful. Could be a interesting watch though.

PS: Don't read the comments. I have no idea where all these trolls come from. Even the commentators that are "tolerant" are coming across as horribly ignorant.

Advertisement